Rukia Arisawa

Sparkly Nerd

8,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:45 pm
Hello~ C:

I was wondering if anyone knew anything particular about vegetarianism is Japan, or how "veggie friendly" it is there. I would like to study abroad there in college, and am a fairly strict vegetarian.

Any help would be appreciated~

(I apologize if this thread is odd or silly sounding, and/or poorly worded, because that's what it sounds like to me right now!)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:38 pm
As long as there is market near by where you stay you should be fine. Unless you know Japanese very well, ordering at any restaurant will be difficult. But if you plan on making your food, you'll be fine. If you eat rice and tofu, they you'll be fine. Onigiri will be your new best friend. They became my best friends and I am not a vegetarian.  

Sailor Blue Rose

Romantic Lunatic

thejade9

Fashionable Bookworm

11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:07 am
If you're a vegetarian and you can't certain foods, you should create a list of the things you cannot eat and have it translated just in case. (If you're allergic to anything, you should also have this kind of list).

Also, it's good to learn how to ask things in Japanese, like "How is this made?" and "What is in this dish?" Some foods, even when they look completely vegetarian-friendly, are the opposite. For instance, miso soup may have a pork base in it, though you normally see seaweed or tofu floating in it. I would suggest learning how to make your favorite dishes or even bringing in a few vegetarian-diet cookbooks to keep meals interesting. I wouldn't say avoid the cafeterias and miss out on some cool friendships, but you could make your own lunch and tag along with some people, even if they're eating cafeteria food.

The culture in Japan is one of health, but not one of vegetarianism. They try to keep everything in balance, including eating meat for protein and B12 vitamins. Things like nuts are expensive, so it's better to opt for something cheap like onigiri or rolled eggs.

Since you don't eat meat, you'll probably want to take a B12 vitamin pill since meat is a main source for this vitamin. Bringing pills aren't a problem, but it's best to complete a yakkan shomei form. Though Narita Airport Customs doesn't normally check a person's belongings, it doesn't mean that they won't stop you or scan your stuff if they heighten security for some reason. You should fill out this form for any other medications you plan on bringing to Japan. Here's a link to help you with more information: http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-medimport.html  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:42 pm
Speacking to a few vegitarians that lived in japan, they said it was a nightnare. One of them eventul conceded and ate fish, for the pure reason that they could not ascape it in japan. However, they are vegitarian now that they are back in the states. They only eat fish well in Japan.  

Ura the rainbow King
Crew

Tipsy Trafficker

11,250 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Rukia Arisawa

Sparkly Nerd

8,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:32 pm
Sailor Blue Rose
As long as there is market near by where you stay you should be fine. Unless you know Japanese very well, ordering at any restaurant will be difficult. But if you plan on making your food, you'll be fine. If you eat rice and tofu, they you'll be fine. Onigiri will be your new best friend. They became my best friends and I am not a vegetarian.

I know some Japanese, and hopefully by the time I get there I'll know even more. c: I figure I'll be making at least some of my own food, but it'd probably be a good idea if I had a few basic food-prep questions down.~ Haha, and a good new best friend to have xD Onigiri ftw..!
Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:40 pm
thejade9
If you're a vegetarian and you can't certain foods, you should create a list of the things you cannot eat and have it translated just in case. (If you're allergic to anything, you should also have this kind of list).

Also, it's good to learn how to ask things in Japanese, like "How is this made?" and "What is in this dish?" Some foods, even when they look completely vegetarian-friendly, are the opposite. For instance, miso soup may have a pork base in it, though you normally see seaweed or tofu floating in it. I would suggest learning how to make your favorite dishes or even bringing in a few vegetarian-diet cookbooks to keep meals interesting. I wouldn't say avoid the cafeterias and miss out on some cool friendships, but you could make your own lunch and tag along with some people, even if they're eating cafeteria food.

The culture in Japan is one of health, but not one of vegetarianism. They try to keep everything in balance, including eating meat for protein and B12 vitamins. Things like nuts are expensive, so it's better to opt for something cheap like onigiri or rolled eggs.

Since you don't eat meat, you'll probably want to take a B12 vitamin pill since meat is a main source for this vitamin. Bringing pills aren't a problem, but it's best to complete a yakkan shomei form. Though Narita Airport Customs doesn't normally check a person's belongings, it doesn't mean that they won't stop you or scan your stuff if they heighten security for some reason. You should fill out this form for any other medications you plan on bringing to Japan. Here's a link to help you with more information: http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-medimport.html

Ahh, so many good ideas! I hadn't even thought about the vitamin thing, thanks! The information on the Embassy page was very helpful and informative. I'm used to making a lot of my own food, so no real surprises there~ xD Hopefully once I get more comfortable/fluent, I'll be able to figure out more of what I can and can't eat and the like. I don't have any allergies, so at least there's one thing I don't have to worry about! ^ ^

/is bringing her own peanut butter to Japan xP

Rukia Arisawa

Sparkly Nerd

8,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Nerd 50

Rukia Arisawa

Sparkly Nerd

8,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:44 pm
Ura the rainbow King
Speacking to a few vegitarians that lived in japan, they said it was a nightnare. One of them eventul conceded and ate fish, for the pure reason that they could not ascape it in japan. However, they are vegitarian now that they are back in the states. They only eat fish well in Japan.

Oof, not what I had hoped to hear, but thanks for the heads-up! C: Hopefully I won't have to give up and eat any fish or meats, and get myself educated in the food culture. I hope your friend doesn't have to do that again, that sounded horrible! :'(  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:19 am
One thing about living in Japan is that vegetables can be expensive. What you'll want to do if and when you get here is to find the nearest produce place. Normally, they're cheaper than a regular convenience store, but sometimes, the grandmas and grandpas selling veggies are really cheap too.

You can get vitamins in Japan, but they're a lot more expensive for one-fourth less than what you would get in the States. Here's a blog post I wrote about the basics of coming to Japan, which also has a blurb about food.

Also, if you plan on doing sports, it would be good to include a lot of eggs, and if possible, fish. I know some vegetarians who eat fish because pasta, veggies, fruits, and vitamin pills won't just cut it in providing that extra recovery push. But if you don't want to go with fish, eggs are ok. I'd recommend upping the carbohydrates (pastas, breads, rice) to give your body some extra fuel.  

thejade9

Fashionable Bookworm

11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Japanese culture

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items