Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
Behaviour question! (MP-related)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

koromyst

Illuminated Star

19,900 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:41 pm
User Image First and foremost, I apologize in advance if this question does not really belong here. But it's a question nonetheless =P

This is in regards to the current REI, Wisteria. So you see, I've been keeping close track to this item, snooping out feedbacks from those in vending/hoarding guilds (most are against this item; profit-wise) and from the Wisteria fanthread in GCD (Fanthread. What else do you expect but pure fangirling on the item in there xD).

I took a dive one day and nabbed one going for 390k-ish in the MP. Then listing it randomly at 475k =D I wasn't expecting it to be sold any sooner but apparently it did (O_O) Like a few hours later. So, when I checked the MP, the lowest price was going for 420k-ish. Mine was sold at 475k-ish. I was like... huh? (O_O) Because I was definitely sure that when I listed mine for 475k, there were still some listed at 425k, 435k, a couple of 450k-ish, 460k-ish, 470k-ish and finally my 475k. Followed by the higher priced ones.

At that time, I wasn't thinking of intentionally selling it fast (hence, me listing it at a somewhat higher sort of price). More or less like 'booking' a spot in the MP so that I can monitor the changes in price accordingly with its Tuesday/Friday evolution. Like a bookmark sort of thing in the listings =D I know, complicated. But it's how I do my 'price monitoring' xP Don't ask. To each his/her own preferable way of vending/hoarding =P

Which brings us to the main point of this thread. The question. What is the deliberate cause of such behaviour? Why did that person bought mine at a higher price when he/she can obviously get it at a cheaper price? Was it pure mistake on his/her end? Or was it intentional?

I'm not saying that I regretted selling my Wisteria at that price =D I mean, I made a huge chunk of profit there. But I also feel kind of bad for the said buyer since he/she had literally taken a loss there =P

So, why do people do this? Are they unaware of the existing cheaper listings? Are they buying from favourite listers? Are they uber rich people who do not even care if their purchase was a loss on their end?

On a side note, the profit gained from the sale enabled me to buy another Wisteria at 400k in which I listed it back at you know what price emotion_awesome Another side note... I kind of like this item. The leggings, boots, hair and bangs are pretty much what reels me in to take a risk and invest in this item. Expecting the final evo to have a background or facemod =P User Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:17 am
Not sure what exactly happened there, Koro.

There are three main reasons an item would sell for well above LMP (Lowest Market Price). If it sells immediately after listing or just before the listing ends, then it could be snatched up in the Just Added or Expiring Soon listings by somebody who thinks its a good deal and doesn't want to take the risk of losing it by wasting time on a price check. Since yours sold hours after listing it, neither of those should apply to your case. The only other common way would be if there is a lot of buy/sell action happening on that item, then the LMP can rise and fall quite drastically as people buy up items in a spree, then start dumping them back into the market and lowering the price again.

Were there a lot of daily sales for this item? If so, then I would probably blame rapid movement in the marketplace. Perhaps the LMP did temporarily peak to your level before going back down again?  

Ned-san

Friendly Phantom

7,550 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Champion 300
  • Invisibility 100

koromyst

Illuminated Star

19,900 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:39 am
Ned-san

User Image Thank you, Ned! xD

I think that the second part of your explanation so far described pretty much what happened. I guess a larger portion of Gaians might have been aware of the Tuesday mini evo and bought the lower ones up, assuming that the recent hair bangs pose would become one of the main attractions to the item and my 475k one was included as 'the cheaper ones' at that time so it was picked up as well? xP Guess I was lucky. Lololololol xD~

Okay, I think my conscience is relieved now =D *feels guilt-free xP* User Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:07 pm
koromyst

you...had a Wisteria...
*has it privately Wishlisted*
cat_emo

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

Kommissar Plankton

Greedy Capitalist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:26 pm
Well, I can tell you that it may have been someone who knows who you are. I may not be the wealthiest Gaian, and hell, not even close to the wealthiest person in this guild, but when I see someone I respect listing something on the marketplace I go out of my way to buy it. Maybe that's why I don't have much, I give to those who deserve and those who need. I'm really getting into the mood for giving in this holiday season... Should I start a donation thing?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:04 pm
Kitalpha Hart

User Image Yes I definitely had one... or two to be exact emotion_awesome
I'm glad I went with my instincts and invested on the item =D Even if it was just two, I profited so that's okay enough for me (^O^) Now snooping around for lower 2nd gens. Here's to hoping a re-release and probably a recolor xD User Image

koromyst

Illuminated Star

19,900 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100

koromyst

Illuminated Star

19,900 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:09 pm
HoganT

User Image You should! (^O^)
If there are loads of Gaians like you, Gaia will become a very happy place to prance about xD~ *imagines self skipping daintily in the forums*

But I like your thoughts on the matter! xD Sometimes, I would also do the same thing. But as long as the said people are selling items I can afford to buy =P
User Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:50 am
HoganT
When I see someone I respect listing something on the marketplace I go out of my way to buy it.

I also do this. If I am buying an item to keep I'd rather buy it from someone I know than the random lowest listed person. Paying a little more doesn't bother me.  

Jace Quin

Savvy Pirate

30,075 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Jack-pot 100

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:40 am
koromyst
Kitalpha Hart

User Image Yes I definitely had one... or two to be exact emotion_awesome
I'm glad I went with my instincts and invested on the item =D Even if it was just two, I profited so that's okay enough for me (^O^) Now snooping around for lower 2nd gens. Here's to hoping a re-release and probably a recolor xD User Image

i hate you.*
*figuratively

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Kitalpha Hart

User Image Lol emotion_awesome User Image

koromyst

Illuminated Star

19,900 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100

Kitalpha Hart