Submit

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:04 pm
imderanged
And the HSUS isn't much better these days! Contrary to popular belief, the HSUS is NOT affiliated with local shelters. For all of their commercials starring sad looking shelter animals, very little money ever goes to shelters. Most of the money goes to "operational costs" (read: executives' salaries) and political lobbying ... such as advocating the banning of reptiles as pets!

I think the discrepancy there is that a lot of shelters do call themselves "The Humane Society of such and such". So people should be aware that their local Humane Society is probably not related to HSUS, and those shelters should be supported. I agree with you about HSUS though. Shameful. Then again, it's just like those feed the children commercials. They show you hungry little kids when a lot of those companies use more for salaries and whatnot than what actually goes into the charity. It's a safe bet to always do research on any organization that you're looking to donate to, and make sure that they're up front about their operating costs and what percentage actually goes to the cause.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:54 pm
imderanged
And the HSUS isn't much better these days! Contrary to popular belief, the HSUS is NOT affiliated with local shelters. For all of their commercials starring sad looking shelter animals, very little money ever goes to shelters. Most of the money goes to "operational costs" (read: executives' salaries) and political lobbying ... such as advocating the banning of reptiles as pets!
AGREED. I am no fan of H$U$. I support LOCAL rescues like Friends of Animals, Friends in Need, Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, Furburbia, Pit Crew, etc., as well as OCCASIONAL national groups like USARK, REXANO, and most of ASPCA's causes.

I am in for of adoption in favor of buying (but that a responsible breeder is sometimes also a good option),that BANNING breeds and species just puts MORE animals in overcrowded rescues and sanctuaries, and that vegetarianism is a personal choice, though we as a society SHOULD strive for more humane farm practices. Still, veganism, particularly, shouldn't be forced on anyone. And mostly, if these groups like HSUS were all at least HONEST about their actions people could choose whether they wanted to support them. As is, they are SO deceptive it is horrid!  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers