Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Advice on Disguise

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Frondescence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:26 pm
Okay, I have a bard character who needs to play double agent for a bit...I need to disguise him and disguise him well, as the guy he's going to work for is both higher level and has True Sight on a magic item. My bard can Bluff (+20, and he can cast Glibness), but I'm insecure about his Disguise check (+11). Also, he can Alter Self/Polymorph into a new form that doesn't look like him. If he fails this, he is as good as dead. At the moment, he has 12k saved up. Given that, I have a few questions.

1.) What are some ways to foil True Seeing? So far, the best options seems to be scrolls/potions of Greater Spell Immunity, but I'm worried about what would happen if that gets dispelled (a definite possibility), and I want to plan for it, as he would, as well as I can.

2.) How much disguise bonus does an Alter Self or Polymorph give?
I think Alter Self said you get a +10 when creating a disguise for yourself, but this meant to be a whole different identity or persona with (where possible...more likely with Polymorph) different height, weight, etc. Would that Disguise check only come into play if someone has reason to suspect this persona of being him, or is it just when looking at him?

3.) Any items to help with any of this?

Any other ideas or suggestions would be very welcome. Thank you for your input!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:14 pm
Be a doppelganger.

But, there are a few items which allow you to turn your armor into "casual clothes" or "dress clothes" I think.

You could try a perception field.

That is, decreasing their perception as well as increasing your disguise.  

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Frondescence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:48 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
Be a doppelganger.

But, there are a few items which allow you to turn your armor into "casual clothes" or "dress clothes" I think.

You could try a perception field.

That is, decreasing their perception as well as increasing your disguise.

I like that perception field idea. Any ideas of ways to do that effectively?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:53 am
Disguise checks made without magic cannot be seen through with true sight btw,  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Yurro

Friendly Guildsman

7,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:49 am
[Copy&Pasta from another post I did for similar question + extra*]

Hmm... Lets see what I can think of while "away from books"...

1) Possibly, if a team mate or friendly Thieve's Guild has a higher Disguise modifier you can have them try and disguise ya [Aid other bonus?]

2) As stated already, Masterwork Disguise Kit is a sure fire +2 circumstance bonus.

3) I believe that there was a magic item or two that granted Competence bonuses [I believe Mask of Lies MiC book, gave a +5-ish] but most if not all are 'masks' of one form or another. Mask of Lies for example looks like of like a hockey mask imho with crosses as holes for the eyes and mouth.
-Edit-
Mask of Lies [MiC: 4.5k gp/Comp. Adventurer: 17k gp] gives a +5 to Bluff. Silly me...

4) I honestly don't know the answer, but what happens if you Polymorph into a Changeling, and use the Changeling's Alter Self-like ability [its a physical not illusion] ability to change yourself again?
-Edit-
Arc Vembris
Changeling's shapechanging can still be seen through by True Sight. It's a physical tranformation, but TS still shows the changeling's natural form.

5) Along with Second Impression, Assume Quirk [googled to be sure] takes the familiar sights penalty a person gets when trying to see through your disguise. Sadly I think it has a duration/day [1 hour-ish?]

6*) Dust of Disappearance

7*) Nondetection

8*)
Quote:
"The cloak of Khyber spell (Dragon 337) is a 3rd level sor/wiz spell that lasts 1 day/level and renders any illusion/shapechange/disguise magic on the caster impervious to true seeing as long as the disguise is kept up for six or more hours."

-along with-
Quote:
"A more official (and probably more recent) source for the spell is City of Stormreach page 59. [another spell found in City of Stormreach is Animate Infectious Zombie on page 144.]

The internet claims Cloak of Khyber is also found in Mark of Heroes, a softcover module published by WotC for the RPGA."

[Google-fu'd from posts somewhere else on the internet]

9*) Circlet of Persuasion for a +3 Cha check bonus to your Disguise?

10*) Get a way to have a Medusa's Flesh to Stone sight? [not serious, just an idea I had...]

... That's all I got for now...  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:53 am
Changeling's shapechanging can still be seen through by True Sight. It's a physical tranformation, but TS still shows the changeling's natural form.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Yurro

Friendly Guildsman

7,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:12 am
Arc Vembris

Ah... Well that's nice to know for future reference. Don't know where my head was when I suggested it.

*Insert "More You Know pic"*  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:32 am
I know Wizards can cast Disguise Self. You can make yourself look like any class or race your size. The only exception is that if you are wearing plate armor and are disguised as someone without plate armor, people will notice you making sounds as you walk and will feel plate armor instead of cloth or something.  

Cyrus The Keeper

Frondescence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:07 pm
KalitasBloodchief of Ghet
I know Wizards can cast Disguise Self. You can make yourself look like any class or race your size. The only exception is that if you are wearing plate armor and are disguised as someone without plate armor, people will notice you making sounds as you walk and will feel plate armor instead of cloth or something.

You see, I can't use spells to disguise myself. The True Sight item will see right through it.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:17 pm
Then I guess Changeling.  

Cyrus The Keeper

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas