Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Furry Critters Guild TFCG

Back to Guilds

This Guild is about Animals, You can Chat, Ask/Answer Questions, Role Play, Post Pics and lots more! 

Tags: Animals, Pets, Interests, Creatures, Chat 

Reply ~!~ The Furry Critters Guild TFCG ~!~
Dry itchy skin?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mystic_moon15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:29 pm
My border collie since we got rid of the fleas has still been scratching, chewing and licking himself like crazy i am constantly telling him to stop but i need to know how to stop the itch i tryed oatmeal shampoo but it didn't help. i dont know what else to use any help would be nice right now we are broke we spent the rest of our money for the month on his shots and flee meds.

I thought about benidryl but i dont know how much to give him he is 40lbs give or take a lb.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:54 pm
i can't help you with this D: sorryy  

Kuroos

Ice-Cold Cat

Sparky1800

7,175 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:53 pm
I had the same problem with my dog so I bought her Hydrocortisone spray for itching and skin irritations and it works really good. It's good for cats and dogs.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:54 pm
Sparky1800
I had the same problem with my dog so I bought her Hydrocortisone spray for itching and skin irritations and it works really good. It's good for cats and dogs.

does this affect there hair? he has long hair and most things seem to stick to the top and not reach his skin? i was told but a couple of people to give him benidryl but i dont know how much to use. he is 40lbs and i know they told me for my lil one to give her one MG for every lb but if i did that with him he would take almost as much as me and that just doesnt seem right so does any one know how mch to give a forty lb dog?  

Mystic_moon15

Xana44
Crew

3,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:45 am
You can give your dog 50 mg of benadryl, twice a day. Dogs do need more than people per weight. The one mg per lb is right, but as vets, we usually round to the easiest dosage per tablet or capsule.

You might also consider putting a teaspoon of olive oil on his food once a day as that helps with dry skin.

The cortisone spray is not a bad idea also, just ruffle your dog's fur backwards as you are spraying to get to the skin.

I hope this helps you out!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:34 am
yes it does thanks alot.  

Mystic_moon15

~!~ The Furry Critters Guild TFCG ~!~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out