Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
D&D essentials changes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:46 pm
just a heads up for the 4e folks who like their errata: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/essentials

nothing that strikes me as a really big deal that wasn't already reported. rapiers not superior any more raised my eyebrow, but seems fine.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:58 pm
SporkMaster5000
just a heads up for the 4e folks who like their errata: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/essentials

nothing that strikes me as a really big deal that wasn't already reported. rapiers not superior any more raised my eyebrow, but seems fine.

I never did understand why it was superior to begin with. If I recall, Rapier was military in 3.5...

Otherwise, no paragon requirement for the defense buff feats? That seems a bit broken.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:57 pm
Dion Necurat
SporkMaster5000

I never did understand why it was superior to begin with. If I recall, Rapier was military in 3.5...

Otherwise, no paragon requirement for the defense buff feats? That seems a bit broken.
This. The Rapier in 4th is mundane enough that it doesn't warrant it being on Superior.

The Weapon Training feat nerf makes no sense. Well, kinda, as it lets pure Str characters deal more damage, but still...

And HOORAY for characters now able to choose an alternate second stat boost!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:34 pm
Keith Valken Lionheart
Dion Necurat
SporkMaster5000

This. The Rapier in 4th is mundane enough that it doesn't warrant it being on Superior.

The Weapon Training feat nerf makes no sense. Well, kinda, as it lets pure Str characters deal more damage, but still...

it was stated in an article somewhere on their site that melee training was nerfed because of essentials classes that function purely of MBAs, so that there was some incentive to go with a Str base instead of just what the ******** ever stat you want. At the very least i think they should make an intelligent blademaster equivalent for battleminds to balance the change though.

also, i originally thought the rapier was superior because it compared so very favorably next to the short sword, which was the military +3 prof light blade of choice, but i dunno.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:16 pm
SporkMaster5000
Keith Valken Lionheart
Dion Necurat
SporkMaster5000

it was stated in an article somewhere on their site that melee training was nerfed because of essentials classes that function purely of MBAs, so that there was some incentive to go with a Str base instead of just what the ******** ever stat you want. At the very least i think they should make an intelligent blademaster equivalent for battleminds to balance the change though.

also, i originally thought the rapier was superior because it compared so very favorably next to the short sword, which was the military +3 prof light blade of choice, but i dunno.
A 2 in damage shouldn't put the Rapier into Superior. As it is, it's a lightweight Longsword with less (read, none) properties. Compare it to, say, the Katar in the Superior table, which deals 1d6 damage, is very lightweight, and has the Offhand and High Crit properties, and I can see it's rightfully on the Superior side of weapons. A rapier is a 1d8 light blade, and has no properties, whilst a Longsword has the SAME stats as a Rapier, costs less and has the Versatile property, which makes it overall more useful. Only different in both is price, weight and one is a Heavy Blade whilst the other is a Light Blade, but that shouldn't determine whether it should be Superior or Military. At least not in this case. It seems to me they were trying to keep the Rogue from doing massive damage, which is the role of the class, but restricting them of a 1d8 light blade weapon. But why choose a Rapier when you have a Katar with the High Crit property?

Forgive the wall of text.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:17 pm
I'm lovin the human racial power, though.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:30 pm
Dion Necurat
I'm lovin the human racial power, though.
It is really nice, though I'd still pick the extra At-Will 75% of the time.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:42 pm
Keith Valken Lionheart
It seems to me they were trying to keep the Rogue from doing massive damage, which is the role of the class, but restricting them of a 1d8 light blade weapon. But why choose a Rapier when you have a Katar with the High Crit property?
this is actually irrelevant to the superior/military classification, as rogues don't get military weapon proficiency, or even simple, just specific named weapons, which the rapier is still not one of.

as for rapier not being worth being a superior weapon, in comparison to the longsword, no. But I didn't mean to compare it to the longsword, the rapier is to the short sword what the b*****d sword is to the longsword. same proficiency bonus, same class of weapon, bigger damage die. the only difference is that the rapier doesn't have the off-hand property.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:45 pm
Keith Valken Lionheart
SporkMaster5000
Keith Valken Lionheart
Dion Necurat
SporkMaster5000

A 2 in damage shouldn't put the Rapier into Superior. As it is, it's a lightweight Longsword with less (read, none) properties. Compare it to, say, the Katar in the Superior table, which deals 1d6 damage, is very lightweight, and has the Offhand and High Crit properties, and I can see it's rightfully on the Superior side of weapons. A rapier is a 1d8 light blade, and has no properties, whilst a Longsword has the SAME stats as a Rapier, costs less and has the Versatile property, which makes it overall more useful. Only different in both is price, weight and one is a Heavy Blade whilst the other is a Light Blade, but that shouldn't determine whether it should be Superior or Military. At least not in this case. It seems to me they were trying to keep the Rogue from doing massive damage, which is the role of the class, but restricting them of a 1d8 light blade weapon. But why choose a Rapier when you have a Katar with the High Crit property?

Forgive the wall of text.

The true benefit of a non-versatile 1h weapon is its accessibility to small heroes. The scimitar still has high crit, but the rapier is now a fair choice for gnome fighters who wants the edge of a +3 prof bonus. Rogues still don't get it without a feat, as they're proficient with specific weapons and not groups like military melee. I'm just glad for the image of a swordmage using a rapier, it certainly wasn't worth a feat before.

I'm just thrilled that dwarves can choose Str as a bonus. I know I didn't see a Stone Fist monk rely on Str when my Dwarf gives me a Wis bonus.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games