Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
new person looking for help at starting a chariter

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kitsune kittingata

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:22 am
i had always wanted to start playing d&d but i never had any one to play and i dont have any of the books so so could some one please help me create a chariter it would be grately apreceated  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:44 am
I recommend two options:

1. Get the books
2. Get a subscription to D&D Insider over at wizards.com

Secret third option: Your best bet is to find some friends who already have these things and after using their stuff you can decide if it's worth the investment for you. They can help you learn the game far better than remote internet strangers can.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

kitsune kittingata

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:06 pm
well i have no money at the moment and no friends that play d&d so looks like option 1 and 3 are out dose it cost any thing to subscribe ?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:40 pm
Yes it costs money.

Look for a group in your town.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

kitsune kittingata

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:13 pm
ok looks like thats my only option avalible  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:53 pm
If you wanted to go the illegal route, you could torrent the books.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:52 pm
Dion Necurat
but that would be wrong.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:57 pm
Arc Vembris
Dion Necurat
but that would be wrong.

whats torrent the books ???  

kitsune kittingata

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:29 pm
kitsune kittingata
Arc Vembris
Dion Necurat
but that would be wrong.

...*sigh*....if you don't know, it is to difficult to describe...and really not something that should be done. If it weren't for Wizards of the Coast, D&D would have died long ago. It's not a very lucrative industry...hence making 4.0 super user friendly to make it more accessible. The best way one can show interest in a product is to actually buy it.....

what i would suggest about the money sittuation is put it on b-day/x-mas/Hanukkah list.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:41 am
Vorastrix
kitsune kittingata
Arc Vembris
Dion Necurat
but that would be wrong.

...*sigh*....if you don't know, it is to difficult to describe...and really not something that should be done. If it weren't for Wizards of the Coast, D&D would have died long ago. It's not a very lucrative industry...hence making 4.0 super user friendly to make it more accessible. The best way one can show interest in a product is to actually buy it.....

what i would suggest about the money sittuation is put it on b-day/x-mas/Hanukkah list.

This is what I've done, I've barely spent actual money on D&D books in years  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Laertes Ursus

Vicious Knight

13,050 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:51 am
Total books owned: 40-some-odd
Total books bought: 3

Yeah, this strategy works. Just make sure you keep an updated list of what you have and your would-be gift-givers are aware of it.

Tip: Spelling helps too. Seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:00 am
I never buy a book without looking at it first. It also helps that I have two sites on which I play game systems on.

To that measure though I only chip in on books the only one I have personally bought and owned in d20 modern.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Emerald the Crow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:51 pm
It also depends on which version of D&D you want to play. Some people, like those I game with, play Pathfinder and call it "D&D." We feel it's a closer spiritual successor to the name than 4.x. Other people feel differently. Some are still playing 3.5, 3.0, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition, or even the old Red Box. It really depends on what you're looking for, what your local groups are, and what you're interested in doing.

If you're interested in playing something that isn't currently being released and still is like D&D, you can view the 3.5 SRD or the Pathfinder SRD, where you'll find most (the 3.5 one) or all (the Pathfinder one) character creation rules and system mechanics. That's one of the nice things about the d20 system games - the mechanics are available for free, rather than through a compulsory subscription service. If you like Pathfinder enough, you can even get the Core Book in .pdf format for only $10, and it'll be very pretty.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games