Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
DYNAMICS!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

volume change/dynamics in writing:
  YES! i like to emphasize what i write! (excited... whee!)
  i rarely do anything different while typing. people can take from my words what they want.
  EMOTES! YAYYY!!!! *~^-^~*
  ... i have musical farts o_o;
View Results

~DR.MOOFASA~

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:22 pm
Here's a thought, guys:

Musical/Emotional ways to Type!

Do you do anything in written form that really can't be explained but as a way of doing something that can't be written?

See, I was just thinking about how sometimes I write in tiny text as a way of kinda 'whispering' it to the person I'm replying to. But sometimes that tiny text AGGRAVATES PEOPLE and I've been told to Stop It on several occasions. xd

But lets put it this way: I'm a musician. I inject emotion/emphasis into things i type because you guys can't see my face! lol Ridiculous, right? But I'm not the only one who does it. People use capital letters or go bold when 'yelling' online. Use tiny text when whispering/admitting something they wouldn't normally say out loud. Or using emoticons at different points in a paragraph 4laugh . These all remind me of the kinds of dynamics you'd see on sheet music!

SO ATG!!! (yes, that was being louder about it xD)
Even if you're not musical
:
- Do you use different sized text/different color text to change the tone of what you're saying as if it were "volume"?
- Do you like to spam emoticons, or use carefully constructed phrasing to emphasize or de-emphasize what you write?
- Do you sometimes lose your temper and lose control of the ability to use lower case letters? blaugh
- Do you have musical farts? ... o.o (maybe not relevant..)
And for those of you who love ninja-text like i do ...and/or have seen 'cloudy with a chance of meatballs' :

MOTIVATING! WRITING! THINKING! ... STEVE!!!! xD ...just watch, you'll love that movie.

RO-BATTLE DISCUSS!  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:05 pm
Yes! I do this too! Maybe not the extent you do, but still some. I also add more letters to words when I'm whining or being sarcastic or something like that. (Heeeeey...)
I also use a ton of emoticons, because when I talk to someone I have a lot of different facial expressions, and I sort of feel like I can't get across my full meaning without them. :3
Oddly enough, when I get angry, I type a lot more precisely and formally than I usually do. I don't know why. xd  

pickle relish

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:15 pm
Tottaly. I use lots of emotes sometimes in a hellishly long post because my expresion changes all the freakin time. I do something like you.  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:56 pm
I do type small (well, smaller...I already type in size 9!) to speak in a whispering way, and I do capitalize words to either "yell" them or simply to emphasize just ONE word in particular...see what I mean? Or I use italics for that...but that's more effort... sweatdrop  

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:04 pm
I do...at times

when I'm not feeling ungodly lazy.  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:36 pm
Well, I always use bolded text, but that's just because it makes it a little more readable, since I also write in bright pink font. If I want to YELL, I put everything in caps, or just increase my font size. blaugh  

PixiecuTT

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:18 pm
Yeah...all the time. xp I use caps only when I'm making a point WHICH MUST BE SHOUTED TO ALL OF GAIAAAAA! xd

btw...reading the word "dynamics" gave me a lovely flashback to high school chorus, where I had an awesome chorus director who insisted that we pay a great deal of attention to the dynamics of each song. We grumbled about it....but damn did he ever make our group sound awesome. xd I miss that chorus.  
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:12 pm
Kals is questing again!

I tend to type dynamically on a regular basis, particularly in the IRC. I am too lazy to code for italics here, so I tend to use the IRC convention of putting things I want italicised in between some /forward slashes/ and things that ought to be bold in *asterisks*. I don't always capitalize things in a grammatically correct manner, but I DO occasionally use caps for emphasis or for YELLING things like "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?" I also use stupid internetz talk for comedic effect, but in my head I am pronouncing 'u' like 'uh' and not like 'you', and 'r' like 'err' instead of 'are' when I type those things. When chatspeak enters my lexicon, I'm generally being either sarcastic or just very silly.

Dynamics really ARE important in music. As someone who aims to make a profession out of choral music, I think a great deal about dynamics and shaping phrases to make their meaning come out clearly et cetera.

Also, I totally have musical farts. Since my butt-trumpet is permanently attached to my person, I tend to bring it with me wherever I go. I also belch musically (much to the amusement of others, and usually by accident) and yawn musically (I frequently yawn in a descending major triad pattern). I do this without thinking about it or intending it.

Check sig for details!

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

~DR.MOOFASA~

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:38 pm
OHHHHH guys.. i love yew guys 4laugh

*to pickle*
y'know, i've noticed the hint of playful sarcasm with the "Heeeeeeyy" xD
see... i also think that they way someone types when they're angry has a lot to do with how they ACTUALLY are when angry. me? i lose my temper and make undecipherable noises (kinda like a tantrum) when mad. so it stands to reason why i use the "yelling". but i can see you knowing exactly what you want to say when angry and knowing just how to make it sting, which may be why you're precise (no offense =3 i have a great deal of respect for precise arguers)? or hey, maybe you're just a gramm-onista ^^ (assumptions, i know...)

*emm*
4laugh gonk pirate rofl crying sweatdrop ... cool word.

*waku*
i have to agree... using italics does seem like a bit more stretch for less impact. O_o
also, i don't recall ever seeing your text get temporarily smaller xD

*arc*
heh... effort. who needs it, right? lol
i think that's part of why you always seem so laid back, though. cool

*pixie*
yeah... we both do that ^^ i never noticed but pink actually IS easier to read if it's bolder.

*kyla*
ok... for some reason... everytime you make a bold statement, shouted to the gaian-heavens ... i picture the chairman in iron chef xD there's always a little animated version of you in my head when you use caps... that thrusts it's arms forward in victory!

*kals*
ay can haz speshall kals for brekkie? Joo haz cerialz? xD
chat speak is fun ^^ no shame in liking and using it. especially when you're too focused on getting out what you wanted to say to properly format the comment.

heh... i seem to have musical bodily functions at the worst times sweatdrop sometimes i just have to tell my friends that my stomach is 'rumbling' ... when they probably know i'm ready to burst, kekeke. (also... is it wrong that i have a butt trumpet AND can play trumpet simulated farts? xD ... among other sound effects on my 'axe' =D)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*kyla AND kals .. and anyone generally interested in musical dynamics*
...the thing with being taught all about dynamics in school with music... you never really think about what a difference it makes until you notice the dynamics not being there. we had a teacher who would try to get us to enunciate by telling us to "open our MOUUUUUUUTHZ" ... and then pulling some immaginary line from her bottom lip. rolleyes BUT! rest assured, my high school music teachers emphasized dynamics too, and MAN did it make a difference to the whole peice. they made songs like 'all that jazz' more capable of making your bum dance... or making 'yellow submarine' more entrancingly happy. O_o eerily happy. xD ...i think the dynamics are a HUGE part of how much you can feel the music (star wars themes for example) ^^ woot.  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:09 pm
me? laid back? yeah, I suppose so...

regarding musical dynamics though, my band director stressed that to an extreme...besides, how loud or soft you are tends to make or break a piece of music. Especially a vocal piece, with a vocalist who has a voice like a goddess...the band is supposed to be there, but not overpower the little person -_- damn brass...  

Arcanas

Hunter

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:22 am
@Dr. Moofasa: Sweet. (not in those ammounts tho)  
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games