Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Tips for creating a monster (4e)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:40 pm
Well, this is for my arena thread, but i'm trying to learn how to properly customize monster stats. Any pointers?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:52 pm
Wolfram Asher Davidson
Well, this is for my arena thread, but i'm trying to learn how to properly customize monster stats. Any pointers?
steal everything.

the easiest way to make a new monster is to take an old monster and call it something else. the easiest way to actually customize monsters is to take an existing power, and put it on a new monster, or put it on a new monster and take off one or more of that monster's powers. do not make anything whole cloth unless you're desperate, there are too many pieces out there to not just resort back to the days of lego.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Brother Little Alex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:01 pm
I agree with the above, although just replicating seems a little lack luster. With all the Monster Builders out there made for 3.x and 4e, it's ridiculously easy. If you have the official Monster Builder, it has every ability in the game available for use, editing, and cloning.

I use the official Monster Builder from WotC for everything and almost every game. It's just great.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:19 pm
Brother Little Alex
I agree with the above, although just replicating seems a little lack luster. With all the Monster Builders out there made for 3.x and 4e, it's ridiculously easy. If you have the official Monster Builder, it has every ability in the game available for use, editing, and cloning.

I use the official Monster Builder from WotC for everything and almost every game. It's just great.
i do, but i'm wondering what's appropriate for a level 30 solo  

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Brother Little Alex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:26 pm
If you got DM's guide, it has a great break down on equality of encounters. Granted it never takes into account of one person facing something, it does break things down into experience points and types of encounters.

At level 30, a Solo monster would give ~555000 experience. So building a monster to meet this would be one way.

Or like said above, just grab a monster at level 30 and modify it to meet that experience output.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:27 pm
Brother Little Alex

I've also heard this is a good program to use.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:28 pm
Brother Little Alex
Or like said above, just grab a monster at level 30 and modify it to meet that experience output.
alternately, take a bunch of level 30 monsters, cherry pick the best abilities from each, and mush them together to make a new monster.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:32 am
so, i used the templates from the adventure builder and it was quite helpful, especially when i needed to adjust the level for my critiques.

i think i did pretty good, all things considered, but the stats themselves are "unrealistic" because i make these stats based on certain aspects of the winning entry (STR being execution of idea, CHA appeal to me as a voter and critic, etc.)  

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:32 pm
Wolfram Asher Davidson
so, i used the templates from the adventure builder and it was quite helpful, especially when i needed to adjust the level for my critiques.

i think i did pretty good, all things considered, but the stats themselves are "unrealistic" because i make these stats based on certain aspects of the winning entry (STR being execution of idea, CHA appeal to me as a voter and critic, etc.)
to be fair, the actual ability scores of monsters matter very little in practice. unlike PCs, attack modifiers, etc. are determined strictly by level and role, with abilities not factoring in. so while it's a good idea to not have any outrageous ability scores, you could with little issue.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:43 pm
allow me to reemphasize that these monster stats are for non-"hero" ARENA ENTRIES and are for descriptive purposes xp  

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:08 pm
I would just like to add to Spork's original suggestion. If you decide to nitpick from certain monsters' powers and abilities, I recommend trying to do so from monsters of the same type. Take lurker powers for a lurker, soldier powers for a soldier, etc. If you grab whatever, you end up with a monster that might not necessarily fit any role, and when building their stats like HPs and defenses, it makes it difficult to decide what you should pick.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games