Me
  A collection of people
  Sociopaths >.>;
  Well-adjusted children
  Lavender monkeys
View Results

Lobo-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:55 pm
So, I was just talking to my girlfriend and was trying to describe something about one of my characters. I realized about halfway through explaining that this character sounded like they had zero morals/inhibitions based on my description until I went back and clarified some things. This also lead to me listing of 3-4 other characters she doesn't know that are absolutely horrible and now I'll have to explain them to her at some point.

Some of my characters just pop into my head and I'm not sure where they're coming from until they're already there. This leads to some interesting stories, but it also leaves me shaking my head at myself and wondering how I can write the things I do.

Basically... Do you ever stop to think about the characters you've created and realize how confusing or horrible they sound? Do people look at you funny when you're trying to explain your characters or stories? Things like that, basically.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:09 pm
I always feel my writing is sub-par, and seem to feel bashful when explaining it to someone. So I don't really like to haha.  

SuchSweetSadism

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200

blue_lutra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:16 pm
I find that I assign different emotional states that I have to different characters. When I'm angry, I consider myself to be channeling my angry character. When I'm crying for no apparent reason (women do that sometimes >.> ), I'm the angry character's fragile twin sister. Somehow, I've made myself into a constant neutral and emotions aren't mine but that of a character.

I find myself trying to explain something funny that was written concerning a character of mine, and that explanation turning into a long drawn-out narrative that just confuses the person I'm talking to.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:32 pm
Well...my head is weird.
I get lot's of characters and go "HOW THE ******** WERE YOU CREATED? o.0" when I revise. XD  

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Lobo-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:15 pm
Yeah... some of my characters I actually think about before writing them, others just appear. Oh staying up late and night and trying to find someone to fit what you wrote the next morning ^.^;

It just gets really weird when you start writing and one of your characters decides to do something without asking you first. One of my male characters decided to get pregnant for a creative writing assignment... sweatdrop (he's a shapeshifter, though, so it makes sense?)  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:45 pm
I'm a creative writing/communications double major and my characters turn into some well interesting...characters. i wrote one play that was 2 guys in prison that were completely mental and wanted to steal a monkey. yeah. random. but it turned out to be completely awesome. I let my characters dictate to me who they want to be. I don't really force them to be anything. I just let them take on the persona that they want to. I just let things flow and play by ear. It's like, even as the author, i'm just a reader. it's an amazing feeling.  

Kaz Likes Cookies

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Flatterer 200

SuchSweetSadism

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 am
Kaz Likes Cookies
I'm a creative writing/communications double major and my characters turn into some well interesting...characters. i wrote one play that was 2 guys in prison that were completely mental and wanted to steal a monkey. yeah. random. but it turned out to be completely awesome. I let my characters dictate to me who they want to be. I don't really force them to be anything. I just let them take on the persona that they want to. I just let things flow and play by ear. It's like, even as the author, i'm just a reader. it's an amazing feeling.

I hear this often, but I don't understand how it's done. Could you elaborate?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:54 am
Kaz Likes Cookies
I'm a creative writing/communications double major and my characters turn into some well interesting...characters. i wrote one play that was 2 guys in prison that were completely mental and wanted to steal a monkey. yeah. random.

rofl  

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Lobo-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:54 pm
Mmmm, sweet monkey goodness, Kaz razz

Sadism: My writing turns out like what Kaz is describing half the time, and there's no real "how it's done" (at least for me). Sorry for not being helpful ^.^;  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:42 pm
When I explain the characters that I have created I always fall back to the one thing that they are addicted to or are obsessed with. My current characters are obsessed with either fire or dragons ^_^  

Kusaragi

Versatile Flatterer

9,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Lobo-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:02 am
Why are you writing about me, Kusa? razz  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:20 pm
User Image
Silly is you in a natural state,
and serious is something you have to do
until you can get silly again

My characters generally have these huge backstories to them so I can understand completely trying to explain something about them and end up with a hour long lecture because of how complicated it gets. xD;

( ゚ヮ゚)

Rica is insane

6,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items