Reply Community Lounge
Rent or Buy?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Surazal Dloc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:56 am
So I've been wanting a Plasma or an LCD TV for the longest time now, and I really want to get one so I can get myself a Blu-Ray player and see really shiny movies.

There are some pretty cheap good name brand TVs out there roughly around $1,000. The thing is I'm trying to save so I can go on my holiday to North America in April and I don't want to have to wait until April PLUS however long after that it takes to save up.

So I've been looking at renting something. The payments are small enough that it would be easy enough to get, but when you add it up the total cost on the same TVs you can buy for $1,000 is like $2,800. Thats quite alot extra.

I was just wondering about your guys thoughts on this. Maybe I just need some encouraging thoughts to stick with it until after my holiday and I save up for one xD  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:27 am
It's really up to you. If you think it's worth the extra money for smaller payments then go with rent to own. If you just can't stand the idea of paying that much for a tv, buy one outright.

It's all about what it's worth to you!

I worked in a rent to own company and people would say, "how can you do this? you're robbing people!?" I would turn around and tell them, "hey, to some people who don't have that kind of money in their pockets, or who have bad credit, or high bills, this is worth that money to them. Just because it's not worth it to you doesn't mean it's not worth it to a mother of 5 who needs a couch for their children to sit on, or a table to eat off of." The look on their faces was pity, shock, and sometimes disgust. I loved when people would be like "oh ya... I guess there are people like that out there...."  

God-Raped-Me

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:07 pm
Wait until Black Thursday before you do anything. Unless you need one right now.

You also have to consider size, specs, room available in your home, will it get through the door, etc. Certain brands are also cheaper, but more durable. For instance, a nice 26" Visio TV cost me around $300 at a Wal-mart. Shop around, look for good deals. Be a savvy consumer. Also, don't forget to make sure that your outlets are the proper type, and whether or not you'll need surge suppressors or the like. Electronics are dreadfully affected by storms, especially if there is a power spike.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:33 pm
GRM: You tell'm girl!

Erv: Lol yah I know what I'm doing it more I guessj ust peoples onpions on them. I suppose I don't need one, and I can wait perhaps until I get back hom from my trip in April to save. Also we dont's has Black Thrusday in Australia.  

Surazal Dloc

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:28 am
To you from failing hands we throw
the torch; be yours to hold it high

Yeah Black Friday is purely a US event. Well that black friday, anyways. The term is used in a much more disturbing context in other places.

Laz, I personally think that renting anything is like flushing money down the toilette, unless one is renting to own, and even then you end up paying through the nose. It's better to get credit if you can and buy the thing straight out, in my opinion. Especially when one is planning a trip to another continent. But I am crazy.

If ye break faith with us who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow in Flanders Feild.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:40 pm
It sounds to me like it would be a massive waste for you to rent. The TV is a want not a need for starters. Are you really going to spend an extra $1800 just so you can watch movies in higher quality sooner? Don't throw away your money. It would be better to be patient.

Also, here in Australia, Black Thursday, Black Friday, and Black Saturday were days in our history of horrific bushfires that resulted in the tragic loss of a number of lives, a large number of properties, and of course damage to native animal plant and animal life.  

[ Terra ]

5,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200

Surazal Dloc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:45 pm
Hooray and thankyou for everyone talking sense into me xD I'll just wait until After my trip sad Ah well I suppose in the end I'll be happier knowing I didn't spend as much money.

Terra: Awesome to see you has you November 5 costume going on biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:38 pm
Ah, right. I keep forgetting that not everyone has that particular capitalist holiday in their area. My bad. But you could always "convince" one of us western folk to send you one.
Provided it wouldn't be crazily expensive otherwise.
...I can't seem to type today.  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

SuchSweetSadism

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:49 am
buying to me is always more preferable.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:41 pm
i know this is after the fact, but i think you're making the right decision in waiting to buy it. the massive amounts of extra don't seem worth it for something that essentially is a luxory item... can you live without for a bit? probably, yes. and when the day finally arrives when you can get it after waiting, you'd be SO satisfied. 3nodding (note: this philosophy is not something i apply to housing, which is what i thought this thread would be about xD would waiting and saving for a house you own be better? maybe, but all's i know is i'm not waiting forever to finally 'own' where i live, only to feel stuck there when i wanna move)  

~DR.MOOFASA~

Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff