Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
It's Friday! I Can Go Pick Them Up! (Be prepared to read.)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MacKoons the Raccoon

Timid Cat

10,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Timid 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:43 pm
On tuesday we took our three cats, Braveheart, Smokey, and Panda(Pandora), to the vet. Mom is having the two older cats, Brave ans Smokey, declawed. I disapprove, of course, of this and she is being even meaner to Panda. Panda is the newest edition to the house. She is a kitten, about 6 months now, I'll post her back story, and Bravehearts, later in a dif. thread. Panda is getting: 1)Declawed. 2)Her very first shots ever. 3) AND she is getting spayed. Mean, right?!

Anyways!

They had to stay until friday. Today. for the past 2 nights i have found it hard to sleep. We only have our dog with us right now. I can't wait to see them, especialy my kitty braveheart. He is going to be so froggin mad!!Hopefully not at me....

The reasons i don't want any of them Declawed
~Protection
~and Bravey JUST came out of his shell towards me, he hates everyone else, and started kneeding my arm. I happen to like the feeling...sob...

I REALLY don't want Panda spayed becuase she has a higher chance of cervical(spell?) cancer if she's spayed, than getting mamory(spell) cancer. Mamory is also easier to treat.

Thats all, I just wanted to vent, I only got on here to do so. Feel free to responed, but i'm going to bed. I'll check the thread 2maro...

G'night!!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:32 pm
Yes Declawing is mean... I do not see how your mother is being even meaner to Panda... she needs her shots.... and spaying is a good thing. (yes it is a lot to happen at once... but better to get it done all at once, then to space every thing over weeks or months.)

I think you have a few things confused. they take out all her reproductive organs, so she wont have a cervix...so no cervical cancer.

here is a link: http://www.saudipaws.com/sn_cats.htm

and her is a quote about the mammary cancer sad risk is with out spaying, reward is with spaying)
Quote:
RISK: Mammary Cancer is the 3rd most common form of cancer found in female cats. Female reproductive hormones are one of the primary causes of mammary cancer in cats.

REWARD: When you have your cat spayed she will have a 40-60% lower risk of developing mammary cancer than those who have not been spayed. The earlier she is spayed the lower the risk.

I do agree that declawing is not good, and I will admit that all three of the cats may come back a little strange. Panda might be young enough she gets use to it and it doesn't change her much, but if the other two are older they may not adjust well.  

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150

xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx

Angelic Vampire

17,900 Points
  • Team Peyo 25
  • That One Hero 500
  • Super Jumper 500
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:02 pm
Actually getting everything done at once is better then doing it separate. If don't separate it can cause major stress on the cat. Spaying is a really good thing as it prevents the two cancers you have mentioned and it can help the cat live a longer life. Plus Female cats should actually be spayed at 4 months old and Males at 6 months so Panda is actually over due and Im sure the others are to. I dont agree much with declawing except if its because its on the least to your home or there is a medical reason for it.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:32 pm
Well.... I'm still not happy....*pouts* Brave was sooo ticked off though!! Their all home now, sleeping and being grumpy too. My poor Bravey *sob* I had to go to the back of the building, cuase the vets didn't want to get him again. He bolted when they opened the door on the day he had to get the claws removed. When i got there i gave him some beef jerkey and grabbed him. He saw the vet and backed SO far in to the kennel. Lol! I'm proud of him!! He got so worked up when he saw her, that he reopened his wounds!! So now my fav sweatshirt is ruined. lol, it's just so funny.

Everyone's okay though, just a little sore is all.....  

MacKoons the Raccoon

Timid Cat

10,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Timid 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

hiysinphlay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:40 pm
Seconding the others on the spaying and shots being a good thing, I too think you got a little confused as spaying will actually decrease the risks of such cancers. It is also a good idea to have it all done at once that way she only has to be put under once. However unlike others in this guild I have very little qualm with declawing. All my cats are declawed because it's a stipulation in my lease.

They will be sore for a while, but as is my experience they will return to their old self's shortly :3 Again this is just my experience and I know others will argue the point. Of course it also depends on the age at which all the cats are the younger one will recover quicker then the others. And the older cats, again depending on age, may have some trouble adjusting. But it is what animals are good at, adapting to survive.

Question for ya though, did she get all the claws removed or just the front set? And how did she get them done? I do hope it was by laser sweatdrop And these are indoor cats right? Strictly indoor, never to go outside?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:17 pm
dragonlover2864
Well.... I'm still not happy....*pouts* Brave was sooo ticked off though!! Their all home now, sleeping and being grumpy too. My poor Bravey *sob* I had to go to the back of the building, cuase the vets didn't want to get him again. He bolted when they opened the door on the day he had to get the claws removed. When i got there i gave him some beef jerkey and grabbed him. He saw the vet and backed SO far in to the kennel. Lol! I'm proud of him!! He got so worked up when he saw her, that he reopened his wounds!! So now my fav sweatshirt is ruined. lol, it's just so funny.

Actually reopening the wounds will be a problem. He has a higher risk of getting an infection now. My mom's dog ripped opened his bandages and it become infected within a hour of being home. So please keep an eye on him. And Im surprised that they didnt use glue instead of stitches. My vet and the Humane Society here uses glue to keep the wounds closed.  

xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx

Angelic Vampire

17,900 Points
  • Team Peyo 25
  • That One Hero 500
  • Super Jumper 500

SpiceItUp9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:23 pm
i have a cat that really likes to play around and bite and when he was fixed the vet had to give him extra stuff to calm him down. she offered to have him declawed but i thought that was bad cuz they are born with claws for a reason right???  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:51 pm
xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx
dragonlover2864

Actually reopening the wounds will be a problem. He has a higher risk of getting an infection now. My mom's dog ripped opened his bandages and it become infected within a hour of being home. So please keep an eye on him. And Im surprised that they didnt use glue instead of stitches. My vet and the Humane Society here uses glue to keep the wounds closed.
Sorry, i should have elaborated. She DID use glue, it's just that poor brave was never a house cat. He was born feral, and i managed to gain his trust through chicken. When he was in the kennel, he kept trying to claw his way out. He endede up ripping the glue off of his left paw. She had me set him on the table so she could put glue back on it. He's better now that he's home, and he hasn't opened it up yet, so thats good news...  

MacKoons the Raccoon

Timid Cat

10,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Timid 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx

Angelic Vampire

17,900 Points
  • Team Peyo 25
  • That One Hero 500
  • Super Jumper 500
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:56 pm
dragonlover2864
xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx
dragonlover2864

Sorry, i should have elaborated. She DID use glue, it's just that poor brave was never a house cat. He was born feral, and i managed to gain his trust through chicken. When he was in the kennel, he kept trying to claw his way out. He endede up ripping the glue off of his left paw. She had me set him on the table so she could put glue back on it. He's better now that he's home, and he hasn't opened it up yet, so thats good news...
Its fine. I just know that some places still uses stitches. And I know about ferals and how hard they are to gain their trust. @_@ My mom's cat Jasmine was a feral and is my cat's sister. It took me 3 days to get her to trust me enough to grab her so my mom could take her. When she was declawed she pulled her glue out and the vet had to use the cast wrapping to wrap her paws together so she would stop. The poor cat couldn't walk right from the wraps.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:05 pm
xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx
dragonlover2864
xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx
dragonlover2864

Its fine. I just know that some places still uses stitches. And I know about ferals and how hard they are to gain their trust. @_@ My mom's cat Jasmine was a feral and is my cat's sister. It took me 3 days to get her to trust me enough to grab her so my mom could take her. When she was declawed she pulled her glue out and the vet had to use the cast wrapping to wrap her paws together so she would stop. The poor cat couldn't walk right from the wraps.
Aww! i'm sorry! it has taken three whole years for Brave to let my mom pick him up, so don't feel bad, k?  

MacKoons the Raccoon

Timid Cat

10,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Timid 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:31 pm
Hope your kitty's feeling better after the ordeal. Like others I would definitely say YAY for the spaying (LESS chance for cancer, not more!) and shots, but BOO for the declawing. I am sorry that your parents chose to make that decision for you.

However, since this actually IS about pets I am going to move it out of Off-Topic and into the Main section where it can get some more attention!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:30 pm
kool, thnx  

MacKoons the Raccoon

Timid Cat

10,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Timid 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash