Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Christian friends
Harry Potter-What Do You Think? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Avioke

Conservative Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:10 am
Vegeta_Lover239

Two, his name reminds me of mold. D:

'Voldy's gone moldy, so let's have some fun!" biggrin

Ah, this topic. It's a very interesting one, let me tell you. I've had plenty of discussions about Harry Potter with other Christians, and every time I learn something new. By the way, if you have not read the seventh book, there is a spoiler in the paragraph starting with 'The Harry Potter series is wonderfully written...' Just warning you ahead of time.

I have heard differently from all different sources about how Christmas was originally developed, but I am not sure what I believe. One person has told me that it was created, originally, by the Pagans a long time ago. I did not think it was true, but I have no evidence against the claim. Neither do I to the claim that the Spanish created Christmas, but I'm not sure if I believe that yet either. I will do research of my own, unless you have a citation for your source, oO-carrioncrow-Oo.

But Christmas is celebrated by nearly everyone, though most don't like to call it Christmas because saying the word 'Christ' is, apparently, offensive. Christmas, it seems, is not centered around Jesus Christ or God anymore, it is more centered around Santa Claus, Saint Nicholas, Sinterklaas, whatever you call him. The man the flies around and drops into houses through chimneys, distributing gifts throughout the world to all of the good youngens. Of course, he is not real, but when most people hear the word Christmas, they think of gifts and Santa Claus, not the birth or the celebration of the birth of Jesus. That is the truth of it. Christmas is not a religious holiday, it is a holiday that many people celebrate. I am sure that some of the witches and wizards in the series of Harry Potter are Christians, but J.K. Rowling did not specify.

This is related to the question, but has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas. I would just love to hear your thoughts on the matter. I have heard a few Christians say that the story is good, but they don't much like it because the concept of witches and wizards is evil. This is true, but as Jester25 said, that is because the magic they are granted is from the Devil. If these children in the series are born with it, then wouldn't that be considered a gift from God? Perhaps this is, actually, a holy gift, not something that makes them evil. I plan to ask God this when I see him. I would just love to hear is thoughts on the Harry Potter series.

The Harry Potter series is wonderfully written [at least the last books] and a great story, and it has so many Christian themes, little tints of our beliefs here and there. The self-sacrifice that Harry makes is so related to how Jesus died on the cross. Harry did that for everyone, because that was the only way he could defeat Voldemort. I do not think Voldemort represent the Devil as much as he represents Sin itself. Harry sacrificed himself to eradicate the evil that was taking people over, killing them. Jesus died to wipe the slate clean, and destroy Sin. Or at least forgive it.

Also, I would like to note, It is not known of Jesus was born in the Summer at all. I celebrate it on Christmas, but I have heard many things. Some say he was born in the Spring, near Easter. It does not say in the Bible, Vegeta_Lover239 and oO-carrioncrow-Oo, that he was born in the summer. The truth is, we can hardly know for sure when he was born. So let's just wait it out and ask him one day, eh? biggrin

And Vegeta_Lover239, I highly recommend reading a real Bible. In fact, I think you should ask for one for Christmas--an adult one. I have not read all the way through, but it is wonderful to read, and so encouraging. Read it before school or work or whatever you do with your time, and you feel so much better throughout the day, I find. And you must get your own because you should take notes and highlight. Some people think it is defacing something Holy, but I beg to differ. It is not the pages and ink that make it holy, it is not the cover of it. What makes it holy is what the words say, and if you highlight them or add to them or underline them, you are making use of them. It is more holy when you are interacting with them and making sense out of them than when you leave it blank.

Bibles are a wonderful thing to have. I need a new one myself--I have had my current Bible since I was very young. The text itself is no different from an 'adult's' bible, but I wrote notes in it that don't make sense to anyone but a child, and I've doodled on the back a bit. I'm a tad OCD, so I need something clean and neat and new.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:16 pm
Well I loved the series, not the author. People accuse her of being a witch because she wrote about witchcraft. Witchcraft actually means wise creations, I think they celebrated Christmas not because of Jesus, but because it's the most popular holiday and J.K Rowling probably didn't want to write about Kwanzaa {I have nothing against Kwanzaa or any other holiday}
The Bible does state Wizards and Witches are evil, but they don't exsist so I guess it doesn't matter anyway!

Harry Potter is just fiction anyway, totally awesomesauce fiction  

Hidden By Music

6,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Vegeta_Lover239

9,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:33 pm
Suiveur de Dieu
Vegeta_Lover239

Two, his name reminds me of mold. D:

'Voldy's gone moldy, so let's have some fun!" biggrin

Ah, this topic. It's a very interesting one, let me tell you. I've had plenty of discussions about Harry Potter with other Christians, and every time I learn something new. By the way, if you have not read the seventh book, there is a spoiler in the paragraph starting with 'The Harry Potter series is wonderfully written...' Just warning you ahead of time.

I have heard differently from all different sources about how Christmas was originally developed, but I am not sure what I believe. One person has told me that it was created, originally, by the Pagans a long time ago. I did not think it was true, but I have no evidence against the claim. Neither do I to the claim that the Spanish created Christmas, but I'm not sure if I believe that yet either. I will do research of my own, unless you have a citation for your source, oO-carrioncrow-Oo.

But Christmas is celebrated by nearly everyone, though most don't like to call it Christmas because saying the word 'Christ' is, apparently, offensive. Christmas, it seems, is not centered around Jesus Christ or God anymore, it is more centered around Santa Claus, Saint Nicholas, Sinterklaas, whatever you call him. The man the flies around and drops into houses through chimneys, distributing gifts throughout the world to all of the good youngens. Of course, he is not real, but when most people hear the word Christmas, they think of gifts and Santa Claus, not the birth or the celebration of the birth of Jesus. That is the truth of it. Christmas is not a religious holiday, it is a holiday that many people celebrate. I am sure that some of the witches and wizards in the series of Harry Potter are Christians, but J.K. Rowling did not specify.

This is related to the question, but has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas. I would just love to hear your thoughts on the matter. I have heard a few Christians say that the story is good, but they don't much like it because the concept of witches and wizards is evil. This is true, but as Jester25 said, that is because the magic they are granted is from the Devil. If these children in the series are born with it, then wouldn't that be considered a gift from God? Perhaps this is, actually, a holy gift, not something that makes them evil. I plan to ask God this when I see him. I would just love to hear is thoughts on the Harry Potter series.

The Harry Potter series is wonderfully written [at least the last books] and a great story, and it has so many Christian themes, little tints of our beliefs here and there. The self-sacrifice that Harry makes is so related to how Jesus died on the cross. Harry did that for everyone, because that was the only way he could defeat Voldemort. I do not think Voldemort represent the Devil as much as he represents Sin itself. Harry sacrificed himself to eradicate the evil that was taking people over, killing them. Jesus died to wipe the slate clean, and destroy Sin. Or at least forgive it.

Also, I would like to note, It is not known of Jesus was born in the Summer at all. I celebrate it on Christmas, but I have heard many things. Some say he was born in the Spring, near Easter. It does not say in the Bible, Vegeta_Lover239 and oO-carrioncrow-Oo, that he was born in the summer. The truth is, we can hardly know for sure when he was born. So let's just wait it out and ask him one day, eh? biggrin

And Vegeta_Lover239, I highly recommend reading a real Bible. In fact, I think you should ask for one for Christmas--an adult one. I have not read all the way through, but it is wonderful to read, and so encouraging. Read it before school or work or whatever you do with your time, and you feel so much better throughout the day, I find. And you must get your own because you should take notes and highlight. Some people think it is defacing something Holy, but I beg to differ. It is not the pages and ink that make it holy, it is not the cover of it. What makes it holy is what the words say, and if you highlight them or add to them or underline them, you are making use of them. It is more holy when you are interacting with them and making sense out of them than when you leave it blank.

Bibles are a wonderful thing to have. I need a new one myself--I have had my current Bible since I was very young. The text itself is no different from an 'adult's' bible, but I wrote notes in it that don't make sense to anyone but a child, and I've doodled on the back a bit. I'm a tad OCD, so I need something clean and neat and new.

Actually, I read the series two times. I'm on the last chapter of the last book, this being my third time. biggrin
If they were born with magical powers, it SHOULD be a gift from God, no? Or are people saying the Devil intercepts some baby deliveries and says, 'Here you go! Evil magical powers! Go reck some havoc for me! ^^'? xD

There's a point right there, actually. Harry does die for everyone, like Jesus died for everyone. :]

Magic isn't nessisarily evil. If it exists, it would depend what the person does with this gift(whether evil or good) that makes the difference. It could be given for evil purposes, but used for good. Or maybe given for good reasons, but used for evil. :3

That's my thoughts on it. :3

(PS: If none of that makes any sense, or I say things twice or say something that goes against something I just pointed out, sorry. Once I start thinking, my brain goes onto a train of thought. EXAMPLE: I'll be thinking of trees, and suddenly it'll go to trains. o.o

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:58 pm
Pure Opinion: Harry Potter is, as panda said, totally awesome fiction. Those who condemn it because it says witchcraft are IGNORANT FOOLS. Where are we, the Salem Witch Trials? You have to be an idiot to run away from the word "witch."  

Gregar828

Christian friends

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces