Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
When is a topic too old? (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Knight of Duplicity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:44 pm
So how old can a topic be before it is considered "necroing" to post in it? Anything not on the first few pages? A day old? A week? More?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:35 pm
Hmm... I'd say it would depend on the forum and the topic.
Are you asking about necroing in just this guild?
The guild has no official rule on this subject, but yeah, there's always an unspoken necroing-is-bad rule.

Just use your best guess. I'd say a general rule of thumb would be to stick to topics on the first page. Maaaybe the second page if the topic is still relevant and it's been a busy day in the guild. If the thread is about something like a Gaia event that happened over a week ago, it's probably best to leave it alone. Necroing topics just confuses people who don't read the times that posts were submitted.

If a thread is old, but people have still been posting on it, then it's not /too old/. We don't just throw away threads once they're a year old or anything. But if no one has posted in the topic for a very long time... and the topic is no longer relevant... then do not post in it. In that case, I think, you'd be better off creating a new thread to discuss that topic.

Since this is all just general opinion, it would be good if we can get a lot of people to comment on this so we could get an overall feeling about how old is too old. ^^

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

HaHaHarleen

7,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:49 pm
idk maybe like 2 weeks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:09 pm
depends on topic. However the average time is 7 days  

William Robinson

JoyRose
Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:11 pm
It depends on the context. If the subject is "new" again, it's ok to "resurrect" an old thread about it. I've seen this happen in Site Feedback from time to time as old topics are revisited because things have changed since the last post. But usually if no one has posted for a week in the topic, it's probably "old news" and a new topic would be of more interest to the general population.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:14 am
Seven days and if the little note on the side hasn't flashed Orange by then, the thread is dead. Also, talk to the thread creator. Thats a good starting point to see if its dead or not.  

The Odd Wolf

5,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Cart Raider 100

Vanilla Von Cherry

Dapper Smoker

6,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:29 pm