Submit

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:59 pm
If I've missed a similar thread, my apologies.

I'm curious; does anyone else have a favorite annual event? Is there an event that is your favorite ever, annual or not? Please share what and why.

My annual favorite will probably become Stellar University Northshield. I've only attended once but the educational side of the SCA is what I love best.

My favorite event ever will take some more thought.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:09 am
My favorite event so far in terms of individual events was Gulf Wars 2010. In fact, that may turn out to be my favorite event to return to. I met some truly amazing folks there, especially in Al-Mahala, the Middle/Near Eastern encampment.

Cute incident: I grew up in a place that didn't really have any Jews to speak of, so "ask for the Jews" came to be a pretty good way for people to find me. Now, I live in a highly Jewish neighborhood, so "ask for the Jews" won't bring you to my doorstep. But when I got to Gulf Wars, I didn't give it a second thought. I was once again surrounded by Southern accents, so my childhood habit came to the forefront when someone asked where she could find my encampment. "Go to Al-Mahala," I told her, "and ask for the Jews." I hadn't even set up camp yet, and already someone was looking for me! I felt like some sort of movie star. Ten minutes later, after the person and her entourage had skipped merrily off in another direction, I realized wait a minute, I'm camping with other Middle Eastern personae. Surely there will be a lot of other Jews there. She's going to get lost on the way to us. What if she never finds us again? Not to worry -- she found us right away. Apparently my encampment of three people was the extent of the Jewish (in or out of persona) presence at Gulf Wars this year. o.O  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:45 am
Fields of Gold in Tir Bannog, Tir RIgh, An Tir - in June/July. The people are all amazing, and the site is absolutely incredible!! (Seriously, if you ever get the chance, go. See it. The buildings are incredible! There's a Medieval Inn, a Sod House, an Italian Palazzo, an archery range -- the list just goes on and gets added to every year. Not to mention it's out 'in the middle of nowhere' - but still a quick drive to town. SURROUNDED by gorgeous trees and fields!)

The Penguin Crusade in Cae Mor is a VERY close second, in April/May. Equally awesome people - but the site isn't nearly as incredible as the Fields of Gold site. biggrin heart  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:16 am
My favorite single event that I've attended was a Norse Life and Culture Symposium in Three Hills. That was an awesome event, full of information and interesting people.  

Runa Whynd

Seilde

Aged Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:40 pm
I have to make it to Gulf Wars every year. I've managed to do so every year since I've joined the society. biggrin

Next year I hope to have a period tent for war. I'm so excited! rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:26 am
Alan, where do you camp? This past year, I was at my first Gulf Wars, and my party camped with Al-Mahala.  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Seilde

Aged Werewolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:43 pm
Divash
Alan, where do you camp? This past year, I was at my first Gulf Wars, and my party camped with Al-Mahala.
I camp with my house hold, White Lynx. It's way in the back. From Four Corners you go down Kings HWY and then merge left onto Bearkiller Lane and we're the very very last encampment. We're there every year. biggrin Maybe next year you can come visit. We'd be more than happy to have you.  
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games