Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Villian Motivation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:11 pm
Alright, so one of the things I've been doing is writing in a D&D plot book. Had an idea for a game, but no motivation for the villian. And I hate villians who are evil just to be evil.

So to get some actual D&D and not political discussion in here.

If you were a villian who controlled a plane of existance (say, the material) that was linked to 4 other planes (ignore the astral/shadow/alignment/element planes for now) - what would your motivation for trying to take them over (or destroy them) be?

My first thought I went to was to use an old villian for a game I ran once, but the whole 'half-breed who wants to kill non-half breeds' is just so... old and cliche. And every other reason I can think of just sounds... well, cliche.

Of course, there is something you need to do in each plane before you can destroy it (i.e. recruit the powerful wizard in one, kill the super paladin in the other) or else you'd fail. One idea I had was that the villian created his own plane, but screwed up somewhere, and it got split into one tiny one (his), and four large ones where a worlds sprung up.

But then the villian would have to be a lich, or an outsider, (insert ageless being), and those are just way too common for villians.

Any thoughts? I'll try and provide more detail tomorrow if I can get on (if not, it'll probably be a few days... )  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 pm
Can the villain, instead of being one, be a group or coaliation of groups aiming for similar goals? Like one is wanting a key item known on one plane but unknown it's location on said plane... Another is after resorces, money power, blah blah... and a third just want to test their might for their god. what better way than to take over a plane.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:31 pm
Captain Ragnar Devonin
One idea I had was that the villian created his own plane, but screwed up somewhere, and it got split into one tiny one (his), and four large ones where a worlds sprung up.

But then the villian would have to be a lich, or an outsider, (insert ageless being)
The villain could be a single powerful wizard, who at first really didn't want to be evil. Instead just wanted to make a plane where he and those like minded of him could go and be away from some kind of persecution here, but something happened, his realm shattered and that forced him over the edge.

He/she would still be good ish, just detirmind to put everything the way he wanted it  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:37 pm
It seems simple enough to me. All planes are meant to be one with the main plane. The Villain is just attempting to restore the oneness of his realm at all cost and bring about the harmony that he intended for his universe.

It also seems to me that your villain is of sufficient power to tell Age where it can go. For all we know, it could be an immensely powerful kobold sorcerer....it could be PUN PUN!

I'll go hide now.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:39 pm
I can see the plane's connection to other planes being a tax on that plane's latent energies. If I were ruler of a plane, I'd be more concerned with securing hold over my assets, rather than spreading them too far. All it takes is a single group of upstart adventurers to infiltrate my empire and break something important to ruin a lifetime's worth of planning, plotting, and machinations!

By destroying those neighboring planes, the energies of this plane will have nowhere to go. If I can then create a receptacle for them, something to draw them to one specific location, then I might be able to harness it as a power source that would give me such a technomagical edge over everyone else, my seat of power will never be toppled!

Works even better if you can simply sap the energies of the neighboring planes, rather than destroy them. Or rather, destroy them slowly by bleeding them dry. This way, the lands of the plane you rule can also remain bountiful.

--------------------

Alternatively, the plane I rule is where I keep all my stuff. To settle an ancient grudge or enact some ritual forgotten through the ages, I simply sacrifice the neighboring planes to draw an extremely nigh-omnipotent powerful entity to me (or set it free), so I can face it and slay it. If I win, then whatever the whole point of this activity is accomplished.

If I fail... well, I'm dead, so I don't have to pony up to the consequences of releasing a god-like angry deity into the realm to destroy it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:02 am
Perhaps only three of the planes have always been there, and the fourth plane (the antagonist's plane) is actually a mobile pocket of existence capable of movement on the astral plane. This fourth plane serves as a kind of ark for a dying outsider race. Their own plane was destroyed (for whatever reason) and now they are searching for a new place to call home.

Their mobile plane gets too close to this trio of other planes and is ensnared in the astral ties between the three, basically tangling it up and trapping it. Unable to continue their search, this race sends out a champion (the antagonist) to study these planes.

The champion finds that the planes are not compatible with their species' physiology. (Maybe there's something about the air or the water that would kill them if they stayed there for too long, or their bodies require a certain kind of magic field to sustain themselves.)

With their people unable to survive on these planes and the ark unable to continue its search for a suitable one, the champion then seeks a way to sever the astral ties between these planes, freeing the ark so they can continue on their journey.

Hmm, I actually rather like this idea. I might have to do something with that myself, lol  

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:46 am
I had an idea for a villain who was responsible for all the terrible things the PCs had to stop, but for all the wrong reasons, so even after they succeeded in stopping all these terrible and/or dangerous things, they'd still have to contend with his master plan, which was kinda out of left field. This villain specifically was a high ranking member of the believers of the source in sigil, and was trying to use a lot of forbidden and/or dangerous technology and magic to fast-track his diefication. So the players would defeat the pawns he sent to get his things, or stop some consequence of his trying to do something, but he'd still end up with what he was after, either using his authority to access things after the case was closed, or just because no one would suspect him amid much more pressing matters.

A similar setup could work for you, where your villain wants to perform some ritual, or reassemble some weapon, and it just happens that the easiest way to get the pieces for it involves several things that will also result in the destruction of these four planes. The players run around saving existence, and then to top it all off they find out all of it was just going to be collateral damage anyway once the true master plan is revealed.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:26 am
Wow. I knew posting here was a good idea. I'm a genius! But really. I don't really have much else to add now. I actually like most all of what has been posted here. Now to figure out which one I like best. xD.

*Scribblescribblescribble... - yes this is an actual pen and paper notebook. So. Writing. By hand. What? People still do it in this day and age!  

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

RafeRavel

Dangerous Survivor

6,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:45 pm
I know, this ones an old cliche too, but... what about madness? There's always the old Sheogorath method. It could be a case of everything is a game to this villain, life, death... everything. And destroying, or otherwise dominating these planes, is just a source of drones for the coliseum, or whatever else is their way of handling things. Hell, with an insane (and powerful enough) villain, it could be a case of, "I really want to remodel my plane, but there isn't enough room... I know! I'll wipe out these other planes and use them to make extra space!" And reasons for insanity could be vast. Perhaps there was a spell mishap, or maybe the character witnessed a horrible event. Or maybe the plane he/she lives in has an aura? miasma?(I know there's a better word, but it isn't coming to me right now...) about it that can drive a person insane from extended exposure/immersion in it. That last one could even be used as a tool to test the players, one more thing against them... that they cant kill with a sword, or magical attack. Or have I been playing too much Arkham Horror? Anyways, that's my two cents, hope it helps!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:41 am
You must bear in mind that the greatest villains seem to come from two camps, the ones who are SOOOOO depraved that you can't help but loathe them and the ones for whom you look at their motivations and backstory and find yourself saying "Would I be any different?"  

thaskarin

Familiar Phantom

6,150 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • PvP 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Epic Muffin Cannon

Dangerous Lunatic

3,850 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:14 pm
Hmmm...

He's a caring and compassionate uber-deity, but in his species terms he is still just a teen, prone to overreaction and impetuous decisions. When he sees what's going on in his realm at the hands of so many followers of other deities that shouldn't have any influence on his people to begin with (in his opinion), and how they keep attacking each other and killing each other, he hates it. He hates the violence. He hates what it's doing to everyone lost.

But, more than anything, he hates the weaklings who are making his people do it. The separation of the other planes is designed to cut off all communication with the other gods, before the young pacifist sets his sights on world peace. Whether the races of the world want it or not.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games