Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
Should Christians role play?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:29 pm
I notice that around the web - role play is incredibly popular! I know many people are into it and I used to be as well.

I love to write stories and tried role play in my early teens. I thought it was a lot of fun because I was role playing with someone who kept everything clean, too. However, I stopped later on because I noticed there were a lot of people that were a bit unpredictable and would turn it to be incredibly sexual and at that point it was no fun. After a while of looking for role plays - I didn't have much luck because most of them became sexual in some way. These days I don't have all the time in the world for it and have lost interest in it anyway and prefer to write my own stories.

I believe role play is okay as long as it can be kept clean with an appropriate storyline, even though this is hard to find at times. What do you all think?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:01 pm
Role-playing is a tool. That means you can use it or abuse it. My husband used it as a tool to increase his daughter's reading ability because she is dyslectic.

But I have seen a large majority of role-players that I personally knew are Really messed up people.

Lets just say, BE VERY CAREFUL.

Lupas Deva

Dangerous Elder

19,325 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Generous 100
  • Winged 100

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:37 pm
Lupas Deva

I don't understand how exactly role playing can help a person with dyslexia. Role playing can include typing on the computer, which probably wouldn't be as effective as actually handwriting it and on top of that to keep practicing to read would be more helpful.

I guess I should've been more specific what type of "role play" that I mentioned because a lot of this you mentioned is real life role play from what it sounds like and I was mostly referring to online role play.

From what you say altogether, it would've possibly been better to say, "People have done some incredibly crazy and dangerous things involving role play." instead of all the stories you paired with them with. From what it sounds like, you were involved with these people so hopefully you were able to get out of that crowd and stick with a good, Christian crowd that doesn't do anything like that, right?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:55 am
I agree with Lupas. Roleplaying is a tool. Roleplaying can be an expressive art, social device, and general motive for fun. On the other hand, roleplaying can become sinister, immoral, and delusive. Just like books, movies, TV, video games, or even something as simple as exercise, when it becomes a distraction from or a rebellion against God, the tool is being misused/abused. By itself, it is a neutral base to be sculpted. Devised by the wrong minds, it can be very dangerous, to faith and health.

As an RPG-veteran, I have enjoyed tabletop RPGs, like DnD or WoD, ARPGs, like final fantasy and Oblivion, and LARPs, using the good ol' imagination and some sticks outside with friends. In each circumstance I think you should be at least subconsciously aware of your motives. Are you roleplaying for social fun or to be expressive? Or are you roleplaying out of obsession for the game or inappropriate thoughts? It's all about motive. I roleplayed for fun, social activity, and expressiveness (I love to be creative and inspried by God). But I think ANY roleplay can go bad if you're just roleplaying out of obsession for combat/successful missions/leveling up/etc.

†††Shalom†††  

Necessitarian

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:52 pm
Role playing in and of itself - like many other things - is fine. It can be used for good fun reasons, but it can also be abused. As long as it stays within the proper boundaries nothing is wrong with it. I've never role played before, but form what others have said, it can be tons of clean fun.

Idk why so many people use it sexually, though. A friend of mine said that there's this one guy that trolls people who do that...it's so hilarious! It shifts from explicit behavior to Doritos! And then the other person disconnects. Ah, man...that guy is too funny.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:36 pm
There is nothing wrong with role play as long as it doesn't stray in a bad direction  

whisperkid12

Blessed Raider

6,900 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Champion 300

straven-bushido

3,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:13 pm
I don't think any thing is wrong with roleplaying but people saying "Pretty messed up people" I think is well "pretty messed up" hate the sin love the sinner.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:40 pm
It depends on the roleplay and what's all involved, I suppose. I've actually wondered the same thing. People I know would probably tell me that it depends on personal conviction from the Holy Spirit, if any, but I haven't really asked.
Otherwise I wouldn't really see it as giving place to the devil unless it takes time away from the time spent with God and reading/praying and becomes an "idol," or if the characters and/or plot are a very strong anti-God influence. If that makes any sense.

xXZirkannia

Interesting Citizen

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:05 pm
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; ~2 Corinthians 10: 5

Granted I use to Role Play in many ways, sexual included...I did it to hedge away from Sexual Encounters in person. But what I came to realize after so many mistakes and personal problems. The lusts and desires begin to sink in their thorns of perversions and illusions in the mind.( Still correcting to this day) Take it from my many mistakes, it's okay to Role Play, but have it centered around Godly things, Wish I hadn't done what I done, but it was my decision. And if you are unsure, just put it down for a later decision. X) God Bless.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:03 pm
xXZirkannia
It depends on the roleplay and what's all involved, I suppose. I've actually wondered the same thing. People I know would probably tell me that it depends on personal conviction from the Holy Spirit, if any, but I haven't really asked.
Otherwise I wouldn't really see it as giving place to the devil unless it takes time away from the time spent with God and reading/praying and becomes an "idol," or if the characters and/or plot are a very strong anti-God influence. If that makes any sense.

Yeah, it's definitely how the situation is treated 3nodding it makes a big difference.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:07 pm
Hamul
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; ~2 Corinthians 10: 5

Granted I use to Role Play in many ways, sexual included...I did it to hedge away from Sexual Encounters in person. But what I came to realize after so many mistakes and personal problems. The lusts and desires begin to sink in their thorns of perversions and illusions in the mind.( Still correcting to this day) Take it from my many mistakes, it's okay to Role Play, but have it centered around Godly things, Wish I hadn't done what I done, but it was my decision. And if you are unsure, just put it down for a later decision. X) God Bless.

I noticed there are a lot of sexual things that go on in role play games. I've sat in and watched a few out of curiosity and the sexual aspects got way out of hand. It's best to find a crowd that's well controlled and won't take it into sexual proportions. It's good you're correcting that and we all make mistakes, so keep working at it to stay away from the sexual aspects of it 3nodding  
Friendly Debate

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games