Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
D20 Mod 4e?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:14 pm
Is there any chance of there being a 4e version of d20 modern??

Reason being that i really want to play/run a Zombie apocalypse game, after watching Zombieland a lot, but i found that the D20 modern game is a lil difficult and that 4e is really easy on the DM...  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:37 pm
The thoughts of such a game have occurred to me. I figure most "powers" would be represented as weapon-granted abilities (some as AWs, some as Encounters that refresh if you expend an ammo item during combat, Standard Action to reload?). Some utility powers, and/or skill powers (PHB3) would be useful for fleshing out the 'talents' of the various classes.

Nothing I've actually put on paper or anything yet.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:24 am
@Vora - I wouldn't say 4e was easy on the DM, easier certaintly, it much nicer to not have to convert challenge rating versus party level blah blah to get exp. and they have streamlined many things, but the DM's job is still a big one.

I was wondering this, since I want to play a fallout style dnd game. And so I spent many many hours of my life trying to mess around with the 4e stuff to this end. I didn't do too much actual new stuff, just cosmetic changes mostly, but I think I ended up writing about 30000 words... when I get back on monday, I can upload something of what I've done if you want, for you to peruse at your leisure, just for funsies really.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:02 pm
I once got into an argument with a guy, insisting that this would be out by late 2008. Shows me.

I've had some hopes of this as well, and the 4e rules as written can work for a limited selection of modern, or at least real-world settings. For instance I've been eager to run a modern Castlevania game once my DM load lightens. The key problems of the rules as-written in a modern game are typically the reliance on melee weapons for most classes and the casual nature of magic. You could easily restrict players to humans-only and martial-classes only. You'd have to loosen the definition of what constitutes certain types of armor. Is a leather jacket leather armor? Would a duster count for hide? I can't remember if there are tips or not in the DMG for running the game without magic items, but I think the assumption was just to give players a +1 to attacks, damage, defenses and AC every couple levels.

Done in the 4e style, the d20 modern basic classes are too broad, likely the more archetypal advanced classes would be stronger bases to frame a class around. If you think of the game in the terms of a crazy action movie, then it can work easily, but just bear in mind movie characters aren't likely to show you the same trick twice, much less once an encounter.

I guess the caveat with an apocalypse game is that in 4e everyone's a combatant. There's no skinny science-type who's only good in a skill challenge, or the whiner who's dead weight the whole time. The warlord fits the role a smart hero used in combat, with the exception that a warlord has to hit things himself often and relies on strength to do so. If you could do some heavy reskinning of the arcane classes, it could add a good bit of range to available character types, but people in zombie combat roles are typically limited to bash it or shoot it.

MP2 will have a ranged build for the warlord, that would be handy in this instance.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces