Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Run swordmage! Here comes the 4e hexblade!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:03 am
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20101029

This sounds like eight kinds of badass, but like many of the Essential builds it has only a loose connection to the PHB classes. Even so, a melee class that conjures a weapon out of an arcane implement? Awwsim! I do like how the description of the infernal pact elaborates on how you're screwing over Asmodeus by simply being there.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:19 pm
Reminds me of the SoulKnife from 3.5. I like classes that can manifest stuff like weapons and whatnot, so this interests me.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:23 pm
Classes making their own weapons was a big taboo at the outset of 4e, I believe since they wanted to make players universally reliant on gear. With tools like the ki focus and this pact blade being dependent on the implement, I think they've found their way in this respect.

I think AV even has armor you can summon in a Centurions/Ronin Warriors sort of way  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:35 pm
Yeah, but with the new Psion build from Psionic Power, it seems they're easing up to that thought. Still, making a weapon from magic/psionic power still has limitations, like you can't enchant them, which will mean that Hexblades using their magical blades frequently will be a step behind a well-equipped Fighter or Rogue.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:53 pm
Keith Valken Lionheart
Yeah, but with the new Psion build from Psionic Power, it seems they're easing up to that thought. Still, making a weapon from magic/psionic power still has limitations, like you can't enchant them, which will mean that Hexblades using their magical blades frequently will be a step behind a well-equipped Fighter or Rogue.

In some ways yes, in some ways no. I haven't seen Psionic Power, but the pact blade is tied to an implement which means the blade is as good as your wand or rod.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games