treating large bowel diarrhea

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:44 pm
I know we have a few techs in the guild, for those who aren't, a "large" bowel dhiarrhea just means the problem is in the colon not the small intestines, and the symptoms are small amounts of soft stools. A small bowel diarrhea on the other hand would mean lots of poop.

Okay, so here's the Subjective: Cowboy, 6, Aussie, not sure how long it's been going on, but a couple weeks, not sure how often he's passing stools, but likely 3 times a day. He spends lots of time in the back yard so I assume he has a dump after supper and after breakfast, I've seen him sometimes. He always poops on walks, usually right away, probably the exercise that stimulates his bowel. It's a small amount of poop, that is just soft. I didn't think much of it at first, but it's been ongoing despite the diet being steady.

I'm looking for suggestions that don't involve a vet. He has no other symptoms and has been for his annual recently. I picked up a can of fruitable pumpkin digestive suppliment. I mixed it with some yoghurt for the probiotics and he had that for dinner last night. Haven't walked him lately so haven't had a chance to see if that helps, but I imagine it might take a few days to take effect. I wonder if yoghurt is enough or if I should buy a probiotic suppliment. At my store we sell Holistic Select probiotic suppliment and pets4life essentials both powder form.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:09 am
update: Took Cowboy for a long (50min) walk in the woods today. Still small very soft stool. Despite half a week of mixing the fiber suppliment in his food and feeding him probiotic yoghurt.

Still looking for suggestions. Maybe cause we ran out of the fruitable can food yesterday, maybe I should get a powdered probiotic suppliment in case the lactose in the yoghurt is adding to the dhiarhea, which I sort of doubt since it's still small amounts so he is digesting his food.

I'd also like to say that he is very over weight right now. So that could be playing a big role. I think as soon as his Acana grasslands run out I'm gona get the light and fit. I left a note for my family that he gets 3/4 cup (morning and another in the evening) and 4 treats max a day. I even put four treats in a bag to help them keep track so that not everyone is giving him cookies.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Null Chamber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:49 am
What is he eating? Generally I would say a food switch is in order. Kirby has a lead belly but there are just certain foods his stool will go slightly loose on.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:30 pm
Null Chamber
What is he eating? Generally I would say a food switch is in order. Kirby has a lead belly but there are just certain foods his stool will go slightly loose on.

Right now I got him back on Acana (same company as orijen) grasslands (grainless). He's been on it before, and did really well on it. For over a year he's been on what I'm given for free. Always grainless. Just got him back on Acana last month. Like I say I am going to change to light and fit because with his exercise restrictions his weight really snuck up on me. And I think I'll stick to supplimenting with "fruitables" can for the fiber.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Null Chamber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:45 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Null Chamber

Right now I got him back on Acana (same company as orijen) grasslands (grainless). He's been on it before, and did really well on it. For over a year he's been on what I'm given for free. Always grainless. Just got him back on Acana last month. Like I say I am going to change to light and fit because with his exercise restrictions his weight really snuck up on me. And I think I'll stick to supplimenting with "fruitables" can for the fiber.
Are you sure the formula hasn't changed in it or something. Kirby used to do good on one of Solid golds foods. Last couple of times I have used that same food in his rotation however his poop went softer than it should be. Thus, it has been dropped. You might find something as simple as switching him to the Light formula fixes the problem since it will have a different blend of stuff. Also, if I remember correctly Cowboy has been having some problems with limping? Getting the extra weight off will probably help. It can be hard when they aren't excising though and they are expert beggars, especially in a house full of softies. XD

Edit- Lol I just realized I'm on my mule, this is Krissim by the way. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:43 pm
Null Chamber
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Null Chamber

Are you sure the formula hasn't changed in it or something. Kirby used to do good on one of Solid golds foods. Last couple of times I have used that same food in his rotation however his poop went softer than it should be. Thus, it has been dropped. You might find something as simple as switching him to the Light formula fixes the problem since it will have a different blend of stuff. Also, if I remember correctly Cowboy has been having some problems with limping? Getting the extra weight off will probably help. It can be hard when they aren't excising though and they are expert beggars, especially in a house full of softies. XD

Edit- Lol I just realized I'm on my mule, this is Krissim by the way. XD

He's not limping at all. He isn't allowed to run because ever since I overworked him in December he gets sore after running or jumping. I definitely won't let him do so with all this extra weight. I'm getting out and walking him more and longer but I think it's really gona be the warm weather and therefor the swimming that slims him down. It's possible they changed a lil, but I need to stick with this company cause of the staff feeding program. I wanted to be with them anyways and they have a good variety so I'm sure I can get one of the foods to work for him.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces