Reply SCA Guild
Rights and Responsibilities

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CassiusD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:12 pm
I just recieved an AoA this last Saturday at a small local event. Apparently I was supposed to recieve it a while back at the clothiers seminar here in Rockhaven but I got really sick and had to miss the event. Anyway, on the scroll it says "giving there with all the rights and responsibilities of this rank". What are the rights and responsibilities associated with recieveing an Award of Arms? They announced it and gave it to me but noone explained that to me.

On a side note, I have tried to avoid getting an AoA because I don't like court and didn't want to get drug out in front of everyone. It worked out ok since the event was so small though. Regardless, I didn't know I could recieve it just for armoring, I just do that because it's fun.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:50 pm
Congratulations!! As for responsibilities, I assume they just mean that you'll be a gentleman and not do anything to get yourself kicked out of the society. They may mean something else specificly, but I don't know.  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Roxsee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:29 pm
Congratulations, Cassius!

Much as LittleGreenGirl has said, I've always considered the "responsibilities" to be your continued courtesy, chivalry and service to those in your group and in the Society.

The "Rights" include the right to bear arms, and the right to be addressed as "Lord" so-and-so. I once heard that the "bearing arms" parts refered not only to your heraldic device becoming your "arms", but that you could now come into the presence of the Royalty with your dagger on your person. I suspect that this may differ from kingdom to kingdom however.

Have you decided on your (heraldic) arms yet?

At least this is what was once described to me...
~ Roxsee  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:42 pm
I haven't come up with heraldic arms yet. I have to contact our local herald, she has a bunch of papers she's given out to people interested about it so I need to get that to find out what can be put on it and all the heraldic rules for the SCA. When I make something I want it to be personal, not just something that looks cool. My activities are primarily armoring and fighting, almost exclusively a mace fighter (I love maces), so I may try to work something from those in. I've seen weapons on devices before, if maces are allowed as part of it I'll probably have one in it somehow. I also know I want the primary background color to be black, that way when I have it on my shield the shield will match up nicely with my armor. Beyond that I'm just not sure what to do.  

CassiusD

Not-So-Sweet Transvestite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:27 pm
Rights=you get to call yourself "Lord," and are entitled to a coat of arms: this is exactly like a device or sigil, except that you get to call it a coat of arms. This is what you're actually getting. Award of Arms. See? Pretty streightforward.

Responsibilities=don't be a d**k. If you are a d**k, do it in the most polite way possible, and know that being a d**k in front of pelicans is really dangerous. Pelicans in general can be dangerous. They make nests out of your hair... Other than that, you're expected to be chivalrous and not break laws. Don't sneak minors onto the field (lots of people do this, but you really shouldn't; as a side note, this may not apply in your kingdom). Don't break treaties. Be aware of treaties. Help out newbies. Be nice to them. Really it all goes back to not being a d**k.

~beltless warrior  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:26 pm
So the responsibilities are pretty much just common sense things that people really should be doing to begin with, at least those things are all things I've tried to always do. Now it's just official that I need to do them. For rights someone in Rockhaven mentioned that I can now wear a circlet if I want, is this true? If so does anyone know if Romans wore circlets of any sort?  

CassiusD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:32 pm
CassiusD
So the responsibilities are pretty much just common sense things that people really should be doing to begin with, at least those things are all things I've tried to always do. Now it's just official that I need to do them. For rights someone in Rockhaven mentioned that I can now wear a circlet if I want, is this true? If so does anyone know if Romans wore circlets of any sort?

Romans would have worn laurels, but if you do that you'll get in trouble. You might be able to get away with a circlet engraved with laurels, but that's about it. As to whether even the circlet is accepted, check local laws. If you can't find them in your kingdom bylaws, ask an officer. They'll generally know or have the ability to find out for you.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:49 pm
CassiusD

As Squire to Fools said, there are generally restrictions on circlets. In most kingdoms, getting your AoA (in terms of circlets) means that you can wear a basic non precious metal circlet within certain widths. Whether or not it can be decorated by carvings, jewels, etc. varies from Kingdom to Kingdom.  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

CassiusD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:54 pm
squire to fools
CassiusD

Romans would have worn laurels, but if you do that you'll get in trouble. You might be able to get away with a circlet engraved with laurels, but that's about it. As to whether even the circlet is accepted, check local laws. If you can't find them in your kingdom bylaws, ask an officer. They'll generally know or have the ability to find out for you.

Yeah, I knew about laurels and knew that would be out. After doing some research I found that there were a couple different types of circlet like thing worn sometimes by Romans, they were both given as rewards to soldiers though. One was a wreath of oak leaves given for saving the life of citizens in battle. The other is a golden circlet in the form of a city wall given to the soldier who first climbed the wall of an enemies camp. I don't want to presume to wear either of those, especially since I didn't get my AoA for martial activities. I suppose the relevant thing here though is that they did wear circlets of some form so even just wearing a simple brass band may be ok. I talked to our former seneshal and he said that a circlet may be worn after recieveing an AoA, people don't need to though. I'll probably get one for more fromal occasions like feasts and court (if I ever go to one).

[edit]
I finally found the exact rules for Northshield. "Recipients of Awards of Arms may wear a simple metal circlet, ornamented as they see fit, with no more than one protrusion, not exceeding one inch overall."  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:51 am
CassiusD
squire to fools
CassiusD

Yeah, I knew about laurels and knew that would be out. After doing some research I found that there were a couple different types of circlet like thing worn sometimes by Romans, they were both given as rewards to soldiers though. One was a wreath of oak leaves given for saving the life of citizens in battle. The other is a golden circlet in the form of a city wall given to the soldier who first climbed the wall of an enemies camp. I don't want to presume to wear either of those, especially since I didn't get my AoA for martial activities. I suppose the relevant thing here though is that they did wear circlets of some form so even just wearing a simple brass band may be ok. I talked to our former seneshal and he said that a circlet may be worn after recieveing an AoA, people don't need to though. I'll probably get one for more fromal occasions like feasts and court (if I ever go to one).

[edit]
I finally found the exact rules for Northshield. "Recipients of Awards of Arms may wear a simple metal circlet, ornamented as they see fit, with no more than one protrusion, not exceeding one inch overall."

My lord, a "golden circlet" in the shape of a wall is exactly the same as a duke wears. Seriously, NOT a fight to pick.  

CassiusD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:45 pm
squire to fools
CassiusD
squire to fools
CassiusD

[edit]

My lord, a "golden circlet" in the shape of a wall is exactly the same as a duke wears. Seriously, NOT a fight to pick.

Thanks for warning me, I doubt I would have worn something like that anyway though. I'll probably just get a basic, unornamented circlet. Otherwise I did see a real simple circlet made once. They took a few copper welding rods, clamped down one end of them, then spireled them togather with a drill. Then just measure it, clip any extra, and solder the ends togather.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:55 pm
Squire to fools was a little off. That's a Count's hat, not a Duke's.  

Courtesan Brigitte

CassiusD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm
Brigit the slave child

Regardless it's something I have no business wearing.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:22 am
Brigit the slave child

Actually, I believe this depends on the Kingdom. I've seen Dukes with the, er, crenellated (I can't think of the proper heraldic term!) circlet rather than the strawberry leaves. In the Kingdom of the Middle, I believe, though I may be wrong.  

Imzy
Crew

Felix OFlyn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:21 pm
Well I really don't know anything but congrats on the award, even if you didn't really whant it.  
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games