Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Mongooseh's Weekend at a UK Nerf Larp

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:18 am
Just a placeholder till I can bother to write up what I did.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:40 am
Okay so for a bit of context.

"Big Damn Heroes is a Live Action Roleplay, based in Chatham in Kent, that uses Nerf Guns as well as normal LARP safe melee weapons. Check out www.GordianKnotGames.co.uk/gkgforum/ to find the rules, background and history."

That's all they give in the facebook page but to clarify further from my experience it is a LARP with a setting which steals heavily from Firefly and apparently Babylon 5. Though of course this is subject to what players play and so far I've only seen one brown coat. The group my friends joined while I was monstering were basically space soviet union, there was also a space western group and then some more professional looking mercenary groups and independents.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:44 am
Now for a bit more context:

I was not a player for this weekend I was a monster since it was free to monster and I was new to the system and as such didn't want to waste money on something I might not like.

Monstering is pretty much where the referee's will give you a statline, equipment, objective and a spawn point. This can range from excessively simple to quite complicated objectives.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:57 am
Day 1

Linear 1

Role: Armed forces of some form.

Brief: The mercenaries have boarded your ship and you have to repel them and keep your captain alive.

Objective: Repel boarders and protect captain.

What actually happened:

We started off by this gateway where we were the initial rapid response unit to the gun cutter which boarded our ship so we took up defensive positions around the gate ready to hose them as they came in. What happened next was annoyingly quick and simple, *plonk* 'Is that a grenade?' BANG! and most of us dead and a quick breach and clear was performed by the mercenaries. On to the next stage.

We now had to hold our ground in the barracks a series of square rooms which are quite easily defensible with enough fire power. This became a long and drawn out fire fight which I had not much part in but eventually the mercenaries became impatient grenading then moving up, I only had a sword and a pistol so I stood ready next to a door way to hit someone coming through. I got about one hit on before they stormed through gunning me down with automatic fire. Next and final stage.

The final area was a place called the sunken courtyard a building which can be defended really well since there is no cover to take before the building. This is where we had to keep our captain alive. I still only had my shitty pistol and a sword so I kept to the back allowing others with better weapons to take the fight to them. The mercenaries were having real trouble pushing through even with grenades this time since we could retreat to rooms where we could continue firing on them. We did eventually get pushed back to some very far back rooms but the players took too long so those with melee weapons (me and two others) were ordered to do a suicide charge.

We ran out with a war cry swords held high the one leading this charge took one guy in heavy armour down before being gunned down and by then the surprise was lost so as I charged out the front I was quickly gunned down also. From there it was a slow process of the Mercenaries finishing off whatever was left.

A small break was had before we moved on to linear 2.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:17 am
Linear 2

Role: Elite forces in comparison to the grunts we were before (Called the Shadow Legion)

Brief: Some mercenaries have taken over your ship and you are to take it back without prejudice. (aka the refs were getting annoyed at how long the players were taking so they upped the difficulty)

Objective: Stop the mercenaries from escaping the ship with whatever they took.

What actually happened:  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:55 pm
Mongooseh
We started off by this gateway where we were the initial rapid response unit to the gun cutter which boarded our ship so we took up defensive positions around the gate ready to hose them as they came in. What happened next was annoyingly quick and simple, *plonk* 'Is that a grenade?'

I'm sorry, but "Is that a grenade?" are AWESOMETASTIC last words. I'm still rofling over them.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas