Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mockingjay ~ a Hunger Games Guild

Back to Guilds

A little guild dedicated to 'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins. 

Tags: The Hunger Games, Roleplays, Books, Suzanne Collins, Fans 

Reply The Capitol.
Rip-off

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gadesso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:41 pm
From what I hear the hunger games is a rip off of battle royale. I think the two of them are diffrent in a way.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:43 pm
Some people have told me my novel is a rip off of The Hunger Games, but that's only because my main character is a teenage girl that's skilled in archery. I mean, it's not like Katniss was the first girl to use a stinking bow and arrow!

Anyway, I've heard the same thing and while I would like to think that Susan Collins didn't copy off of another author, sometimes it is difficult not to be influenced by something you've read. Believe me, I should know. Also, I haven't read Battle Royale so I can't say anything about their similarities and differences :/ maybe that'll be the next book I read.  

Aislin Schreiber

Invisible Sweetheart

Hinata Uchiha202

Devoted Friend

7,375 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:41 am
I haven't read Battle Royal either. I guess the idea of kids being put against each other is similar. But I still think they are different. Nothing wrong with be influenced by another author. The Hunger Games in it's own way it is unique.

I don't think it's necessarily a rip off without reading Battle Royal though. I guess I may just pick up Battle Royal and read it. Their concept about kids is similar but the hunger games does have it's differences. I know battle royal has a movie so I don't know if I should watch the movie first or read the book first.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:22 pm
I heard they're actually both quite different underneath--to be technical though, they're both kind of a rip-off of gladiator stuff. Only one comes out.

Point is--nothing is entirely original, they're all just variations exploring the same themes.

Her inspiration was from what I read was combination of the war in Iraq and reality shows (always striving for newer, better, and most shocking!)  

Nyx Queen of Darkness

Devout Bloodsucker

28,200 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Miss_Obsidian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:42 pm
Nyx Queen of Darkness
I heard they're actually both quite different underneath--to be technical though, they're both kind of a rip-off of gladiator stuff. Only one comes out.

Point is--nothing is entirely original, they're all just variations exploring the same themes.

Her inspiration was from what I read was combination of the war in Iraq and reality shows (always striving for newer, better, and most shocking!)

My thoughts exactly. There can't be a completely original plot anymore, because every base idea has been done. And if there ever is a completely original idea for a story then I'd be shocked. People can make variations of the same base idea, but in the end another story may end up being like another one, but it doesn't mean that it was copied or a rip off. I've never read Battle Royal, but just because there is kids going up against other kids in both books, doesn't make it a rip off.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:21 pm
There was a website called cracked.com and it had a diffrent subject but it involved both stories. One quote that stuck was something like this: think of stories (such as battle royale and hunger games) like mannequins. Two of them are the same size yet one has a police outfit and the other a doctors outfit but since they both are the same size they are the same. Sorry if that confuses you thats how I read it as.  

gadesso

E_Trinket

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:52 am
They are similar and different at the same time. I have read both and seen the movies for both and I can say that there are a few things in THG that sound like they came right out of BR.  
The Capitol.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games