Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Polyamory Guild

Back to Guilds

Polyamorous education, discussion, support. 

Tags: polyamory, polyamorous, poly, nonmonogamy 

Reply Gaian Polyamory Guild
Partners; How many is too many?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daemon Von Blaque

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:31 am
This is something that I've been having a lot of thought about and I was curious as to whether anyone else had been in this position. Right now I'm at a point where I don't think I can reasonably spare the time or effort for any more relationships. I'm sure the answer to this is highly individualized, so I'm not asking anyone to give a generalized estimate. I'm just asking what you think would work for yourself.

Here's a rundown on my relationship dynamic first. We're both open an poly. I have friends with benefits or casual encounters, but I also have committed relationships. I'm married, with our three year anniversary coming up. I have two boyfriends who are also in a relationship with each other. They both started as friends with benefits about two and a half years ago and progressed to relationships about two years and one and a half years ago, respectively. They started a relationship with each other about a year ago. Then, lastly, I have a new boyfriend with which I just finalized a relationship today after some debate as to whether we'd take that step after being friends with benefits for over 2 years.

I've decided that, at this point, I don't really have the time or energy for anyone else. I still have a few friends with benefits who are extremely important to me, but with who a "relationship" just isn't in the dynamic. (Like my best friend of over 10 years, who means as much to me as my spouse.) I find myself forming connections with people often, so it was a difficult decision, but I have to recognize my limit for the well being of my existing relationships and just for my own well being as someone with a tendency to spread myself too thin in all things.

My question to you guys; What do you think your limit is?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:36 pm
I think the only limit I can judge and set is my own.

I am good with 4 and probably cannot handle much more than this.  

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

fizznomore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:35 am
At the moment, I definitely don't think I have the time for more than these two relationships. The three of us are so busy all the time!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:44 pm
hmm... I'd say about 4 or 5 serious committed relationships of some kind, and any number of casual or non relationships....

but, I do count BDSM-style relationships alongside life-mate relationships. I oculdn't have 3 girlfriends or boyfriends and another 3 or 4 Pets.... I have a number of Pets and Slaves, and that usually limits my number of significant others to one or 2.

currently, though, I'm not realy in the state of mind to pursue girlfriends or boyfriends. so at the moment I don't think I could handle any! xd  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

Esiris
Crew

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:08 am
For myself, I think it's less about numbers and more about feelings- if I fall in love, and they love me, I'll balance my life so we can be together.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:36 pm
Esiris
For myself, I think it's less about numbers and more about feelings- if I fall in love, and they love me, I'll balance my life so we can be together.

I sort of figure this is how it would work for me if I happened to fall for another at the moment. But I'm deliberately not looking because time is so limited as it is.  

fizznomore

Elluenda

Friendly Fairy

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:23 am
I very rarely go out looking for partners. I'd willingly accept up to five-eight romantic partners at a given time, though (assuming it happened all magically and wonderfully like it did with my wife.) However many we can fit in the house and still have deep, healthy relationships with. I've had four, at the most, at one point. They were all a bit... um.. unhealthy and abusive, though. Better luck with the next few, I should hope.  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:19 pm
Englishpatient
I very rarely go out looking for partners.
I'm the same way- I never look for partners, I look for friends and if I happen to fall in love, great.  

Esiris
Crew

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Gaian Polyamory Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers