Welcome to Gaia! ::

Green; The Eco Guild [LARGEST ON GAIA!]

Back to Guilds

If you love the earth, and want to be part of a group with the same ideals, this is the guild for you! 

Tags: Ecosystem, green, earth, water, clean 

Reply 5:: Topic: Resources.
I'm a PC, and I've got a dirty secret.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should companies be penalized, or forced to have a standard on where they obtain their materials?
  Yes
  No
  I don't care
  It doesn't matter
View Results

Chayce West

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:02 pm
Conflict minerals! This is seriously, rather depressing (Since I love technology. I just luuuuuuuuv it. Can't live without my I-pod, my cell, or my laptop. It's so hard :C)
The following video sheds light on this environmental, and social disaster.

Im a Mac, and Ive Got a Dirty Secret  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:52 am
You're right, that is really depressing. I can't live with without my computer and ipod either, although I could easily get rid of my cell phone if my parents let me. They always make sure I carry my phone with me wherever I go in case I "get into trouble." stare

I just saw Blood Diamond the other day, which is about conflict diamonds. It was really sad, but since I don't really wear diamonds anyway, this whole conflict minerals thing didn't really get to me until you posted this vid. I already own an ipod, computer, and cell phone, so to avoid buying things with conflict minerals in them I'll try to keep my gadgets in good condition as long as possible.

Stars Flying
Vice Captain

Chayce West

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:17 pm
Stars Flying
You're right, that is really depressing. I can't live with without my computer and ipod either, although I could easily get rid of my cell phone if my parents let me. They always make sure I carry my phone with me wherever I go in case I "get into trouble." stare

I just saw Blood Diamond the other day, which is about conflict diamonds. It was really sad, but since I don't really wear diamonds anyway, this whole conflict minerals thing didn't really get to me until you posted this vid. I already own an ipod, computer, and cell phone, so to avoid buying things with conflict minerals in them I'll try to keep my gadgets in good condition as long as possible.

Same here biggrin I'm going to try and keep the technology I have for as long as possible. It's about time we start a petition and hold these companies responsible for ruining a country.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:37 pm
until they fix this, i pledge to only buy used electronics and only when absolutely necessary.  

neufchatel

Shameless Worshipper

10,800 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100

Hurricane Islandheart

9,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:04 pm
It's great that you guys have become aware of this! One of the important things that will help you see what goes into our things, such as our electronics, is learning about where they come from and what conditions the people who provide them live in.

This video is a great resource that explains where our stuff comes from and what happens to it when we throw it away: http://www.storyofstuff.com/ Just click on the button that says "Stuff" or click the Play arrow right on the video on the front page.

The video is about 20 minutes long, but Annie Leonard does a fantastic job of breaking it down using pictures to make it easy to follow, as well as easy to go back to specific segments to look at them again without watching the whole video again. (Please watch the whole video straight through the first time, however.)

Unfortunately, minerals and gemstones are not the only things in our economy that are brought here on the back of suffering of others. Even things like some of our imported oil come from stricken areas where violence is a direct result of our imports. (This article is about Blood Oil in Nigeria, but it happens in many other places, too. http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/02/junger200702 This is even outside the arguments that our war in Iraq is a blood-for-oil trade.)

The upside is, as more people are made aware and have facts to back them up, we can put pressure on companies and our government to prevent the imports of blood minerals, gemstones and other products. If we don't reward companies and countries who do this, their motivation drops off immediately.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:06 pm
DUDE that is freaking RIDICULOUS!

D:
Almost a year ago, I got my cellphone new(only because everything w/a keyboard was going for the same price as the blitz cost new with a warranty).
I bought my ipod touch new because I had been lusting after one for a while, and when i got my teeth pulled I didn't wanna have to wait for one in the mail or anything.

Then turn around, my dad says that "If a person is selling their used laptop there is a reason they're selling it"

Umm yeah dad, because they got a FANCIER COMPUTER?

Meh, that was a discussion my dad and I had about my buying my best friend's old netbook for college.
My dad turned around and got me a new dell laptop(which I also have to pay him back for >_> which is lame cuz i really had no say in what computer I got)

BUT My mom reeeaaallly wanted a netbook so she is adopting my friend's netbook. :3

But yeah, have you ever heard of last years model? http://lastyearsmodel.org/

All of my PDAs before(the Tungsten e2, blackberry and samsung sch-i1730) were ALL used, all 3 of my computers, used ones, my ipod nano, used. razz

Of course, I'm going to recycle my oldest computers, but my older desktop(it works GREAT) I'm giving to a friend because he doesn't have one of his own.

I felt guilty for getting new electronics, but I know I'll hand em down when/if i upgrade...

ONE thing you want to look out for is where you can locally recycle your old electronics! :3 Then they don't get tossed out with the garbage! :3

Also, if you go to yardsales, you can get some snazzy devices! biggrin And I'm surprised more people don't think to sell their old technology too! D:

But yeah, I guess the most important thing to consider is, when you're thinking of getting a new device, shop around for a used version. If you can't get one used, think to yourself, "Is it necessary?" and also "If I get tired of it, will i be able to give it away?"  

Sakakikala
Crew

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
5:: Topic: Resources.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items