No
View Results

-l- CHAT -l-

Lonely Humorist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:15 pm
I don't know if this has been posted before but just in case
*I'm also copying this from Here for people too lazy to click links

I thought it might be helpful to some as it was for me when I found it

I am only posting 7/9 of the foods listed because they mention cats or seem something a cat would eat

Avocado
While many pet owners say they feed their pets avocados with no problems, studies have shown that their leaves, fruit, seeds and bark can contain a toxin called Persin. According to the ASPCA, the Guatemalan variety, which is commonly found in stores, contains the most toxicity.

Onions, onion powder, chives and garlic
These all can lead to gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage. All forms of onion can cause problems including dehydrated onions, raw and cooked onions. Cats are more susceptible than dogs, but it can be toxic to both.

Yeast dough
Dough that is not cooked and contains yeast can rise in your pet’s stomach, causing pain, and can potentially cause the intestines to rupture. This risk diminishes once the dough is cooked.

Left-over bones
Left-over bones pose a choking hazard to pets, and they can also splinter and puncture your pet’s gut or intestine. Additionally, do not feed your pet undercooked meat or eggs, as they can contain harmful bacteria.

Foods with a high salt or fat content
Excessive fats can cause upset stomach and potentially inflame the pancreas causing pancreatitis. Salty foods can pose a risk for the development of sodium ion toxicosis, according to the ASPCA. Be aware that if your pet gets into food with a high fat or salt content, she could experience stomach problems including diarrhea and vomiting.

Chocolate, coffee, alcohol (DUH)
According to the ASPCA, the substances in chocolate, coffee, and caffeine, methlxanthines, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures, and potentially death in pets. The higher the cocoa percentage, the more dangerous the chocolate is, making dark chocolate more toxic than milk or white chocolate. All these products can cause vomiting, diarrhea and even death.

Sugarless candies (products sweetened with xylitol)
This compound can cause liver damage and even death in some more vulnerable dogs. Xylitol is in many products including gum, candy, sugar-free cookies and toothpaste.

*AGAIN I am copying this from Here for people too lazy to click links  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:20 pm
well raw meat and bones are actually pretty good for cats. it helps with their immunity and keeps their teeth clean

of course there is still plenty of debate about raw feeding but since its what they eat in the wild and have only been eating premade diets for about 100 years i believe that raw is one of the better things you can feed a cat  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

-l- CHAT -l-

Lonely Humorist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:05 pm
I also plan on feeding my cat raw meats mixed in with their food
It's just the fear that some people may not buy it/feed it fresh
And the only fear I have with bones is the small ones I have no problem myself with ones that they can't swallow only nibble on
(With meats still on it of course C: <3 )  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:42 pm
i would love to feed raw to my cat but my fiance doesnt like the idea of raw feeding, plus my cat wont take chunks of meat, he only eats catfood xp it sucks because i know he would do so well on a raw diet.

but yeah, raw isnt the best thing unles syou do alot of research. its not just about using bad meat, not alot of people know the nutritional needs of a cat and may assume that they only need raw meat/protein and nothing else  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Sleep Isabella

Adorable Sweetheart

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:58 pm
So for salty foods...my male kitten likes eating Dorito's Nacho Chease chips. I feed him pieces smaller than the tip of my fingers. He doesn't experience anything that is described...

He also loves noodles covered in chease sauce and ramen chicken noodles.

And apparently he likes angelfood cake because he started digging into it when I left it on the island in the kitchen by accident a few weeks ago.

I feed the others ramen noodles, but it's mostly Adam that likes getting into people food.

I haven't seen him experience anything bad...but I'm curious. Can I feed them these foods or is it more harmful to their development?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:43 pm
Sleep Isabella
So for salty foods...my male kitten likes eating Dorito's Nacho Chease chips. I feed him pieces smaller than the tip of my fingers. He doesn't experience anything that is described...

He also loves noodles covered in chease sauce and ramen chicken noodles.

And apparently he likes angelfood cake because he started digging into it when I left it on the island in the kitchen by accident a few weeks ago.

I feed the others ramen noodles, but it's mostly Adam that likes getting into people food.

I haven't seen him experience anything bad...but I'm curious. Can I feed them these foods or is it more harmful to their development?

If you feed them these foods try to keep it at a minimum
Like treats for good behavior like when litter box training  

-l- CHAT -l-

Lonely Humorist

Sleep Isabella

Adorable Sweetheart

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:10 am
Ok, thanks. ^^  
An abnormal love of cats

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash