Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Videogames based on Tabletop RPG.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Had you played a "based on a RPG" game?
  Yeah, it promise excitement, and delivers disapointment.
  I tried once out of curiosity. And felt like "meh" about it.
  No, I haven't. I'm not interested on videogames.
View Results

Nishido_Satsunoyama

Dangerous Genius

10,150 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:08 pm
I don't know most people, but I'm still playing the two Vampire The Masquerade games.
And despite I know all about how a RPG game looses it's freedom once you try to encapsulate it on a videogame environment;
meaning: you and me know it's not the RPG anymore once you "adapt" it to be a videogame;
I'm still a fool for those games.

The latest of my guilty pleasures is Daggerdale.
Hack/slash fun with barrel busting and all; but no chance to play as a Tiefling Swordmage.
Like I said: it says "Dungeons & Draggons" on the tittle, but it just doesn't feel all the way like it razz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:09 pm
Every one I tried was good... except perhaps NWN and NWN 2...  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:36 pm
I liked Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Also, Hunter: The Reckoning was a damn fine game, but it's worth noting that both of these are hackfests and not true RPGs, that might be the important point.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:08 pm
If you wanna play a D&D based game that's close to the real deal, then play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Both use AD&D 2E rules, and both have almost EVERYTHING in that ruleset: magic, items, etc. It's set in the Forgotten Realms. Also, there's Icewind Dale 1 and 2, which are also set in Forgotten Realms, are more combat oriented and use the 3rd edition ruleset.

And this game I'm about to mention you REALLY have to play. Try getting it, it's just amazing. Dubbed one of the best PC RPGs ever made, Planescape: Torment puts you in the shoes of an immortal man on a quest to recover his past and lose his immortality. It's set in the Planescape setting and uses the 2e ruleset. Amazing game, absolutely amazing writing. Chris Avellone is a god of writing.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:03 am
I played Planescape, but I got unpassably stuck in an alley when I had accidentally sold a plot key, and I haven't restarted it since.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 am
@Mister Minamoto: Neverwinter Nights? I haven't tried those! Thanks for remind me of them.

@Mister Vembris: I didn't liked Baldur's Gate. Way too many CDs for a game that looked like a badly emulated GBA rom. It hurt my eyes.

@Mister Valken: Well, you already know how I feel about Baldur's Gate, at least the first one. But I may try Icewind Dale. And Planescape... Actually I had skipped that game about... I don't know... Like 5 times I believe; just 'cause there isn't a sexy girl on the cover. Hey; that policy is what made me got "Dreamfall", and I do not regret anything biggrin  

Nishido_Satsunoyama

Dangerous Genius

10,150 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:27 pm
There's a sexy girl about an hour in. With a saucy Scottish accent  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:38 pm
It should be noted that Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 are old games... visually they were pretty good for their time. It should also be noted that they have an AMAZING story and the voice acting is good too.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:04 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Speaking of sexy girls...
Not gonna lie, this box art got me hooked on EQ.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:58 pm
Nishido_Satsunoyama
@Mister Minamoto: Neverwinter Nights? I haven't tried those! Thanks for remind me of them.

@Mister Vembris: I didn't liked Baldur's Gate. Way too many CDs for a game that looked like a badly emulated GBA rom. It hurt my eyes.

@Mister Valken: Well, you already know how I feel about Baldur's Gate, at least the first one. But I may try Icewind Dale. And Planescape... Actually I had skipped that game about... I don't know... Like 5 times I believe; just 'cause there isn't a sexy girl on the cover. Hey; that policy is what made me got "Dreamfall", and I do not regret anything biggrin
Try Baldur's Gate 2, it looks much better. Also, there are mods that make BG1 look like BG2.

ALSO":

Anna the Tiefling, from Planescape.
Fall-From-Grace, also Planescape.

Here comes the proverbial 'don't judge a book by it's cover' saying biggrin  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:01 pm
And also, because Fall-From-Grace's theme is just gorgeous. Seriously, Planescape Torment is a great game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12lgsK63S48  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:18 am
@Mister Vembris: Saucy Schottish accent? Just the reason I haven't uninstalled Neverend, despite that game is... No, really, who makes a level 2 character have random encounters with level 15 monsters? Monsters! In plural! But that voice! Darn it! Darn my weakness! (Hehehe).

@Mister Minamoto: I know... It's just that if the game doesn't has a good resolution of picture, it actually, physically, hurts my eyes. New glasses seems in order.

@Mister Baelzara: Isn't that the game that makes you kill giant rats for days? And I don't know, dude. Ever since Ebony, I tent to believe the boobs are a lie. As if the cake wasn't hurting enough...

@Mister Valken: Now, those are good news! And I know I shouldn't. It's just, and this is a fact, most games actually suck; so there isn't really a good reason to take the risk of buying one if at least there isn't some good eye candy. Of course, as I already said, most usually the boobs are a lie. And cool song, bro.  

Nishido_Satsunoyama

Dangerous Genius

10,150 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items