Witty Detective

21,990 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Megathread 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:07 am
Meriru
User Image

Does anyone else here make onigiri? I need filling suggestions. So far I've only done crab and egg, salmon and egg, and tuna and egg.

Anyone else have creative fillings for onigiri? whee

I have filled mine with a slice of hot dog. Other good choices are: umeboshi (very sour) or other pickled fruits/vegetables, seaweed, shrimp tempura or azuki beans  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:14 am
Ive tried rice balls.My favorite is salmon.I cant give any ideas though,sorry.  

tetokasane36

sbibi

Invisible Punching Bag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:39 pm
how do you make it? o-o?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:39 am
sbibi
how do you make it? o-o?

All you have to do is cook Japanese rice, put salt, and then shape it. You can stuff other foods inside of it. The people who posted in this thread gave nice suggestions for fillings. It's really easy to make onigiri, especially if you have a shaper.  

Meriru

Shimakuwa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:57 am
Meriru
sbibi
how do you make it? o-o?

All you have to do is cook Japanese rice, put salt, and then shape it. You can stuff other foods inside of it. The people who posted in this thread gave nice suggestions for fillings. It's really easy to make onigiri, especially if you have a shaper.

Or if you have hands. As.. some people take it for granted that we have hands.

For whoever does not have a shaper and are going to use their hands, you'll want the rice hot even.. though, well, it's hot. Get your hand a little wet and put salt, shape it to the way that you want.. in a way that won't make it fall apart. Wet the Seaweed and wrap that around the rice and wala.

Or.. that's the way I do it.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:28 am
iPono
Meriru
sbibi
how do you make it? o-o?

Or if you have hands. As.. some people take it for granted that we have hands.

For whoever does not have a shaper and are going to use their hands, you'll want the rice hot even.. though, well, it's hot. Get your hand a little wet and put salt, shape it to the way that you want.. in a way that won't make it fall apart. Wet the Seaweed and wrap that around the rice and wala.

Or.. that's the way I do it.

I can't make a pretty triangle with just my hands though! gonk
So I resort to those shapers. Lol.
Now if I'm in a hurry, I just turn them literally into balls. xd  

Meriru

xXKhazthiel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:23 pm
You could try putting umeboshi in the onigiri.
My favorite  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:58 am
Yes I've only had them home made though. They're best when there's a surprise insdie. I like the little packets that have onigiri's flavorings but I haven't been able to use them yet. Not too too fond on nori though. Tastes too fishy, so I only use small peices. I wonder if there's anything else I could use in place of it?  

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:07 am
Cassandra Reign
I made Onigiri wrong once because I see most people use plastic to make the balls and I didn't :p
I've used potatoes to make onigiri. And I've wanted to try fruits like strawberry
What how do you make them out of potatoes?
Try it with fruit, don't use nori, drizzle honey on it and put some strawberries in the middle or mix in small chunks, will be yummy.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:10 am
Asukusa
Hime83
I really want to make an onigiri!! However I really don't know how to make it...I did try once but I kinda failed..like REALLY failed... sweatdrop I need hints and clues to how to make one...mostly the shape...

They have the plastic shapes. Otherwise, get your hands wet so that you can roll the rice into a ball, or at least I roll mine into a ball when it's hand made, put salt on your hands too than wrap it up with nori.
Use plastic wrap and shape with your hands till you get the desired shape. The shapers are really cheap you can find them on jlist but they take a little while to ship. Definatly try ebay though.  

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:11 am
Meriru
sbibi
how do you make it? o-o?

You don't even have to use japanese rice, any rice works but sushi rice sticks the best, you may find other rice falling apart.  
Japanese culture

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff