Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
game rule check

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

glitterboypilot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:29 am
I wanted to check on an idea for character creation, wondering if it is broken or not... if you guys don't think so, I will work it into a game... if so, then I will still make the game but without the rule.

For pathfinder/3.5

Spellcasters get a bonus spells per day equal to their constitution modifier plus their normal spell-casting modifier(spells known is still the same)

Martial characters, increase their hit die by one die size...d12 to d20, d10 to d12, d8 to d10 ext. ext. ext...

Mix classes, may choose one or the other at the time of creation  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:10 am
Though I'm not an expert on 3.5/Pathfinder, I would suggest d12 (avg roll 6.5) ->2d8 (avg roll 9). Going from d12 to d20 (avg roll 10.5) makes Fighters almost not worth playing.

I would consider a list, actually:

1.) Add Con Mod to Spells Per Day
2.) Increase HD by 1 die.
3.) Improve one saving throw.
4.) Increase skill points per level by 2.
5.) Gain a bonus feat at levels 1, 6, 11, and 16.

Possibly even pick 2 from the list? I'm not sure if improving BAB by 1 step would be too good (maybe as an option if you do pick 2; BAB and Spells might count for 2 choices?).  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Allurian Northeborne

Wheezing Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:03 am
I'm seeing issues. The extra hit die or improved hit die will only widen the gap between classes and make encounters difficult to plan. For example I'm running a game right now with a barbarian, a fighter, a druid and a cleric all players level 9 (There were some bad rolls..). The barbarian has 120+ hp while the cleric and druid have around 60 each. Add on an extra hd or improved and it goes up to lets say, 150, its a round number thats not to much higher. The challenge is that you need to put in monsters that will actually threaten the character with lots of health but that won't almost one shot the smaller characters and that is not easy. For each mod you give the party you essentially need to bump encounters up 1-2 cr to keep it challenging. The same with spellcasters, their weakness is that they can only cast so many times so they need to pick the right spell to use, by giving them more slots your just putting your monsters in line for the chop since the casters can have every spell all the time.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:29 pm
I know about the cr change, I just wanted to give something more to the characters, to make them build something beyond normal characters... I might steal Rain's idea(giving credit to him of course)... and might add anew line to it.  

glitterboypilot

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:23 pm
Why do you want to give a class that dominates the game the ability to get bonus spells equal to their Con modifier? Wizards and Sorcs are already MAD-light, needing only 2 good scores at the most, plus they dominate the game at all levels. If you substitute Intelligence/Charisma for Constitution, you're just making them even MORE powerful.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:30 pm
Keith Valken Lionheart
Why do you want to give a class that dominates the game the ability to get bonus spells equal to their Con modifier? Wizards and Sorcs are already MAD-light, needing only 2 good scores at the most, plus they dominate the game at all levels. If you substitute Intelligence/Charisma for Constitution, you're just making them even MORE powerful.

not substitute... add on.

example: a 1 level wizard with an intelligence of 13 and a con of 14 (mod is a 2) their number of bonus spells is equal to a 15 intelligence instead.

Yes, I know they are powerful, but I also know if I gave the non magical classes something, then the spell casters wouldn't want to play. I am just trying to equal out the game and make it where it is something other than norm  

glitterboypilot

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:20 pm
glitterboypilot
Keith Valken Lionheart

not substitute... add on.

example: a 1 level wizard with an intelligence of 13 and a con of 14 (mod is a 2) their number of bonus spells is equal to a 15 intelligence instead.

Yes, I know they are powerful, but I also know if I gave the non magical classes something, then the spell casters wouldn't want to play. I am just trying to equal out the game and make it where it is something other than norm
If you want to equal the game, then leave casters as they are, and if you still want to do something different with 'em, use the Spell point rule variant of Unearted Arcana. Maybe switch to Pathfinder, if all you have is 3.5. Give Fighters flat damage bonuses as they level up, say every 3 levels, but don't touch casters.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games