Reply Community Lounge
But you know you're right!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:32 pm
So as I'm sure most of you know I'm in college taking the early childhood education program and it covers everything possible about children. Physical aspects, emotional needs, behaviours, growth, red flags and so on.

About 2 weeks ago I was talking to a new mom on facebook and she was saying that her kid have a temper tantrum all day long! I said "Children don't have temper tantrums all day long. There was something else bothering her." And this "mom" tried to tell me that I don't know her child and I can't tell her about her child. I thought "You b***h. I have 3 of my ownb and I'm furthering my knowledge in the are of children. How dare you!" That would be like if I told a doctor that I know my body and that's not blood coming out of it.

I tried to explain to her what a temper tantrum is, and why a child is incapable of having one all day long and that mabe she was having them intermittently. This mother still insisted on this and I told her that from what I've learned in school this means this child needs medical attention NOW. I don't think she took my advice.

I ******** HATE when people think they know things that they DON'T! I don't even know all there is about kids and I never will, I just know what things CAN happen, what things SHOULDN't happen, and what things CAN'T happen.

So ATGers, how often does this happen to you? It happens to everyone! You know something super well and someone is trying to tell you different and it takes you all your might not to clock them in the face! Share your stories!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:26 pm
I'm not studying child development and education so I can't say I really relate on that level. In mundane conversation about other things I have run into those who just won't listen. Some of them have been my friends. Honestly, I'll just let it go. If I'm wrong (and often times I am), I've learned something new as a result. If they're wrong, then no amount of argument on my part would have prevented their mistake.

I do wonder why people get all defensive when an explanation challenges what they believe? I get that people are beholden to their beliefs sometimes, but that doesn't validate insult slinging to those who disagree when they're trying to help. Especially when those trying to help have an educated opinion supported by facts on the matter.  

Phaeton

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:01 am
My backyard is filled with all those who opposed me.

( ゚ヮ゚)  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:05 pm
One of my coworkers is really good a this when it comes to computers. I know a lot and am specially trained on all new software roll outs at work. She isn't. I am so that I can then train the rest of my department. She insists she knows of another way to do just about everything when I try to train her. About 80% of the time it is because she doesn't even do the task properly. I've stopped debating her on this, it is way more fun to watch her fail, especially since it is not my fault that she insists on doing it her way despite being trained in the proper way to do things.  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:25 am
I was going to say I hope I get that opportunity... But in my field of work.... NO I DON'T!!! I don't want to see anyone fail with their children! People can fail in other areas for me though, I would like to see that!

Phae I don't know why people get defensive! Maybe it'll shatter their view of their world, but it doesn't mean you should start getting pissy at someone else though!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:34 am
She was probably just getting defensive because the topic involved her child and she didn't want someone else telling her something she didn't already know about her kid. I mean...she shouldn't be whining about it on facebook if she doesn't want other peoples' input. But she probably didn't really want input, she probably wanted to brag about how much harder she has it than other people or something.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:19 am
This sounds like something made for STFU, Parents.

And I'm with Kyla. I wouldn't be surprised if her kid was just whining for 10 minutes and the mother exaggerated it to ALLL DAAAY just to gain herself more sympathy or something.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:05 pm
You know, I totally didn't even think about that! I could see that being what happened.  

God-Raped-Me

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:56 am
xp I used to work with this one girl who constantly acted like the world was caving in on her, and I could never tell if it was totally an act, or if it started as an act that she somehow became convinced was real. Either way I'm pretty used to seeing people exaggerate for attention, particularly on the internet. I mean...I literally see it 100% of the time and it's making me so depressed I don't know how I can continue to use the internet...whine...sob...whine * ninja I hope people don't take that last bit seriously*  
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games