Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Okay guys, I'm done DMing

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vampfighter1
Crew

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:44 pm
I feel like I haven't done too well. My apologies, but I'm going to cease and desist.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:48 pm
Vampfighter1
I feel like I haven't done too well. My apologies, but I'm going to cease and desist.

... you haven't really even TRIED yet, though. neutral At least, not in the Dark Sun game.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Vampfighter1
Crew

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:32 pm
I'm not DMing anymore... not even IRL. I suck too much.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:39 pm
Vampfighter1
I'm not DMing anymore... not even IRL. I suck too much.

Debatable. I personally believe that one's self is define by others' perceptions of you, moreso than your own perception of yourself.

Trust me, I have trouble DMing for my RL group because I'm easily the least intelligent of the bunch, and my memory is somewhat faulty. I hadn't truly DMed before this guild, but its something I dedicated myself to doing regardless of what I thought of myself. I think I'm a better person for it.

Now if RL will stop getting busy all the time, I can DM more! >_<  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:51 pm
As you wish, though I partially agree with Rain... and add that self-image plays also a big roll... as long as you think your a bad dm, then you will believe it, and no one can talk you out of it.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:50 pm
Seriously, I've barely seen you dm, and what I've seen so far is fine. Certainly better than anything I could do. I suck at leading people, and the fact that you can corral enough people together to actually start a game is already better than a number of so-called "dm's" I've seen try to start games in here.

Trust me, the fact that no-one's even making a single criticism when we're on the internet should be a freaking clue ;p  

KytanaTheThief
Crew

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:17 am
I agree with the others and say you should keep at it. Ultimately though it's your decision. I hope you change your mind and continue the game, but if you don't want to, then what's done is done.  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:07 am
I imagine DMing is a lot like any other form of storytelling and takes a lot of practice to get better at. Have you noticed that for most authors that their more recent books are generally better than their first few? There's a bunch you can learn only through trial and error when it comes to storytelling.

Then you're also learning group management skills which also take time and practice. It's not easy to appease 3-8 other people and to keep them interested.

I encourage you to keep on going because it really is only through continuous practice that you will see improvement. You just have to remember that failure is a critical part in learning. Not just in writing, but all of the great inventors in history failed a lot of the times before they found something that worked.

tl;dr

Don't stop believin'  

Absolute Virtue

arononkorr

3,000 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:59 am
definitely better than me from what I've seen.  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:24 pm
Well, guys, I'm giving it another shot. Jorm, you're up in Athas. LETS DO IT!  

Vampfighter1
Crew

thaskarin

Familiar Phantom

6,150 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • PvP 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:55 pm
Vampfighter1
Well, guys, I'm giving it another shot. Jorm, you're up in Athas. LETS DO IT!
I've known some pretty good GMs in my time. Trust me, if you're actually willing to improve there's hope for ya.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games