Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Live Gameplay over the Internet: A Question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:56 pm
I'm going to be running an over-the-summer D&D game, and none of us can meet in person (despite living relatively close by). So I've decided to take it to Skype, at least for now. My question is about how one would run encounters: I can't exactly project a map through my webcam (as it is built into my laptop), so how would I go about fixing this problem?  
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:26 pm
Scan your map into your laptop, and put the screensharing on that map so everyone knows what's where. You may need to simply take a picture of it, if you don't have access to a scanner.  

Michael Bladebreaker

Ruthless Hunter

6,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:43 pm
Arc Vembris likes to do his maps in his games with a grid system. Think battleship.

I would definitely have a map made/drawn/scanned prior to it for every part of the adventure. Upload them to a file/photo sharing site prior to the game's start.

Whenever a character/creature takes a turn, give an updated list of which creatures occupy which coordinates.

It might not be the best way or the most technologically modern way, but gosh darn it, it'll get the job done.  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:32 am
Programs like OpenRPG can let all players log into the same livemap/chat window with an included dieroller program. I don't remember if it also has VoIP.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:49 am
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. This really helps me out.

Right now, my best option is utilizing the grid system, since (and I probably should have mentioned this in the OP) I've been having issues connecting my game to the network I have set-up on Hamachi.  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:48 am
If you already have your players together, get them all to download a program called Maptool. Do all the game over Skype, use Maptool for the grid and dice.

Laertes Ursus

Vicious Knight

13,050 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100