Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Quick 3.5 question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Seiryna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:51 pm
randomness but is there any rule that states bracers of armor can not be enchanted with armor enchantments like energy resistance? it just says it grants +1-8 depending on what type you get. but it doesn't say they can't be enchanted with things other then just basic +1 to armor so long as it stays in the +1-8 range, and if the person making them has the required spells to enchant them with said other enchantments.
Or can you enchant normal clothes with armor enchantments? Sorry lol I never made a char. that can't ware armor of any type, so trying to figure out how exactly I can give her some armor enchantments with out actually having her ware armor.
Can I get a ruling on this? anyone? XD  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:51 pm
Quote:
Bracers of Armor

These items appear to be wrist or arm guards. They surround the wearer with an invisible but tangible field of force, granting him an armor bonus of +1 to +8, just as though he were wearing armor. Both bracers must be worn for the magic to be effective.

Moderate conjuration; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, mage armor, creator’s caster level must be at least two times that of the bonus placed in the bracers; Price 1,000 gp (+1), 4,000 gp (+2), 9,000 gp (+3), 16,000 gp (+4), 25,000 gp (+5), 36,000 gp (+6), 49,000 gp (+7), 64,000 gp (+ cool ; Weight 1 lb.

Bracers of Armor give you an Armor bonus to AC. It's the same as if you were wearing anything from padded leather armor to full plate mail, without any of the penalties.

Specifically, these Bracers ONLY give an armor bonus. That's why they're Bracers of Armor. For energy resistance, try a Ring of Energy Resistance. If you do decide to wear actual armor, you can get Armor of Energy Resistance too.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Seiryna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:58 pm
Rain Yupa
Quote:
Bracers of Armor

These items appear to be wrist or arm guards. They surround the wearer with an invisible but tangible field of force, granting him an armor bonus of +1 to +8, just as though he were wearing armor. Both bracers must be worn for the magic to be effective.

Moderate conjuration; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, mage armor, creator’s caster level must be at least two times that of the bonus placed in the bracers; Price 1,000 gp (+1), 4,000 gp (+2), 9,000 gp (+3), 16,000 gp (+4), 25,000 gp (+5), 36,000 gp (+6), 49,000 gp (+7), 64,000 gp (+ cool ; Weight 1 lb.

Bracers of Armor give you an Armor bonus to AC. It's the same as if you were wearing anything from padded leather armor to full plate mail, without any of the penalties.

Specifically, these Bracers ONLY give an armor bonus. That's why they're Bracers of Armor. For energy resistance, try a Ring of Energy Resistance. If you do decide to wear actual armor, you can get Armor of Energy Resistance too.

I know but is there a rule that actually states I can't treat them as armor for the purpose of enchanting them. Exp if I get a +2 pair of bracers of armor and make them +1 with energy resistance minor also a +1 bonus for a total of +2 As it would still be a Bracers of Armor +2. As long as the char making the bracers of armor knows the feats/spells required to also make the Energy resistance armor enchantment. Note I am just using energy resistance as an example.
If not then is there some form of armor/clothes or something I can enchant with armor enchantments that a char. that isn't proficient with any types of armor, can wear and not take penalties?
It's like Dustana: they count as both armor and shield, stack with both armor and shield bonuses, but are neither armor nor shield. So can you enchant them?

Quote:
Bracers of Armor

Moderate conjuration; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Arms and Armor, mage armor, Resist Energy creator’s caster level must be at least two times that of the bonus placed in the bracers; Price 1,000 gp (+1), 4,000 gp (+2), 9,000 gp (+3), 16,000 gp (+4), 25,000 gp (+5), 36,000 gp (+6), 49,000 gp (+7), 64,000 gp (+ cool Weight 1 lb.

They now have Resist energy, and are +2 is there a rule that says I can not do this~ cause logically it makes since, at least to me, and if I can pay for it~ and want to give up the extra AC then I want to know if this is possible XD  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:27 pm
You could probably enchant regular cloth armor/clothes to have the effects of energy resistance as if it was armor, but with no actual armor bonus. I'd personally be okay with that.

But it would really be a GM call.

By the rules, bracers of armor are a one-type item. They can only EVER give you more armor bonus. Never enhancement, or dodge, or cold resistance, or anything else. The only types of equipment that could have multiple 'layers' of enhancements on them are weapons, armor, and shields.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Seiryna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:28 pm
Rain Yupa
You could probably enchant regular cloth armor/clothes to have the effects of energy resistance as if it was armor, but with no actual armor bonus. I'd personally be okay with that.

But it would really be a GM call.

By the rules, bracers of armor are a one-type item. They can only EVER give you more armor bonus. Never enhancement, or dodge, or cold resistance, or anything else. The only types of equipment that could have multiple 'layers' of enhancements on them are weapons, armor, and shields.

Nevermind I got my answer.
Magic Item Compendium, Arms and Equipment, Epic Level hand Book, and DMG all stat that Bracers of Armor can be enchanted with Armor Enchantments, and Armor Crystals.
Quote:
by the RAW from Arms & Equipment, the ELH, and the DMG, you can have +10 Bracers of Armor that can have an additional +5 worth of armor enhancements added, at a final cost of 225,000 gp. This does not include armor enhancements of a fixed price such as Energy Resistance, which could be piled on top of that, nor does it include effects from Armor Augment Crystals, which could also be attached to the Bracers.

The WoTC Thread.
I trust them a lot more then Gaia sorry guys ^^'  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:44 pm
I never claimed to be an expect. I prefer 4th edition over 3rd anyways ^-^

I learned something new! Bracers of Armor are Wondrous Items, NOT armor or shields, so I did not believe they could benefit from the armor and shield enhancements. My mistake.

Good investigating!  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:12 pm
...Not for nothin', but the response you got from the WOTC boards is pretty much a more academic version of what Rain said.

But yeah, if you enchant Bracers of Armor, you can only enhance that bonus.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games