Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Advice ~ because we care
I have this friend...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shay Waivern

Lupine Genius

7,050 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:18 pm
Me and my best girl friend are always going at it because she is an atheist and I'm christian. Talking about events at my chirch is weird with her. She really is a nice person and I think of her as a sister. But we aren't really that close because of the religion thing and it sometimes separates us. How can we get over this and how can I tell her about christianity without her feeling like I'm trying to convert her? (sometimes she thinks that when I tell her what I do on sunday.)  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:30 pm
Jinx Goodluck
Me and my best girl friend are always going at it because she is an atheist and I'm christian. Talking about events at my chirch is weird with her. She really is a nice person and I think of her as a sister. But we aren't really that close because of the religion thing and it sometimes separates us. How can we get over this and how can I tell her about christianity without her feeling like I'm trying to convert her? (sometimes she thinks that when I tell her what I do on sunday.)

Trying sending her tracts and always pray for her
Chick.com  

Robotic Chewie19

jesusgirl115

Dangerous Friend

8,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:47 pm
Jinx Goodluck

The best things you can do is just be a friend. Let the love of God shine through you. Trust me, if you act and truly believe in God and love him with your whole heart people will notice something different about you.

Just pray for her. Don't try to force Christianity on her. 90% of the time it will only turn her away.

Now I'm not saying to give up, I'm just saying that God will guide you. Don't let things get awkward, if something funny happened at church, or youth group (not sure how old you are sweatdrop )
tell her say "Oh my gosh the most embarrassing thing happened to me at church yesterday. I was..."

I love your fire. and how your so excited about spreading God's Word. Don't let it burn out! Keep it going!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:30 pm
I have a lot of friends of many different faiths and there will always be issues of personal beliefs differing. The one thing I do is I share about the activities that I have been involved with in my church and the events. I save my personal spiritual accounts for those who understand or those who ask. Other then that I keep them in my prayers.  

Hathor The Mad

Friendly Hunter

18,775 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Converting 100 items 100
  • Party Member 100

Anonymous Mosh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:56 pm
jesusgirl115
Jinx Goodluck

The best things you can do is just be a friend. Let the love of God shine through you. Trust me, if you act and truly believe in God and love him with your whole heart people will notice something different about you.

Just pray for her. Don't try to force Christianity on her. 90% of the time it will only turn her away.

Now I'm not saying to give up, I'm just saying that God will guide you. Don't let things get awkward, if something funny happened at church, or youth group (not sure how old you are sweatdrop )
tell her say "Oh my gosh the most embarrassing thing happened to me at church yesterday. I was..."

I love your fire. and how your so excited about spreading God's Word. Don't let it burn out! Keep it going!

I'd have to agree with this. When she's ready, she'll ask. Accept her for who she is. And love her as you would yourself. You can agree to disagree. And you can set the best example of being a Christian just by doing so.

Anon. Mosh  
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:45 pm
Unfortunately, some people harden their hearts and only Jesus can break through to them. Just be her friend, love her as Jesus would, and pray! Prayer is powerful!!!!
When opportunities come, take them but go with caution and with the love of God. When you pray as for His guidance when speaking with her and He will be with you.
Keep your fire going!!

Serenity II

Beloved Friend

Blaise-Ingram

Dangerous Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:32 pm
Find things you can talk about that you have in common.

If church isn't one of those things, that's fine. You don't have religion in common, so don't talk about it if you're going to make her feel uncomfortable or damage your friendship.

Also, don't listen to what that person said about "sending tracts". If there's one thing people hate, it's being told what to do. Especially when it comes to religion. DO NOT SEND TRACTS. They are tacky, and make it look as if you're only being friends so you can convert them (granted, this isn't what you're trying to do, but it's how they'll interpret it). They do not care if you're just "trying to do what's best for them" because you have to remember that to atheists, there is no God.

There is no point in telling an atheist about supernatural or things about God, they'll just get annoyed and dislike religion and Christianity even more. When Christ comes up in conversation between be and someone who is an atheist, I talk ONLY about Christ and his teachings, and none of that other stuff in the Bible, and talk about how being a Christian for me is about simply "following the teachings of Christ", and I don't take a religious approach to it.

Point is, if God wants your friend saved, he'll do it. If God can harden hearts, he can soften them, too. It may not be your job or your duty to see that through to the end; you've done your job. You can still be friends.

So for now, just try to talk about things you have in common, instead of things you don't.  
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:34 pm
Robotic Chewie19
Jinx Goodluck

Trying sending her tracts and always pray for her
Chick.com

People really, really hate tracts. Just so you know.

The intention may be good, and it may sound all fine and dandy to Christians like us, but the general public really REALLY hates being pestered to convert or anything relating to trying to bring someone to Christ.

It only pushes people away by reinforcing their dislike for religion and Christianity. Trust me.  

Blaise-Ingram

Dangerous Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:16 am
If religion is a subject that makes the entire situation together as friends displeasing then perhaps put it on the back-burner in a sense. Some atheists out there are atheists because they have been hurt by those who are Christian, or have been hurt by a Christian church so they stray from it because it's a source of pain for them. I'm not sure if this is your friends case or not, but there is generally a reason why a person does or doesn't believe certain things. Sometimes if an atheist feels that we are putting pressure on them - which can range from a simple sentence such as, "I'll pray for you." it can push them away.

You can definitely agree to be different and believe your own things.

The great thing about this whole situation is that you can witness through your actions! You don't have to even mention God or Jesus while doing it. Act as Christians are supposed to, don't do anything that would give a signal to your friend that you aren't a strong Christian.

A better thing is that you can pray for her in your mind when you're hanging out with her, or in private when you get home. You could even pray by yourself before you go to hang out with her. Pray that God will open her eyes and soften her heart so that he may mold her heart to believe in Him.

Ask for God's guidance so that you may be able to witness to her through actions and that he may open a door so that you will be able to talk about God to her one day.

Even now, there may be an opportunity to speak to her about God, but perhaps now isn't that time to be straight forward about it. Sometimes even atheists ask Christians questions that they wonder about without the intention to make fun or be sarcastic or try and make you an atheist. Always be prepared to answer questions, and if you truly don't answer, don't make something up - but read God's word and get back to them.

I wish you the best of luck with your friend!  
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:33 am
the other day, i was reading a talk from a religious figure of the church about tolerance and truth. it was a topic that hit me to the heart.
as the others have said, do your best to be a friend. 'follow after the things which make for peace'(Romans 14:19) and 'live peacebly with all men'(romans 12:1 cool
just live without trying to offend her own beliefs. only share something if she tries to change your beliefs.
tolerance for behavior is like a two sided coin. Tolerance or respect is on one side of the coin, but truth is always on the other. You cannot possess or use the coin of tolerance without being concious of both sides. -Dallin H. Oaks  

darknova1111

Magnetic Werewolf

9,675 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:38 am
The truth is the world hates Jesus Christ. They want nothing to do with Him. My friends are secular, either believing in their own kind of god, or just unsure. I personally bring up the point that as friends we should be able to discuss anything in a civil manner, whether it relates to spirituality or anything.

I don't know what "going at it" means, but we are to be upholding the truth. People get offended because of pride. Pride was Satan's sin which led him to fall from God's grace. It is dangerous. The thing that happens with my friends is a conversation goes from one point to another, and if might happen to turn to Christianity.

Other times, I might ask a friend how they feel about certain things. For example, what kind of God is God? Anyway, I am always kind. I only raise my voice a little to rebuke when a lie is perpetuated about the Bible, because that's wrong and sinful. At the end, I might pull a friend in private to discuss the truth.

Ask questions. Speak my mind. And if they choose to get offended, fine. Afterward, in other times, I'll just watch over them and try to be a voice of reason, and a good example of Christ. Yeah, I mess up sometimes, but I try again. I think I have been a good friend, anyway because they are still my friends, right? lol Much love and I pray it will work out for you. Take care and God bless!! heart  
Advice ~ because we care

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games