Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:01 am
It's been roughly 6 weeks since we moved and switched Sugar to Blue Buffalo. She is on the indoor chicken and rice formula. It's not grainless but it doesn't have corn and the grains are like whole wheat and brown rice. The first few ingredients are meat.

So far, she has put a little bit of weight on. This is a good thing, she was too thin before, if you ran your hand down her back you could feel her spine prominently. I suspect this is more because she can actually eat now without being bothered by other cats more than the food, but it certainly helps. Her coat is baby soft and shiny. Not greasy or gross. Her poop has firmed up some and she's having no troubles going. She also seems to like the taste, because I was never able to use food as a training aid before but she'll now eat her food as treats from my hand.

It was more expensive than the old food but to me it's affordable since she's a small cat and she doesn't eat a lot. She has 1/2c a day. We bought a 15lb bag for $30 (that included shipping because we ordered it online before the move and had it sent to our apartment that way it would be there for her when we got here.) and from March 1st until now we haven't even gotten halfway through. We bought an airtight bin to store it in so it doesn't lose too many nutrients before she finishes it. So far I'm really liking it, it's a much better alternative than friskies, and if you only have one cat it's worth the price.

We also switched litters. My mom used whatever cheap, clay based litter she could find (she only listened to me about at least getting unscented, our male cats have had uti problems in the past.) When we first moved here I got a bag of feline pine and I really liked it. 1 $3 bag lasted for two litter changes and it stays really fresh and nice the entire time. It also made the bathroom smell like pine, which was nice. When we went back they didn't have any more, so right now we're using yesterday's news. It was the same price for a bigger bag, but I don't really like it. Smells kinda funky and it doesn't seem to break down as well as the pine. Also the bag ripped. I might look into other litters but I don't want to switch it up too much on her.

Those are my observations anyway, what do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:46 am
I would suggest at minimum adding some water to her food when you feed her. Cats need to get most of their water intake from their food or they are always dehydrated, no matter how much water they drink. They have a really poor thirst drive. If they don't get most of their water from their food, they will always be dehydrated, and the risk of getting UTIs, bladder stones and kidney stones, along with any other problem constant dehydration causes goes up.

I have my cat, Charcoal, using Feline Pine clumping. I love it. biggrin It smells good, and remains smelling good. It also makes my room smelling like pine. I have only found it in 10.1 pound boxes, and it costs around $15, but it lasts a long time. I bought the box about a month or so ago, and haven't needed a new box yet. It's good that you have gotten her off of clay litter, as, I have found through research that clay litter is horrible and can kill the cats.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:53 am
I don't particularly care for Blue Buffalo, especially the dry (ew at dry food for cats), but it's nevertheless it's an improvement over your other food and that's great- you're definitely reaping the benefits now of a better diet (better coat, better stool, healthier weight, etc)! Maybe if you ever get some more money you could switch to a completely grainless food.
And like the other poster said, definitely add some water to it, and if you don't already it wouldn't be a bad idea to give some raw chicken wings or similar meaty bones a couple times a week. Great for their teeth!

Just curious- wouldn't the strong pine scent bother cats? I don't know for sure, I'm just theorizing. But since cats have such a sensitive, acute sense of smell, I'd imagine that a litter that smells so good for humans must be simply overpowering/intoxicating (not in a good way) for cats. Especially since cats are so much closer to the ground (and therefore get a stronger scent) than us who stand 5+ ft tall.
But just theorizing, I don't know really.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:03 am
Moth Feathers
I don't particularly care for Blue Buffalo, especially the dry (ew at dry food for cats), but it's nevertheless it's an improvement over your other food and that's great- you're definitely reaping the benefits now of a better diet (better coat, better stool, healthier weight, etc)! Maybe if you ever get some more money you could switch to a completely grainless food.
And like the other poster said, definitely add some water to it, and if you don't already it wouldn't be a bad idea to give some raw chicken wings or similar meaty bones a couple times a week. Great for their teeth!

Just curious- wouldn't the strong pine scent bother cats? I don't know for sure, I'm just theorizing. But since cats have such a sensitive, acute sense of smell, I'd imagine that a litter that smells so good for humans must be simply overpowering/intoxicating (not in a good way) for cats. Especially since cats are so much closer to the ground (and therefore get a stronger scent) than us who stand 5+ ft tall.

I too would suggest go completely grainless. The best food I have found for cats is Wellness brand (If you must get dry, their dry food is even grainless, still add water to it though). biggrin Charcoal's getting Wellness canned food, and her fur is extremely soft and shiny. She's also extremely energetic, too.

For the pine smell, Charcoal isn't bothered by it at all. She took right to it, and has no problems with it. She started off on clay, then I did research and learned that clay is horrible, and all our cats (mine and my parents' three) were switched to Arm and Hammer Essentials, which is a corn-based clumping litter, and is decent. It doesn't stay fresh as long as the feline pine litter does, though, it is close to the same weight package, and it has less litter in it than the feline pine did. I changed Charcoal to the Feline Pine clumping litter about month or so ago, and she loves it and I love it. biggrin  

CrissAngelLover12345

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:58 am
Moth Feathers

Right now my boyfriend is paying for all pet supplies. I'm just so thrilled that he was willing to spend extra getting her a decent food that I'm not even going to press the issue about what brand it is. When I was suggesting brands I named off Wellness and Blue Buffalo, but he liked the sound of BB. So until I'm working, I'm happy with it. She was getting kibble for breakfast and raw for dinner for a bit, but she's not really into it. She'll lick it like no tomorrow, but won't take the plunge and chomp down. Cooked (rare) organ meats went over decently if I cut it up for her. She actually has excellent teeth though. I was curious a few days ago so I looked into her mouth, her teeth are clean and bright white (I wish I had teeth like hers =( ) and she's got healthy gums.

As for water, we'll be supplementing her with wet food shortly, but she does drink a few ounces per day. Mostly out of my glass, but if that's what she likes then it trumps any annoyance I would have. Considering the amount recommended for humans, I'd say a few ounces is pretty good for my 4lb cat. When we get a dog, we'll most likely be feeding it raw since my boyfriend was enthusiastic about the idea when I brought it up.

About the pine scent: I thought about that too, but since the instinct would be to do her best to hide her scent, it's probably more helpful than harmful. She's the type of cat where if it bothered her, she would go somewhere besides the litter box, which she hasn't done once since we've moved. She often wouldn't use the box at the old house. We had 2 boxes but that's really not enough for 4 cats and she didn't like to share.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:35 pm
Vanilla eXee
Moth Feathers

Right now my boyfriend is paying for all pet supplies. I'm just so thrilled that he was willing to spend extra getting her a decent food that I'm not even going to press the issue about what brand it is. When I was suggesting brands I named off Wellness and Blue Buffalo, but he liked the sound of BB. So until I'm working, I'm happy with it. She was getting kibble for breakfast and raw for dinner for a bit, but she's not really into it. She'll lick it like no tomorrow, but won't take the plunge and chomp down. Cooked (rare) organ meats went over decently if I cut it up for her. She actually has excellent teeth though. I was curious a few days ago so I looked into her mouth, her teeth are clean and bright white (I wish I had teeth like hers =( ) and she's got healthy gums.

As for water, we'll be supplementing her with wet food shortly, but she does drink a few ounces per day. Mostly out of my glass, but if that's what she likes then it trumps any annoyance I would have. Considering the amount recommended for humans, I'd say a few ounces is pretty good for my 4lb cat. When we get a dog, we'll most likely be feeding it raw since my boyfriend was enthusiastic about the idea when I brought it up.

About the pine scent: I thought about that too, but since the instinct would be to do her best to hide her scent, it's probably more helpful than harmful. She's the type of cat where if it bothered her, she would go somewhere besides the litter box, which she hasn't done once since we've moved. She often wouldn't use the box at the old house. We had 2 boxes but that's really not enough for 4 cats and she didn't like to share.

It's definitely a lot better than friskies. And she's getting the benefits of it. biggrin If you keep up with the kibble for breakfast and raw for dinner, she might eventually get to like it. ^_^ With cats, it can take a while to get them to take to something new. biggrin  

CrissAngelLover12345

LuvByrd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:15 pm
Hmm. Didn't know clay litter was bad. I don't have cats, and don't plan to get any, but working in a petstore I want to know these things. Please inform me : )  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:21 pm
Yay good for you and sugar. If you're not worried about her being over weight, indoor might not be the best choice. Indoor formulas tend to have more fiber and therefor more carbs. Just be careful cause SOME of buffalo's foods use that splitting trick. They say meat is the first ingredient and that's great, but if you have 4 different carbs and you add em all up, together the carbs still outweigh the meat. My store only carried the grainless varieties so I don't know too much about their regular foods but I can still offer suggestions if you tell me what's available to you. But if Sugar is doing great than no worries.

As for litter, I like to use the feline fresh I think it's called. Definitely unscented (natural odor is fine I think) And I do clumping cause I scoop every day. Yesterday's news doesn't clump sadly.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:59 pm
I also didn't know that clay litter was bad I will keep that in mind now as I look for litter. ^_^

Glad Sugar is doing good on BB. It was one of the foods I was looking at getting my *to be* cat on.

Wellness CORE is a grainfree which I might be getting (dry), but get a the wilderness BB can food as well, and do dry in the morning (like before going to class) and then do wet at night (either before or after work).

But yay for healthy foods.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:41 pm
On clay litter: It's not necessarily bad as long as you get unscented, but it's dusty and it's a non renewable resource. Also if ingested it's not the best thing in the world. Especially clumping which if they eat (or lick too much off their paws) it could kill them. I really like the feline pine, we both hate the yesterday;s news but we still have 2 box changes worth.

Gabrielle_Animalluver
Yay good for you and sugar. If you're not worried about her being over weight, indoor might not be the best choice. Indoor formulas tend to have more fiber and therefor more carbs. Just be careful cause SOME of buffalo's foods use that splitting trick. They say meat is the first ingredient and that's great, but if you have 4 different carbs and you add em all up, together the carbs still outweigh the meat. My store only carried the grainless so I don't know too much about their regular foods but I can still offer suggestions if you tell me what's available to you. But if Sugar is doing great than no worries.

As for litter, I like to use the feline fresh I think it's called. Definitely unscented (natural odor is fine I think) And I do clumping cause I scoop every day. Yesterday's news doesn't clump sadly.

I'm much more worried about her losing weight than gaining. If she gained (too much) weight I could easily feed less since there's no one here that would sneak her extra food and she doesn't try to eat "people food". I will check on the carbs of the food we have. Pretty much anything is available to us since when we checked BB at a local pet store the 7lb bag was actually the same price as getting the 15lb bag shipped to our house. A few dollars less maybe but not worth it. The nearest PetSmart is an hour away, so unless we happened to be in that area when we run out of food (unlikely) that wouldn't be cost effective either.

@mistress: Yes, healthy foods are fun!

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items