Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Poodles (looking for breed info/suggestions)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dante_Sonata

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:53 pm
My mother saw a "free Miniature poodle" ad in the paper today and decided that she OMGMustHaveIt!
Before the topic is brought up, we're looking for a second dog anyway. (I want a farm dog to work the cattle with; she claims I don't need one because we can use my uncle's. It's a circular argument.) So we have the money/time/other resources for a dog.

Personally, I hate poodles. I'm sure there are some out there that are perfectly fine, and some people like them, but I just flat out dislike the breed.
Mom had poodles when she was young, and claims that she likes them because they're nice and don't shed and smart. (And, yes, I've explained that there's no such thing as a dog that doesn't shed.) My experience with poodles is that they're shrill barkers, have a stupid looking sheep-coat, and n**. Oh, and the Miniature ones are little ankle-biters.
(No offense to any poodle lovers; this is just my experience with them. And like I said, I'm sure there are ones out there that are perfectly well behaved, but I've yet to meet one.)

So, anyway, I want whatever info on the breed that you can offer. Hopefully I can find some facts to talk her out of this. (Or, better yet, hopefully someone else gets the dog before she does.) And if you have any breeds you'd like to suggest, feel free. smile (Though I do already have a few ideal breeds in mind.)

Our current dog is a Basenji mix, high-energy and lap-dog sized.
I, personally, would prefer a dog that is around the size of a Labrador or bigger. I'm not fond of anything much smaller -- it's liable to get squished. We live on a farm, the dog(s) get acres and acres to run on, though it'd be an indoor/outdoor dog (as in, it's inside at night and during winter when no one is home, outside when I'm out doing chores and on the zipline when no one's home in the summer.) No small children besides the occasional visiting cousin, but we have a house cat and several feral cats, another dog, and horses and cattle that it'll have to get along with. Mom wants a "non-shedding dog" -- which I've given up on explaining and just translated that to a "light shedding" dog. I have no problems with brushing out a dog once a week or so, but don't like long-haired dogs (we get too much brush and bramble around here to be picking out of their fur constantly.)
Oh, and I'm pretty flexible on most of these 'policies' and I know that there isn't really a breed standard that all dogs of one breed conform to. Just looking at guidelines.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:22 pm
I don't know much about the mini's. But I have worked a bit around standards (friend is a breeder).

They actually don't shed they don't have fur, they have hair kind of like a humans that is always growning, so they need grooming to keep their hair tamed. And yes their barks is up in pitch, but from being in the middle of a pack of standards they are insanely smart, and if raised right they are smart and happy dogs. (when they are a vicious mob.... one on one they are awesome... 4+ in a group out side and OMG)

Minatures will not help at all on a farm... maybe if you can teach it to go after mice/rats.... and from my experience with the bigger ones they are super high energy almost to the point of ADD, and hyperactive, until they get older. And the ones that I have met that are nippy are just bubbling over with energy.

As for there coat if you can find a good poodle groomer near you, can give them a more... normalish looking cut, so they don't look like puff balls and what not.

I can see if my breeder friend knows much about minis if you wish.  

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:28 pm
Mistress of Rain

They actually don't shed they don't have fur, they have hair kind of like a humans that is always growning, so they need grooming to keep their hair tamed.

I just want to add...there is no physiological difference between hair/fur. Scientifically, it's EXACTLY the same stuff. I mean, I guess some people are like "well, fur is soft while hair is stringy" or whatever in regular conversation (but human colloquy is so odd anyway) but in all other aspects, hair and fur is the same exact thing.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:56 pm
Moth Feathers
Mistress of Rain

They actually don't shed they don't have fur, they have hair kind of like a humans that is always growning, so they need grooming to keep their hair tamed.

I just want to add...there is no physiological difference between hair/fur. Scientifically, it's EXACTLY the same stuff. I mean, I guess some people are like "well, fur is soft while hair is stringy" or whatever in regular conversation (but human colloquy is so odd anyway) but in all other aspects, hair and fur is the same exact thing.

it was how it was explained to me...and how it grew a little differently than other dog fur. But perhaps I was taught wrong.  

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150

Dante_Sonata

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:59 pm
Mistress of Rain
I don't know much about the mini's. But I have worked a bit around standards (friend is a breeder).

They actually don't shed they don't have fur, they have hair kind of like a humans that is always growning, so they need grooming to keep their hair tamed. And yes their barks is up in pitch, but from being in the middle of a pack of standards they are insanely smart, and if raised right they are smart and happy dogs. (when they are a vicious mob.... one on one they are awesome... 4+ in a group out side and OMG)

Minatures will not help at all on a farm... maybe if you can teach it to go after mice/rats.... and from my experience with the bigger ones they are super high energy almost to the point of ADD, and hyperactive, until they get older. And the ones that I have met that are nippy are just bubbling over with energy.

As for there coat if you can find a good poodle groomer near you, can give them a more... normalish looking cut, so they don't look like puff balls and what not.

I can see if my breeder friend knows much about minis if you wish.

I'm not big on groomers; it'd just get a trim as needed at home, with the shears and scissors. (I don't show dogs, it doesn't have to look pretty, just functional.)
But yes, I'd appreciate any info your friend can offer. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:00 pm
Mistress of Rain
Moth Feathers
Mistress of Rain

it was how it was explained to me...and how it grew a little differently than other dog fur. But perhaps I was taught wrong.

I'm sure poodles have a different coat than other dogs, but I'm just saying that it's not because they have 'hair' while other animals have 'fur', because they're the same exact thing.  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:49 am
im a big poodle fan

very easy to train becasue they want to entertain you and please you. good breed for first time dog owners too. i dont think they have a huge prey drive, at least from my expirience and what ive heard from other poodle owners. ive only lived with toys but they made great off the leash dogs and never wanted to wander away from me

sadly most people dont trian the smaller poodle breeds, but people do that with any small dog xp a well trained poodle will make a great family pet.

grooming is pretty easy, i just shave my sister's poodle down because i hate brushing out matts. longer coats will need more brushing and will be harder to care for. just know that not all poodle haircuts are the froofy ones. puppy cuts are really easy to take care of and seem to be a good favorite of smaller poodle breeds

and poodles shed about as much as people do, not much at all but you will find little hairs every once in a while. its not really enough to notice though

@ mistress of rain

im sorry but the hair is different than fur thing really gets on my nerves. they are the exact same thing. just had to add my 2 cents  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:27 am
Moth Feathers
Mistress of Rain

Beat me to it.

Tell her if she gets the poodle it's her responsibility and you don't want anything to do with it. That's if you're really dead set against it.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Dante_Sonata

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:53 am
Shanna66
im a big poodle fan

very easy to train becasue they want to entertain you and please you. good breed for first time dog owners too. i dont think they have a huge prey drive, at least from my expirience and what ive heard from other poodle owners. ive only lived with toys but they made great off the leash dogs and never wanted to wander away from me

sadly most people dont trian the smaller poodle breeds, but people do that with any small dog xp a well trained poodle will make a great family pet.

grooming is pretty easy, i just shave my sister's poodle down because i hate brushing out matts. longer coats will need more brushing and will be harder to care for. just know that not all poodle haircuts are the froofy ones. puppy cuts are really easy to take care of and seem to be a good favorite of smaller poodle breeds

and poodles shed about as much as people do, not much at all but you will find little hairs every once in a while. its not really enough to notice though

@ mistress of rain

im sorry but the hair is different than fur thing really gets on my nerves. they are the exact same thing. just had to add my 2 cents

razz Not making it easy for me to make a case against them, are you? Haha, oh well, it's good to know anyway.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:01 am
Vanilla eXee
Moth Feathers
Mistress of Rain

Beat me to it.

Tell her if she gets the poodle it's her responsibility and you don't want anything to do with it. That's if you're really dead set against it.

I've tried that one. I get a rant about how supposedly I don't have anything to do with taking care of our current dog, despite the fact that I'm the one who trains her, exercises her, gives her food at proper feeding times, and takes her to the vet. But my mom insists on making sure her food bowl is full at all times because she 'looks hungry', even though she's already had her meal. rolleyes Moco has my mom wrapped around her little paws, and mom won't back up any of my training or feeding regimens, so she thinks that I don't train her and don't feed her. It's a vicious cycle with us. So I just double up exercise time and take away the excess food every chance I get, and make sure that Moco at least listens to me, even though she won't listen to mom.  

Dante_Sonata

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:06 am
Dante_Sonata
Shanna66
im a big poodle fan

@ mistress of rain

razz Not making it easy for me to make a case against them, are you? Haha, oh well, it's good to know anyway.

lol i cant help it, i love good hunting and retrieving breeds  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff