Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Monstrous Gladiators [My CR > Your CR!] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vampfighter1
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:36 pm
twisted evil

I shall continue to deliberate on what this mastermind shall be.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:36 pm
Welp I know what I'm being LoL.

I am going as cliché as it gets ~ Caotic Evil Cleric of Orcus the demon lord of the undead.

That or something to do with Vermin if i can find somethin'  

Norin Brightblade

Romantic Conversationalist

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:36 am
Eh. My time as a DM has enabled me to whip up a sheet in about ten minutes. Pretty simple. The hardest part for me is writing a good background, but I'd only need to do that for my character. In the same time it'd take me to write up that background, I could have all my creatures statted and good-to-go with time to spare. >.>

Also, I question if a Chaotic character would be able to last in a long-term organized tournament. As well as keep a strict hold over their beasts, trainers, and guards. Good discipline always seemed more of a lawful trait to me. But hey, if you can make it work and stick to that alignment, more power to you. Me, I think I'll probably be rocking the Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil; Lawful Neutral, or True Neutral. Somewhere down there.

If I join. ... And quite frankly, I think I'd be an idiot not to, considering I did post the topic...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:50 am
Captain Ragnar Devonin

Also, I question if a Chaotic character would be able to last in a long-term organized tournament. As well as keep a strict hold over their beasts, trainers, and guards.

If you have ever read the Valdamar series by Mercedes Lackey. She gives a good example of how a chaotic can do exactly that. With Mornelithe Falconsbane yes he let his passions and whims rule him, but he enjoyed staying hid and taking things down slowly. Even as he did such he created a changebeast army that no one other than his survents knew about. Even with all this he went undetected untill late in the book when his own daughter betrayed him.

Its all in how you play him my friend lol tho I may go lawful i am still undecided on race and that will pull to oneside or the other  

Norin Brightblade

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:48 pm
Norin Brightblade
Captain Ragnar Devonin

Also, I question if a Chaotic character would be able to last in a long-term organized tournament. As well as keep a strict hold over their beasts, trainers, and guards.

If you have ever read the Valdamar series by Mercedes Lackey. She gives a good example of how a chaotic can do exactly that. With Mornelithe Falconsbane yes he let his passions and whims rule him, but he enjoyed staying hid and taking things down slowly. Even as he did such he created a changebeast army that no one other than his survents knew about. Even with all this he went undetected untill late in the book when his own daughter betrayed him.

Its all in how you play him my friend lol tho I may go lawful i am still undecided on race and that will pull to oneside or the other

While it would make more sense for lawful characters to be a part of this organization, I'm not going to cut out chaotic characters as well. I can see a chaotically aligned character participating in these events for certain reasons, but I just can't see good characters doing it, which is why they've been removed.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:56 pm
iLL iNTENT

Is there any class that would have a hold over vermin? Spiders, Rats, and other classic annoyances?  

Norin Brightblade

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:07 pm
Norin Brightblade
iLL iNTENT

Is there any class that would have a hold over vermin? Spiders, Rats, and other classic annoyances?

Druids have a few vermin-based spells but that's about it. In the starting pool of monsters, there's going to be something called a Mite that can give vermin telepathic commands. This way, they're able to direct their attacks, or even ride them as mounts. If you want to have a vermin-based team for the arena, then these guys should definitely make up the backbone of your team.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 pm
iLL iNTENT

Hmmm Looks like I'm going to stick to my dwarven undead cleric.

Also will it only be monsters in the selection or are bandits and maybe guards and things going to be allowed to be selected?  

Norin Brightblade

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:59 pm
Norin Brightblade
iLL iNTENT

Also will it only be monsters in the selection or are bandits and maybe guards and things going to be allowed to be selected?

Only monsters will be used for fighting in the arena. For your minions however are humanoid, and you can have them take whatever class you'd like. Just keep in mind what kind of monsters you want to be raising when creating your character and minions.

I cannot stress this enough, when you guys start having access to more powerful monsters, you need to make sure you have the means to keep them under control.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:12 pm
iLL iNTENT
Norin Brightblade
iLL iNTENT

Only monsters will be used for fighting in the arena. For your minions however are humanoid, and you can have them take whatever class you'd like. Just keep in mind what kind of monsters you want to be raising when creating your character and minions.

I cannot stress this enough, when you guys start having access to more powerful monsters, you need to make sure you have the means to keep them under control.

What do you mean sir'ra? I am just a simple priest with his few dedicated acolytes. So what if my lord is Orcus the demon lord of the undead? Does that make my religion any less profound than yours? OH it does! Well here why don't you explain why to me as I give you a tour of our lovely basement...

other than more minions and containing cells what do you mean by that? Would what I described before work for that?  

Norin Brightblade

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:14 am
Well what I mean is certain monsters might be harder to keep contained than others. If a monster has a fire breath attack, you need to take that into consideration. If they can use dimensional door you'd need some sort of force effect to contain them.

Certain monsters might have special qualities that would need to be taken into consideration, is the point I'm trying to get across.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:13 am
AH! I got ya now! yea I can see that. ok Danka! Anything else I need to put into consideration?

iLLiNTENT

Norin Brightblade

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:46 am
I've been gathering all the info we've came up with so far and organizing them into a (semi)final set of rules, and soon we should be ready to kick this off. I'll be running this in my own guild as I needed somewhere to start posting the info, and without player character sheets I couldn't request a subforum here. I already had a spare subforum in my own guild so I figured why not use the space.

To anyone still following this thread, if you are still interested, let me know and I'll send you a guild invite once everything is ready.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:16 am
iLL iNTENT

To anyone still following this thread, if you are still interested, let me know and I'll send you a guild invite once everything is ready.

Send me that invite mate!  

Norin Brightblade

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200

Epic Muffin Cannon

Dangerous Lunatic

3,850 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:23 pm
My only suggestion is a grouping of different challenge ratings, or "tiers" for people who want a high-powered campaign or to watch big battles. Price guide isn't my strong point.

1-3 (Mook Tier)- Typically less than 50gp to purchase a slave in this tier; most don't last much longer than a few rounds, but a rare few can and do progress to the next level. Typically, these are small savage humanoids like Goblins or Kobolds, or low-level animals.

4-6 (Grunt Tier)- Between 65-80 gp. Grunts can be larger savage humanoids such as Orcs or Gnolls, larger animals such as lions or tigers, or off-shoots of the common races such as Drow or Vashar (BoVD). Particularly cruel governments may allow criminals to be used as well.

7-9 (Minion Tier)- For at least 100 gp, these battles are precursors to more interesting fights. Battles between Giants and Magical Beasts, Evil Fey and Lycanthropes, or even summoned Aspects of the Gods themselves (See the Miniatures' Handbook) are definite attractions here.

10-12 (Elite Tier), At least 200 GP. These fights are between well-trained, well-groomed veterans of the previous tiers. Dragons are a crowd favorite, though the means of procuring one is tricky. Some of the Elites are monstrous volunteers seeking to test their mettle against foes that they know won't be missed.

13-15 (Boss Tier), Upwards of 350 GP, these battles can leave devastation all across the sands of the arena. Truly powerful foes are at work here, and combat can take place in three dimensions as dragons enjoy crowd-pleasing finishers from high in the air.

16-18 (Dragon Tier), 700 GP or more, these battles leave crowds roaring with applause. This is the penultimate round; the monsters hit hard, the warriors are armed with magic weaponry and attacks, and the profits one can make are staggering.

19-25 (Villain Tier), The big 1,000. These battles are truly climactic clashes of titans, with more blasts and sheer force of power than one could even know what to do with. How these gladiators are kept under control baffles even the most knowledgeable Conoisseur, but nevertheless, these sights are present time and time again.

"Special"- These battles are beyond the ken of mortal money, or even mortal arenas. These beasts here are of such world-shattering power that only under special circumstances (usually a favor from a deity) could one even hope to see one in action. The most popular "Special"- Tier battles occur on Ysgard or an appropriate, Valhalla-style plane. Sometimes, the Gods themselves venture into the circle of death.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff