Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Keeping the Law

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:35 pm
How did Jesus keep the law when he forgave the adultress, instead of stoning her? The Pharisees did not bring the adulterer either, for some reason. I'm just trying to understand this.

John 8

New King James Version (NKJV)

8 But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

2 Now early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people came to Him; and He sat down and taught them. 3 Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, 4 they said to Him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?” 6 This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear.

7 So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” 8 And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9 Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?”

11 She said, “No one, Lord.”

And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.”

12 Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”

Also

Leviticus 20:10

10 ‘The man who commits adultery with another man’s wife, he who commits adultery with his neighbor’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress, shall surely be put to death.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:29 pm
You're right, that is a bit confusing, isn't it. Granted, he did come to forgive sins and show mercy on people. He came and made all these changes to Jewish culture and their Law (whatever "Law" that may be, I'm not sure), but at the same time Jesus said that he came to fulfill the Law and the Prophets, and not to destroy it.

Matthew 5:17-30 makes the issue even more confusing.

Not sure where the adulterer was and why there weren't any details about his life being threatened, though.

I personally just always thought that the words of Jesus always outweighed the words of Moses.

If anyone else has any thoughts on this, let me know. Because I actually have no idea here.  

Blaise-Ingram

Dangerous Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
Bible and other christian discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items