Submit

Sky Blue Faerie

Beloved Lunatic

10,800 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:05 pm
the flea treatment I put on my cat isn't working, but I have to wait 3 more weeks to put something else on him. can I put garlic powder in his water until then?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:03 am
Cats are sensitive to garlic, don't risk it.

Are you also treating your home? That's a big one. Even if the fleas ON the cat die, there are so many more lurking in your home. Vacuum everywhere! Wash all of your pet's bedding regularly, and if your pet sleeps somewhere that is easily washed (e.g. on the bedsheets), wash those too. I've heard of success just by doing these simple things, without moving onto chemicals.

What are you using? I've used Advantage to some success, but lately it seems to not work as well. I switched to revolution, and that took care of it, so now I just do prevention treatments.

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Sky Blue Faerie

Beloved Lunatic

10,800 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:06 am
I do need to vacuum more often but they were definitely on him. I combed through his fur when I kept getting bit and he was covered up. He didn't appreciate the bath and it didn't work. (use my shampoo, couldn't find flea shampoo for cats at the dollar general.)  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:43 pm
Sky Blue Faerie
I do need to vacuum more often but they were definitely on him. I combed through his fur when I kept getting bit and he was covered up. He didn't appreciate the bath and it didn't work. (use my shampoo, couldn't find flea shampoo for cats at the dollar general.)

Rather than using human shampoo on pets, or buying pet shampoo at the dollar store (I wouldn't trust the quality, personally), use Dawn dishsoap.

What are you using for flea treatment?

Getting him flea-free won't help much if the house is infested with them - he'll just collect more

~ Aki - Fairy ~

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:47 pm
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Sky Blue Faerie

Rather than using human shampoo on pets, or buying pet shampoo at the dollar store (I wouldn't trust the quality, personally), use Dawn dishsoap.

What are you using for flea treatment?

Getting him flea-free won't help much if the house is infested with them - he'll just collect more

+1 for Dawn. Also, whatever you do, do NOT use Hartz or Sergeants. Even their off-shoot, Sentry, is pretty terrible (although I think, at worst, it simply doesn't work; I haven't heard of Sentry killing anyone's pet yet). See this for the full story: http://www.hartzkills.org/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:41 am
My mom told me to spray him with vinegar before he goes out so the fleas don't like his smell and I finally did some house keeping. The problem seems better. He doesn't like the vinegar but oh well. Already had a spray bottle full because that's what I clean with.

I used sergents silver but I won't be buying that again.  

Sky Blue Faerie

Beloved Lunatic

10,800 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:48 am
If you are going to be using a flea treatment. DON'T buy anything outside of a vet clinic. This does mean your pet needs to have been SEEN by a vet in the last year or two but there's a reason we don't give drugs without having seen the pet, a drug you can buy over the counter is not to be trusted!

I really like revolution for cats. Advantage is a pesticide sad We don't recommended it in my clinic. Also beware advanTIX is toxic for cats. So don't get it for your dog of you have a cat. Revolution prevents flea reproduction, so it will not instantly get rid of the fleas. But it will get rid of them and prevent them from coming back. You can ask your vet for a flea product that kills adults if you want instant relief. Keep in mind revolution also protects against Intestinal worms.

You could also try sprinkling diatomaceous earth on your pet, his bed and places he sleeps etc. be sure to vacuum really well first and often until the issue is resolved.

Honestly I don't feel flea sprays work well on cats. 1rst cats are very sensitive to essential oils and you need a high concentration to actually repel fleas. You could sprinkle a lil garlic in the food but if you put too much you could cause anemia. So I don't really recommend that either.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games