Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
I feel like giving immediate notice.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

~ Milk Mynk ~

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:21 pm
I really need to get this off my chest.

I'm currently working in a small general insurance brokerage (I'm handling motor insurance), as a customer service officer. My duties include liasing with clients and car salespersons, providing quotations, closing quotes. Pretty standard stuff.

The catch... My contract has a bond period of 15 months. And no, they do not send us for extensive training/give us a scholarship, anything like that. (Yes, I was stupid to sign it.)

And of course, the workload is insane. The company had, like, TWO customer service officers handling the entire motor insurance line (which makes up the lion's share of our business). And my colleague quit a few weeks ago. There's a new girl, but she's not yet certified. I've been working till 10 or 11pm 3 days out of the week, and I cannot complete my work. And the worst thing is... The company doesn't pay OT, feels like it's natural for you to stay back if you can't complete (even if that's entirely the fault of how shitty their HR management is), and constantly pressures you to handle everything all at once.

And to top it all off, we have next to nil benefits, and my pay is very low, especially for a graduate.

My bond period ends next Thursday.

And at this point, I really, really feel like giving immediate notice and pay them one month's salary in lieu of notice (heck, it's not that much). Yet I fear it might be too irresponsible; the new girl is not yet ready to work independently, and hence the workload would fall directly on my manager.

But I woke up crying this morning, and I feel like I'm having a nervous breakdown... I sleepwalk, and sleep in fits, waking up every few hours.

I really don't know. On one side, I feel like I'm breaking down. On the other, they -cannot- cope without me. I know this for fact.

PS : To elaborate, I'm not blowing my horn. It takes anywhere from 3 to 6 months to train a new recruit to be certified and competent in working as a customer service officer (since we also advise on insurance terms). And they're not going to be able to find an experienced insurance agent at the pay, benefits, and contract they are imposing.

tldr; My company sucks and I want to give immediate notice. But I worry that my company and colleagues would collapse if I do. Contradictory much?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:52 pm
It's so close, I say take a sick day and give it half-a** until the end. If you reach your snapping point, fake a migraine and go home. Do whatever you've got to do to survive and see this through. And when you're no longer in that bond, screw them and let them see ow much they needed you. Companies like this never learn their lesson, so you might as well hurt them back. Don't let them make you pay them for this hell.  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Hajimechii

Magical Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:24 pm
i agree with lychee. there is no need for you to feel responsible for their short commings. 50% of the time a company will beg for you to a.)stay or b.)come back....not to mention a good percentage of time the company will listen to a few demands and what not...why dont you either a.) quit and find something to make you happy or b.) make some demands ;3  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:54 am
Well when your contract is up they'll probably want to keep you, and it sounds like they need to do that, which means you have them by the balls. Demand what you want, and if they don't want to let you have a suitable lifestyle, work elsewhere. It might feel like you are going to hurt your friends if you leave, but you have to live and you deserve not to be treated better at work.  

Aaditya

~ Milk Mynk ~

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:36 pm
Thanks guys... Just ranting made me feel better.

One problem is that I really, /really/ hate the boss and managers. They just... The feeling of working for them is like you're slowly being squeezed dry, like you don't have rights.

They've recently been employing foreigners (about 25% of our workers are foreigners) because no locals will sign the contract. And the conditions they are imposing on them are horrific. The new girl needs to pay 2 months pay upfront if she wants to quit within 2 years, and if she is terminated/fired she needs to pay 1 month's pay.

Does that even make sense?

I definitely won't stay after my contract ends, whether in the end I give them immediate or the normal one month notice. My boyfriend's been egging me to do the former, but I told him I'd decide by Monday...

@ Lychee and Hajime, I know, right? It's not even really about the money, it's just that I hate giving in and letting them squeeze the 1 month's pay from me.

... ;-;  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff