Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Overpowered?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:35 am
It was high time we had a discussion, eh?

Here's the topic of the discussion: the Iron Body Ki Focus (4e)

Quote:

Iron Body Ki Focus Level 5+

This set of weights consists of rune-scribed chunks of lead
laced together with leather straps. When tied to your feet and
hands, you can perform the exercises needed to master the iron
body technique.
Lvl 5 +1 1,000 gp Lvl 20 +4 125,000 gp
Lvl 10 +2 5,000 gp Lvl 25 +5 625,000 gp
Lvl 15 +3 25,000 gp Lvl 30 +6 3,125,000 gp
Implement (Ki Focus)
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d10 damage per plus
Property: If you hit an opponent with an attack using this
ki focus, you gain resistance to all of that target’s attacks
equal to 2 + this implement’s enhancement bonus until the
end of your next turn.

Looking at this, a few things pop into mind. "HOLY BUCKETS! THIS IS OVERPOWERED!" "THIS WILL MAKE MY KI-USERS MORE AWESOME!"

I look at it and think...it isn't overpowered. Sure, the ability to resist 3-8 damage is nice, and the fact that it isn't limited to one target gives controllers a fighting chance. However, resisting damage isn't going to prevent forced movement, ongoing damage, and other status effects.

I open the floor to you, fellow D&D players. Is this item overpowered?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:13 am
Well, part of the balancing factor is that it is level 5. For a, say, 5th level starting character, you could choose a +1 Iron Body Ki Focus, or a +2 Magic Ki Focus (level 5 and level 6 item respectively).

Compared to 3rd ed, accuracy in 4th I feel is more important than damage. Most people only have one shot a turn. This is important for monks too, because your Flurry of Blows needs to hit to trigger.

Of course, there's the fact that it only works against the opponent you hit. Your opponent could just as well MISS you, making it a moot point. If you are only engaging one opponent at a time, the benefits are small (good over the long term of a period between extended rests, however).

It really shines when you use Close Bursts (and Blasts for some monk powers, I believe?). You hit multiple enemies, and gain multiple resistances to each of them. That's awesome, right?

Oh, wait, you're surrounded by enemies, are you aren't a defender. Balls.

Unless you are an Iron Soul monk, this might buy you a turn, maybe two before a Leader has to start expending powers on you as their actions. Heaven forbid if you don't have one. Non-IS monks don't have the Constitution to be pulling off stunts like this combat after combat unless he/she becomes "that character" that determines when everyone takes extended rests.

An IS monk's flurry keeps enemies from getting away, making it defenderish in nature. Probably your best set-up with this ki focus, either for one-on-ones or close attacks. For other monks, it'll be good to prolong their death as long as you keep your targets limited, letting the -2 damage accumulate slowly over time.

If your DM throws lots of minions and regular creatures, this ki focus shines, definitely, if you want to play defensively. If you see lots of Elites or possibly even Solos, then this actually isn't as good of an option anymore.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:10 am
Not so much good for minions, since if you hit one it dies, and then the damage resist is a moot point.

The multiple enemy thing is what I would have noted. If you only hit one thing at a time, and you have multiple enemies, the resist is only good for one of them. And most classes that would pick up a ki focus don't typically want to be targeted by many things anyway.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:28 pm
Where I see it becoming amazing/broken is in two areas, both of which require MCing into either Monk or Assassin to get the Ki Focus.

1) Controllers - Since most of their abilities are ranged based AoEs, this focus can help them immensely.

2) Defenders - Here's where it gets broken. An already hard-to-hit defender (say Warden) is now able to shrug off more damage than he should if his buddy decides to strike back.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items