Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Advice ~ because we care
Need advice on Church and Parents

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

krazed_kon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:00 pm
When my mom and dad separated, I stayed with my mom for a while, I had difficulty staying in one church because for one, she was an atheist, she couldn't comprehend the fact that her daughter wanted to worship 'some God', (praying for her though) so my spiritual growth was rather...stagnant and slow. I moved in with my dad a few years later, and thank God he's a Christian, so I've been able to go to a christian church without my faith being constantly assaulted.
Now, here's the thing: I've been going to my dad's church, and I'm also going to a church of a good friend of mine, and I have to say I like it there more than my dad's church, I'm with people my age for starters, and I feel like I've found my spiritual home there. Is it wrong to go to two different churches? How can I tell my dad that I want to go there, in the other church, without offending him?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:03 pm
Most people, I think, understand the importance of finding a church that's "right for you". In the end, all that really matters is your personal relationship with God; so, most of the rest is just filler. Go where you feel you are able to have the closest relationship with God, and I suspect your father will understand.  

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:38 pm
I think if you just explain to your dad that you feel more fulfilled in that church than another then he should understand. Not everyone in a family may feel called to go to the same church.

Pray to God asking him to reveal to you his Will on this situation. If you feel led to go to this other church, then go there. Explain to your dad that it isn't that you're giving up on God. You're just trying to follow his will for your life. Also tell your dad that it's not because you think his church is bad or wrong in some way. I'm sure if you explain it nicely to him and show him you feel more filled with God in this other church than he should understand.  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:25 am
krazed_kon
When my mom and dad separated, I stayed with my mom for a while, I had difficulty staying in one church because for one, she was an atheist, she couldn't comprehend the fact that her daughter wanted to worship 'some God', (praying for her though) so my spiritual growth was rather...stagnant and slow. I moved in with my dad a few years later, and thank God he's a Christian, so I've been able to go to a christian church without my faith being constantly assaulted.
Now, here's the thing: I've been going to my dad's church, and I'm also going to a church of a good friend of mine, and I have to say I like it there more than my dad's church, I'm with people my age for starters, and I feel like I've found my spiritual home there. Is it wrong to go to two different churches? How can I tell my dad that I want to go there, in the other church, without offending him?

There's no need to feel ashamed that your growth is going a bit slowly since you had reason. I was also in a church that I didn't learn a lot in for 20 years, ad hadn't grown hardly at all. It happens. I'm glad you're able to go back to church. I'm not sure what kind of guy your father is so I'm not sure how he'll react. If he's an understanding, good Christian, he'll probably understand if you delicately put it to him. Saying something such as, "I've been praying about something lately." and if your father asks what, or even if there's a silence, continue by saying something such as, "I've also been going to church with my friend. I like both churches, yours and hers. I also feel that my friends church is helping me more since I can chat about religion/Christianity/or any other related word you want to put here with those my age. Sometimes it's easier to socialize with those my age. I appreciate going to your church, and perhaps I can go with you from time to time still. I hope you understand." (this way you aren't saying anything negative about the church he attends, and less likely to cause an argument) I don't know how your father acts to this kind of news, but that's the best thing I could come up to say. I'm having problems with my parents church-wise, even though I am married and out of the house. I sure hope your father is more accepting and forgiving than mine.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
Advice ~ because we care

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items