Submit

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:00 pm
Fresh rosemary convinced me tonight that I might have an untapped interest in herbs. So I turn to my fellow SCAdians for suggestions.

Now, please mind I don't have spare funds so I'm limited to what friends can give me of their herb growths. With that in mind, anything you think I should know off the bat? I plan to buy a mortar and pestle and to try some fresh herb use in my modern cooking.

Any use for the tea plant other than drinking? Just curious on this one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:09 pm
Tea is good for dying fabric. I know it is often used as a dye for modern needle arts linens. I would highly doubt it's periodness for Europe, though, as tea didn't really become a big thing there until the Victorian era, IIRC.  

Berzerker_prime

3,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:39 am
Oh, you remember quite correctly. I'm admittedly asking in modern terms as much as period. I'm posting here because herbalism was practiced in period, but I am open to modern uses as well. My limits are cost, time and space rather than authenticity.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:16 am
Hmm. I'll have to talk to Kathleen. She's our local herbal expert. I'm slowly manageing to gleen some info from her.

As to being low on funds, there's a lot of stuff that just grows in yards and such. Many so called weeds are great (and often period) herbs. My lawn is basically a fresh salad waiting to be picked. And Dandelions have many uses.  

Out to the Black

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:05 pm
*looks at rocky lawn outside flat scattered with cigarette buts and broken bottles* I'm happy for you and your lawn but going to have to pass on mine! xp

Now, if I were at my parents I'd be happy to give things a try. Northern WI woods, neighbors cross the street or at least an acre away to either side.

But, aside from my gripes on city living, I'd appreciate anything you or Kathleen could share with me. smile It is good to learn even if learning can't be immediately put into practice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:25 pm
Hmm, I'd know who to point you toward if you were interested in Anglo-Saxon herbs.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:30 pm
What does "Anglo-Saxon herbs" mean? Herbs classified by cultural use? I've not heard of such before, though it would make sense. By all means, point me, please.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:19 pm
Sorry I haven't posted back. I don't see much of Kathleen in the winter. I'll let you know if I get something though.

I do know that many herbs are fairly hardy and weed like so a window box or kithen herb pot might be doable.  

Out to the Black

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:19 pm
Sir_Catherine
What does "Anglo-Saxon herbs" mean? Herbs classified by cultural use? I've not heard of such before, though it would make sense. By all means, point me, please.
Herbs used during the anglo-saxon period in England.
Let's see, her username on Gaia is Tchipakkan, maybe some of her class is online.  
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games