Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Christian friends
So I'm finally home but...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Saint Crazy The Follower

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:00 pm
...something doesn't feel right?

I've just started college in August and I'm visiting home this weekend for the first time in a month and a half. I've really been looking forward to this weekend because I was really missing my friends and college is stressing me out.
But I guess the visit isn't turning out like I planned? I still have an essay to write, my friends are busy and my parents don't seem interested in doing anything.

I spent some time at my best friend's house last night, I really just wish I could be with him this weekend instead of here waiting.
It's moments like these when I wonder, is college really worth it for me?
I know that it is just because I don't really have another option, but I just don't feel really happy about it.
:/

Being 'successful' just seems overrated, especially compared to happiness and love.
I think God wants me to take the college path, though. So I guess I'll just have to power through it.

...just airing what's on my mind...  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:08 pm
College didn't really feel right for me, either. You can always do what I did. Join the military. I'm heading out for basic next month (or so they tell me) and by the time my enlistment is up, I'll be much better off than your average college graduate. On top of that, I could knock out a degree while I'm in. Just something to consider.  

rosadria

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:05 pm
You can tickle me pink,
orange, red, or
blue, but not grey

VK put out a very good suggestion. My dad went to college for a little bit but when it was too stressful and not feeling right, he went into the Air Force. His friend did the same thing, (or he went the military path, one of the two.) They both apparently gained a lot more knowledge then the people who went to college because they are the smartest and most capable people (by a landslide) in their departments. Everybody else goes to them when they have no clue what to do because apparently college didn't teach them what the Air Force and the military(?) taught my dad and his friend. Pray about it and if you feel that the Lord wants you to stay in college then just continue to pray that he gives you the strength to make it through.

Because grey will not do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:46 pm
Military definitely isn't for me. I have a lot of respect for people in the military fields, because they are very capable, strong individuals, and I'm sure that their training makes them that way.
But I feel like I don't want to be in the military both on principle and that I do not feel called to join in any way.

I feel like God gave me a certain amount of intelligence and that really, college is the only way to go. It's just the path I was given. I guess I'm just confused because I don't really know where the path is leading.  

Saint Crazy The Follower

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:13 pm
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

Maybe pray that he would show you. Do you already know what career you'll be going into? Are you studying for a specific degree at the moment? Or are you just doing exploratory stuff? If you don't know what career you're going into yet, maybe start researching them deeply and see what you feel more moved towards. And again, of course, pray. ^^

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:41 pm
Yes, I have an idea of where I want to be.
I think I want to change my major from Environmental Engineering to Environmental Science, though I'm not sure whether I want to add on Education or not just yet.

I guess my ideal life after college would be to go out in the world, have some adventures, solve problems and help people, etc, I just don't know where or how yet. And then afterwards, I can come home and be a high school teacher.
Of course my plan doesn't mean much considering that God will have His own plans, I'm sure. xD

I'm taking some steps, meeting with advisors, researching options, etc, and praying of course. I just hope I can be sure of where I'm going one of these days.  

Saint Crazy The Follower

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:10 pm
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

If you don't mind saying, what kind of college are you attending? Is it a regular college or Christian college? If you are at a regular college, maybe you could try finding a Christian one. You might feel more comfortable and have a better view of things. ^^

Also I do understand how you feel, I'm a little confused on where I want to go and where the Lord is leading me to. It's a little scary not knowing what is in the future, but at least the Lord knows. ^^

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:24 pm
I hate college, with a burning passion. This is my last semester in college as a computer science major, and I loathe being on campus. Every time I walk to campus, and every person I talk to, I get the sense of pride and selfish ambition on the rise... I can't help but feel that college is just for those who want to get a lot out of life... a lot of stuff not including God. I'm only finishing my college degree just to make my family happy because they want me to be successful and rich here in America... but I feel that God doesn't want us to be like that... to be rich and successful, to gain so much of man's knowledge.

Yes God wants us to earn money and support ourselves and not to be sluggards... but what's so bad about just raising a farm and growing your own crops? College is like a trap... you become a slave to men, and then you become vulnerable to sin....

I only have a few more months left... and I aim to break away from this "American Dream" path asap and do what God really wants us to do.... to be charitable to others, and to spread the Word.

We are here on earth to glorify God... not ourselves.  

Grace from God

Blessed Informer

serene__

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:33 am
I also think that success can be overrated. People sometimes work so hard at earning money that they forget how to live. They build up student debts and end up spending the rest of their lives working to pay it off.

So I think personally, that everyone should understand their own limits and earn just enough to keep a comfortable and modest life.

Meanwhile, you can try joining some Christian clubs around your school. (If you haven't already.) There's always a lot of new and friendly people who can relate to you well.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:02 pm
I understand where you come from, Grace. I really do.
But I can assure you that I am not attending college so that I can be rich or successful in terms of money or power.

But I feel like God gave me the gift of intelligence and insight and whatever else I have for a reason. God does want us to serve Him, but the ways you can do that are practically limitless. God's people should be everywhere, not just on our own little farms where we are in contact with few people; but all of our paths are different, and we shouldn't be comparing ourselves to each other because God has His own plans for us.

Also, God wants us to be happy and joyful in whatever we do. And I think I'm just a little to ambitious for my own good to just keep to myself on a farm. ^^;

Anyway, I think, after a lot of thought and support from my closest friends, that I have a better idea of where i want to be headed. I have an advising appointment soon and I'm looking forward to working it out.

If you're curious, I'm attending Southern Methodist University. (which, fyi, is secular)
My degree track was on pre-Engineering but I'm planning on changing it to Environmental Science, with a minor in Music, and possibly Education.
I feel like these are the things I'll be most passionate about and will be the things I'll want to do with my life.  

Saint Crazy The Follower

Christian friends

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff