Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
4th ed: new race, the Pixie

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:10 pm
http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4pr/20111007

Our first Tiny playable race! What do you guys think? Me thinks Pixie Dust is a bit too good.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:23 pm
I can see Pixie Dust as a daily racial power. But as is, it pretty much eliminates the need for rope or athletics checks for moderate climbs/crevices. All you need to do is keep waiting 5 minutes per party member.

Also, it's silly. I love how they made it in such a way that screams out "yeah, we can't be bothered to think of better combat mechanics for tiny adventurers, so we're just winging it with the rules we got".  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:49 pm
Rain Yupa
I can see Pixie Dust as a daily racial power. But as is, it pretty much eliminates the need for rope or athletics checks for moderate climbs/crevices. All you need to do is keep waiting 5 minutes per party member.

Also, it's silly. I love how they made it in such a way that screams out "yeah, we can't be bothered to think of better combat mechanics for tiny adventurers, so we're just winging it with the rules we got".
As it should be scream

Why bother making new mechanics when the ones they already got work? Simplicity at it's finest. They knew they'd probably mess it up if they tried coming with rules for Tiny playable races.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:15 am
Keith Valken Lionheart
Rain Yupa

As it should be scream

Why bother making new mechanics when the ones they already got work? Simplicity at it's finest. They knew they'd probably mess it up if they tried coming with rules for Tiny playable races.

I'm on this side of the fence, kool-aid drinker that I am. Saying "y'know, like a small character" is can-of-worms deflection at its best. There's absolutely no need to make PC combat any more complicated.

As for Pixie Dust, I see that as the standard 4e "skill it or it takes longer" and short-resting between each ferry will be a much greater time-cost than casting Knock over making a Thievery check. If you're in a hurry, you can forget about abusing this. It's good for short tactical flight and sending the rogue someplace to tie a rope. The immediate DM block to this is 7-square gaps or cliffs. I'm almost reminded of the player flip-out when we learned eladrin got teleports at level 1.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:35 am
To be honest all I see is Drizzit Dourden. ._.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:05 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
SCROLL DOWN. Ignore the temptation of reading all the Drizzt crap.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:42 pm
Keith Valken Lionheart
Suicidesoldier#1
SCROLL DOWN. Ignore the temptation of reading all the Drizzt crap.

lol xd

Well, it seems pixies would make pretty good warlocks and alright mages.

Maybe some of dem pyschic dudes as well, not sure much else.

They could theoretically play anything of course.

I like being able to fly as a basic move though, it's about time something cool like that happened, and this is great thing to add to a new race which involves being "tiny".  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:45 pm
Pixies should have Vulnerable: disbelief. As a standard action your allies can clap their hands and allow the pixie to spend a healing surge.

With those stats, y'know what would be a natural class choice for Pixies? Vampire.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:21 pm
Arc Vembris
Pixies should have Vulnerable: disbelief. As a standard action your allies can clap their hands and allow the pixie to spend a healing surge.

With those stats, y'know what would be a natural class choice for Pixies? Vampire.

lol xd

Pixie vampires. xp  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces