Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Christian friends
What is it like to speak in Tongue? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:55 am
I have a problem with people who 'speak in tongues'.
(Proceeds with small rant)

The instances recorded in the bible of people speaking in tongues always had someone there listening, and understanding what it was being spoken. Not God, but other people. Spouting gibberish that you have faith is another language that God understands is not, at least from my perspective, the gift that was written about, it's just gibberish. If you find yourself talking, and you don't know what it is your saying but people understand you, that is tongues. Not the gobbledey-gook spoken in churches with a bunch of flailing arms and seizures and 'Oh, look, they're speaking tongues! O_O' that happens to go on in quite a few churches today.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:38 am
1 Corinthians Ch13:1 Though I speak with the tounges of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as a sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Tounges works both ways. This gibberish you speak of is the language of angels. But love is our greatest comandment. So why would you say something that may make your brother stumble? They do it in faith. It is a gift from God to take in faith.

And read 1 Corinthians ch14 speakes about charity and tounges and how tounges works.  

Azkeel

Azkeel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:43 am
And for the main question how it feels. It feels good because you know you're blessed, that God has given you the faith to speak in tounges.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:45 am
I'm curious as to why, if tongues can be defined as a gibberish, the apostles are not Biblically recorded to have done it in that manner, or why the Bible does not go out of its way to clearly explain it in that way.  

rosadria

Le Pale to the Chief

7,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:27 am
The scriptures are True. You will find answers in the Scriptures, that is why the Lord, says, "If you seek, you shall find."

Tongues is a Heavenly Language. It's mainly a language proposed from within your Spirit, between you and God. It's a more intimate way of having a personal relationship with Him. The only way to find out if you have received the gift of tongues is basically just trying! Remember when the Lord said, "The Kingdom is like a hidden treasure." He wants us to discover our gifts, He has blessed us with. When I speak tongues, it's not technically "I" who speaks it, it's 'My Spirit' who speaks tongues, to proclaim grace, and faith. He loves us, and expects us to use our gifts boldly and wisely, (no matter what they are), tongues is a powerful gift, because it's a true personal relationship. There is also the gift of interpreting tongues. God always prepares His children in a church temple. There could be someone speaking in tongues, and the person in front to the left could be interpreting the tongues. That is how God works. God's characteristics are diverse, when it comes to gifts.

Verses About Tongues (speaking in)

And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
—Mark 16:15-18

When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
—Acts 2:1-4

While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared, “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?”
—Acts 10:44-47

And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying.
—Acts 19:6

Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But earnestly desire the higher gifts.
And I will show you a still more excellent way.
—1 Corinthians 12:27-31

Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy. For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation. The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church. Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up.
—1 Corinthians 14:1-5

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also. Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider say “Amen” to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying? For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up. I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.
—1 Corinthians 14:14-19

If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord. If anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized. So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. But all things should be done decently and in order.
—1 Corinthians 14:37-40

But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit,
—Jude 20

I do not see anywhere above where it is not clearer then that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:47 am
Quote:
And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. 7 And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, 11 both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.” 12 And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?” 13 But others mocking said, “They are filled with new wine.”
Acts 2:6-13 (ESV)

rosadria

Le Pale to the Chief

7,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:01 am
I hope what I have explained, is understandable enough. If not, I can always 'try' emphasize on what I said. God Bless :3

Christian friends

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff