Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Why do we pray for ill and dying people?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PuellaSumDei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:11 pm
My grandfather had heart surgery recently and my mother told us to pray for his recovery. He's fine; doing well and all that, but it got me thinking.
God has his plans. He isn't changing them for anybody. What if he had decided it was my grandpa's time to go? Or if someone has cancer and God wants them to join him, and you make a big group of people pray for the patient...Our prayers certainly aren't going to do anything to change God's mind. His plans are permanent.

I've always been avid when it came down to praying, and I'm not going to stop or start strongly doubting anything about my religion. I just want to know why we pray for things like that if for no other reason than it makes us feel better.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:45 pm
I pray for the ill so that they may be healed. If it is God's will for the person to pass one, I will accept that but how am I to know if every death is in God's plan? That is to say, in the event someone accelerates their demise with unhealthy habits.

Once the person is dead, I pray to express to God that I hope the person is saved if I did not get the chance to meet the person and give testimony. Whether the person or ascended or not is then left to God and I go on with my life. Just as I must trust Christ with my life, I must trust the lives of others to Him. In all things, may His will be done. Amen.  

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500

PuellaSumDei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:03 pm
Servant Reborn
If it is God's will for the person to pass one, I will accept that but how am I to know if every death is in God's plan? That is to say, in the event someone accelerates their demise with unhealthy habits.

Everything is God's plan, though. He knows the past, present and future. Every death has already been decided by Him. So if they are already destined to die at that precise moment when they are in the hospital and such, I don't know why we pray for them to stay alive because if he's already decided that they die, our prayers won't change anything.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:34 pm
Where do you get that belief from? I'd like to read where you found that every death is part of God's plan.  

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:12 am
This may be an old post, but I must say that God is the great physician. He can heal absolutely anything. There have been people on death's doorstep that have pulled through with prayer.

When God was striking the plagues against Egypt - Moses has prayed for Pharaoh because Pharaoh had asked for prayer for the plague to stop and God stopped the plagues each time because Moses prayed. However, God was still determined for His people to go free.

Also, at one point, Miriam and Aaron had been poking fun at Moses for marrying his wife who was a Cushite and look what happens:

Numbers 12:10 - 15 NIV

When the cloud lifted from above the tent, Miriam’s skin was leprous—it became as white as snow. Aaron turned toward her and saw that she had a defiling skin disease, and he said to Moses, “Please, my lord, I ask you not to hold against us the sin we have so foolishly committed. Do not let her be like a stillborn infant coming from its mother’s womb with its flesh half eaten away.”

So Moses cried out to the Lord, “Please, God, heal her!”

The Lord replied to Moses, “If her father had spit in her face, would she not have been in disgrace for seven days? Confine her outside the camp for seven days; after that she can be brought back.” So Miriam was confined outside the camp for seven days, and the people did not move on till she was brought back.

*Miriam was put outside the camp with leprosy because she was unclean, but only for one week because Aaron had asked God and Moses had prayed. If they didn't pray for their sister, Miriam, she probably would've died a leper.

*Also, remember when Jesus went about healing the blind, the sick, the maimed? There were people that had such great faith that they would ask Him to heal. Jesus didn't heal all those people for nothing - all of these miracles proves that God can heal anything!

Just because your prayers weren't helping you does not mean that God wasn't listening. God answers prayers in interesting ways. We need to keep praying and have faith - even though God knows our needs and wants - if we ask, that is important because through prayer - we are giving God a channel to work through to help. Sometimes, it takes God time to work out our prayers and we must keep faith during that time of waiting to see what happens.

We pray because God works miracles.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:53 pm
Well there was that one time God changed his mind about Jonah.

Jonah got swallowed by a big fish, and he prayed to God in the belly of the fish, and God then told the fish to spit Jonah out.

Also, part of the same story, God was originally going to destroy the people of Ninevah, but the people changed their minds about God because Jonah was sent to warn them.
So Jonah 3:10, and the book of Jonah in general has some interesting implications and thoughts about prayer (and repentance too, I guess).

All the same, Jesus prayed before he died in hopes there might be some way to change God's mind and find another way to do this, but alas, that did not happen. Sometimes what needs to be done is done.

I wouldn't say that EVERY death is part of God's plan, I have no proof for or against that. But none-the-less, death is a part of life, from the smallest bacterial cells to the largest and most complex creatures on earth. Death is a part of this world.  

Blaise-Ingram

Dangerous Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:04 pm
I forgot about this, but we also pray to glorify God. It's evident of our faith in him to heal the sick.  
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:04 pm
ask and ye shall receive, though I think it's fair to say that it's received only if it's gods will.

Personally I pray for them because I believe that God helps us when we do all that we can do- which includes humbling ourselves to ask for help. Even if we don't get our loved one healed, we can pray for them to be comforted in their passing, and for us to accept it the best way that we can.  

thetikignat hozergnat

Wheezing Lunatic

Crypt Keeper 2010

Loyal Defender

9,650 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:28 pm
Luna_LoneWolf
My grandfather had heart surgery recently and my mother told us to pray for his recovery. He's fine; doing well and all that, but it got me thinking.
God has his plans. He isn't changing them for anybody. What if he had decided it was my grandpa's time to go? Or if someone has cancer and God wants them to join him, and you make a big group of people pray for the patient...Our prayers certainly aren't going to do anything to change God's mind. His plans are permanent.

I've always been avid when it came down to praying, and I'm not going to stop or start strongly doubting anything about my religion. I just want to know why we pray for things like that if for no other reason than it makes us feel better.

Because the last time that I checked my King James Version of The Holy Bible;
God is the same today as He was yesterday, and if willing and we are still here.. He will be the same wonder working, mircle making, loving, caring and magnificent God tomorrow!
And as a short family fact. I had a 1st cousin that had been battling with stage 4 cancer in her lung. She was put on the family's and the churches prayer list that when she visited the Doctor on this past Wednesday that she would be completely healed by the hand of God.
Guess what?????
My uncle called and said that the Doctors could not find a trace of the cancer in her at all.
This after two years of chemo and all sorts of personal heck she has gone through.
The Doctors could not medically explain what happened between Monday when she had the scan done and Wednesday when she was checked again prior to a possible near death surgery to be performed.
YES!!!!!
I do believe that God is still in the business of hearing and answering prayers and is still in the business of healing!

True story folks. It just happened this past week of May 27th through to the 29th of 2013.

Can I get a AMEN!!!!

Coop.  
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:24 pm
thetikignat hozergnat
ask and ye shall receive, though I think it's fair to say that it's received only if it's gods will.

Personally I pray for them because I believe that God helps us when we do all that we can do- which includes humbling ourselves to ask for help. Even if we don't get our loved one healed, we can pray for them to be comforted in their passing, and for us to accept it the best way that we can.
This! ^

But I think that I would like to add that God can also help us get ready for whatever is about to happen, but we have to humble ourselves and ask Him for help.

I can say this though... my grandfather has been through a lot. He's had a massive stroke and that caused him to have neuropathy. It's something that he has to deal with on a daily basis... and it makes it extremely hard for him to walk... and he falls down quite often. He has had cancer twice. The first time they had to remove his stomach to get rid of a tumor the size of someone's fist... and the surgeon said that he had removed all of the cancer. Well they missed some of it... and it came back almost a year later. The second time that he had cancer... he had to go through so much chemo therapy, that it almost killed him.

But... through this experience I saw how much people cared about each other and how they came together when other people needed help. I saw Protestants, Catholics, and Mormon's coming together, putting their differences aside and praying together... Just to see my grandfather come out of this alright.

After my grandfather was told that he was cancer free for the second time... I knew that God had answered those prayers... and the first thing that I did when I found out that my grandfather was cancer free... I thanked Him for what He did for my grandfather... and I thanked Him for bringing people together. It was a life changing experience for me personally... it really is a humbling thing to go through.

Just a week ago the Doctors told my grandfather that he was lucky to be alive right now. They said the only thing that it could have been, was a miracle. I don't think that he would be alive right now... if those people did not come together and pray for him... and I still thank God for what He did, every single day.

I also want to throw this out there. I do not believe that everyone's future is set in stone. We are humans. We have free will to do what we want to do. And having free will means that there are many paths in front of us... each with a different outcome. God may know the future, yes. But God doesn't see things the way humans see them. God may be able to see each outcome of each path in front of us... but we are the only ones that can truly choose for ourselves, which one to take. So then, what if prayer is one of those paths in front of us to choose from? What if we can humble ourselves and pray for God's help? We may just get what we ask for... But as others have also said, sometimes it is His will for certain things to happen... but that doesn't mean that nothing can be changed at all. You never know until you try... sometimes trying changes everything. All of this is just my opinion though.

Fringie Jester

Hardened Warrior

Jaguar spirit

Devoted Cub

11,225 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Inquisitor 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:11 pm
I guess I see it as...
Healing is healing weather its in this life for the vessel of our souls (the body) to heal or that we go home where all is healed and right .  
Bible and other christian discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games