Welcome to Gaia! ::

Elves on Bookshelves - The Bookcase for Friends of Fantasy

Back to Guilds

A literate guild for readers: We mainly discuss books, but feel free to share jokes and real life issues; we'll laugh and cry with you. 

Tags: contests & quests & advice for writers, faery games and medieval quizzes, original poetry, fan art and fiction, library of myths and legends, fun magic wizard, bookworm & bibliophile 

Reply Shh, the Librarians Will Never Know We're Here!
Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elf on a Bookshelf
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:47 pm
The books in the trilogy are:
Daughter of the Blood
Heir to the Shadows
Queen of the Darkness

There are also several companion books to the series.

Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:54 pm
I read Daughter of the Blood.

The Good:
I found the hierarchy and politics of the world to be original and well-developed, and I definitely liked the moral that an honourable man desires to serve and defend an honourable lady. biggrin

The Not-as-Good:
The graphic sexual violence was well-written, and I appreciate that Bishop had the courage to "go there" with it, but it got to be too much for me. All of he *****, the public "shaving" castration...I don't mind A BIT of that since I know there unfortunately are people/places that practice it, however, the sheer amount of disturbing sexual acts got to be too much for me.

Conclusive Opinion:
Overall, it was a well-done book, and I've recommended it to some friends that I think would like it (mostly friends with a taste for dangerous, seductive male characters!); I just haven't suggested it to individuals that possess the same personal preference for “violence in moderation” that I have.

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Captain

Lilium_nocturne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:57 pm
One of my favorite series of dark fantasy. I loved the races, the approach to magic and the development of the characters. I don't enjoy very many female writers, so that says alot coming from me (just one of those things).

Um... the ***** stuff was horrific for me, as I think it was meant to be. I would like to see a world guide book maybe. A friend that I had read the series (who's EXTREMELY detailed oriented) had alot of questions about the world and its history and inner workings. It would be fun I think.  
Shh, the Librarians Will Never Know We're Here!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games