Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply Health and Fitness
Fitness Goals

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I love to...
  Run!
  Swim!
  Weight Train!
  Dance!
  Other!
View Results

Roslin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:48 am
A lot of people are trying to lose weight, gain muscle mass or just get their overall fitness up. I'm curious as to what everyone's goals are so post away!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:51 am
Personally, for the next year I would like to:

* Lose my final 11 lbs
* Maintain my weight for the entire year
* Learn to cook more on my own
* Increase the weight I can lift
* Run a 5k in April

There is a 5k by the Bay in the next town over, Havre de Grace, MD. I've never been much of a runner. I used to have anxiety over running during tennis season so I thought it would be a nice challenge. I had been "running" on cross trainers and ellipticals all year and it's taken 70 lbs off of my body but it's not the same as actual running. So within the last two weeks I've started on the treadmill and when the snow disappears I'll try running outside.

I'm excited for Christmas because I think a Weight Watcher recipe book, an exercise ball, and some training gloves might be under the tree for me <3

Roslin

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:52 am
I hope you don't mind me using your template. I'm a lazy bum. xp

* Gain 10 lbs (my nutritionist said it'll probably take a few years though, because I'm actually healthy already and my metabolism is super fast)
* Swim 400m non-stop in 10 minutes
* Regularly eat 5-7 meals per day
* Squat at least 1.5 times my own weight
* Do 10 pull ups without assistance

My biggest problem is that I don't eat unless I'm hungry. And when I'm hungry, I normally don't eat to the point of fullness anyway. This is supposedly healthy but is completely counter to my goals.

I'm still slowly working my way up on the dumbells at home while the hole that used to house my wisdom tooth heals, but they're not enough at all. Can't wait to go back to Canada and use proper barbells and kettlebells as well, and heavier weights.

And I'm banned from swimming for a month. crying  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:39 am
Why aren't you allowed to swim? Being a strong enough swimmer to meet the life guard duties was one of my goals last year but I didn't work too much at it. I'm afraid of diving.

I'll trade you my food issues. Before I didn't know how it felt to be full, I just knew how it felt to feel stuffed, and I still have problems eating when I'm bored.

I have such a hard time with kettlebells D: Where are you where they don't have those basic pieces of equipment?

Roslin

Archon of Aegis

Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:49 am
I already won a 5k that had over 1000 people running so that goals done. I'd say right now my goal is to get in as good of shape as I was then though. I got really sick last year and fell out of shape so I'm trying to work my way back up to being able to run 20 miles straight.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:11 am
Year long goals?
(first one isn't exactly a fitness goal)

- Stick to my gym goals and watching what I eat.
( I did use Weight Watchers for a while, and lost five kilos (11-ish pounds) in one week (which should have been a warning in itself), but I was always thinking about food and points, even when I wasn’t eating, it was effecting my school work and this year was my most important of all, seeing as it was my last one. I know what I need to function properly and feel content, I just don’t have much restraint, so that will be my biggest challenge this coming year, but I know I can do it, and I do like some of the Weight Watcher’s recipes and tips, I just don’t be adhering strictly to the points system, it doesn’t suit me, just eating more sensibly, I suppose.)

- get down to at least 79 kilos (I’m at 85-86 right now) , though, the healthiest for my height and build would be at 74-75.
- get my fitness up so I can run properly for longer than one to two minutes
xD

- I’m pretty tank, so maintain that.

- measure myself monthly, because due to weight training, I don’t always see results in the form of a weight shift, even though my clothes fit better and people comment that I look like I’ve lost weight, when the scales don’t say so, I gorge.... great way to go about things – eh?
xD

- go swimming more often and go to a few fitness classes to get the best out of my gym membership (seeing as I don’t pay for it (it was a gift from my parents), I don’t want to waste their money each month any longer – I just need to convince someone to come with me, because that’s the only reason I don’t go, I’m too shy to go to a class alone.)

- play squash, either on my own or with a friend once or twice a week when my mum goes (she's a competitive player, so I can use the courts when she's training/playing a match without a booking).

diffun

lgtenos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:27 am
Be able to do push-ups, sit-ups, and a 1.5 mile run by military standards.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:22 am
Roslin
Why aren't you allowed to swim? Being a strong enough swimmer to meet the life guard duties was one of my goals last year but I didn't work too much at it. I'm afraid of diving.

I'll trade you my food issues. Before I didn't know how it felt to be full, I just knew how it felt to feel stuffed, and I still have problems eating when I'm bored.

I have such a hard time with kettlebells D: Where are you where they don't have those basic pieces of equipment?

Dentist's orders. I'm not allowed to swim until my jaw-hole (a.k.a. part of the gum where my wisdom tooth used to be) is completely healed.

You kind of have to LEARN about being sensitive to your body. I really don't know how to explain it, except that you'll know it when you get it. I recommend you use lots and lots of plastic containers. I usually have a few containers full of mixed nuts and dried fruit wherever I go. Limit your eating by making sure you consume no more than what's in the container for a certain period of time. I don't think it's harmful to snack while you're bored though. The issue is more about WHAT you snack on. You can't go wrong with veggies as long as there's no dip. No dip at all.

I'm currently in Hong Kong for a family gathering (which is why I've been able to go on Gaia so much lately) but I return in a few days. Majority of the gyms here are full of complex machines and pansies who do things improperly/dangerously. Their free weight equipment is minimal. Kettlebells are non-existent. I'm quite sure there is a no-bullshit gym in Hong Kong but they're not well-known. I don't have any connections to find one. None of my Hong Kong friends are into martial arts or other sports that could possibly make use of weight training.  

shall she sail seas

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:27 pm
Well I'd like to get more exercise to get back in better shape like I used to be. But I've been saying that for a while. XD;
I've already started cooking healthier though. No more processed food for me! The interesting thing is that home-cooked food from scratch tastes sooooo much yummier. XD  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:03 am
100 push-ups
100 sit-ups
7 minute miles
12 minute mile 1 1/2
100 Flutter kicks

I am wanting to become a PJ later in my life when I join the USAF, does anyone have any tips to reach my goals?

Here is my current numbers in that order
?
?
?

I've been on something called a Gazelle, for an hour each day.

Breakfast: Oatmeal
Lunch: Sandwich
Dinner: Anything

please help, i need to lose this weight to join the usaf  

JuniorFirefighter61

ClearlyPixelated

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:11 am
Two year's ago I finally got my own kitchen (one that I didn't have to share with anyone else). Consequently I LOVE to cook...and with that eat...I'm now 30 lbs over from where I started before I got my kitchen. Oh the woes of the deliciousness!

My goals here at first are small:
* Run 1 mile non-stop on the treadmill
* Continue my nightly yoga class
* Get through one session of p90x without dying

Long Term:
* Lose the 30 lbs.
* Run a 5K without dying  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:37 pm
JuniorFirefighter61
100 push-ups
100 sit-ups
7 minute miles
12 minute mile 1 1/2
100 Flutter kicks

I am wanting to become a PJ later in my life when I join the USAF, does anyone have any tips to reach my goals?

Here is my current numbers in that order
?
?
?

I've been on something called a Gazelle, for an hour each day.

Breakfast: Oatmeal
Lunch: Sandwich
Dinner: Anything

please help, i need to lose this weight to join the usaf

I don't know what a Gazelle is but it sounds like a machine. In very general terms, machines just plain suck. You're better off doing free weights and plyometrics (Google it if necessary).

How often are you exercising? Ideally, exercise every other day and it HAS to be HARDCORE. No pansy low numbers where you can do 15 reps without breaking a sweat. 15 push-ups is not much. You're free to join us in this challenge even though it's ending pretty soon: http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=18048171

On top of that, you should be eating 5-7 meals per day. Never let yourself go without food for more than 3 hours. You need more protein and veg/fruits and less carbs (especially during breakfast).  

shall she sail seas

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:44 pm
I'm going to go ahead and update this while I'm here:

* Gain at LEAST 20 lbs. This requires further explanation. My two dream dinghies are the RS600 (first choice) and the Moth (second choice). The minimum competitive weight for these babies is around 145 lbs. Not that I want to be competitive but I'm bloody frackin' 99 lbs and I'd like to be able to control my boat like a sane human being.
* Swim 400m 600m non-stop in 10 minutes
* Regularly eat 5-7 meals per day
* Squat at least 1.5 times my own weight
* Do 10 pull ups without assistance  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:45 am
My goals:

1. Lose weight. The exact number is indeterminate, but about 50 pounds would probably be healthy for my height age etc.
2. Be able to put my hands flat on the ground. Become more flexible, really. I'm not at a bad place in flexibility, but it would be cool.
3. Be able to eat less. I am working on this! It's actually going very well-I am eating less than I used to and noticing more when I feel full. Even when I feel like snacking, I am trying very hard to limit it to things that are healthier-oranges, apples, etc, and not spoonfuls of Nutella!
4. Skate a half-marathon! I hate running, but like roller blading a lot, so I figure it would be super cool if I could do a whole 13 miles on skates!  

Annai-chansan

Health and Fitness

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff