Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply Health and Fitness
Cherry Thumbprint Cookie Recipe

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Roslin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:37 am
So I got this recipe out of a Weight Watcher holiday magazine. I made them this week and they are actually pretty good and not that hard to make.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
^This is how they look more or less^

Serves: 36

Ingredients
* 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
* 1/2 tsp. baking powder
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 1/2 cup light stick butter, softened
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
* 1/3 cup skinned hazelnuts, finely chopped
* 6 Tbsp. cherry jam (or spreadable fruit)

Instructions
1. Combine the flours, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.

2. Combine the butter, sugars and vanilla extract in a large bowl and mix with an electric beater until well blended. Reduce speed and gradually add the flour mixture until just blended.

3. Spread the hazelnuts on a plate. Form the dough by tablespoons into 1 inch balls and roll in the nuts. Place dough balls on a rimmed baking sheet. Make a 3/4 inch indentation in the center of each ball with your finger. Cover the cookies and freeze for 1 hour. (Cookie dough can be frozen and stored for up to 2 months).

4. Remove dough and let defrost for about an hour. Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.

5. Place the cookies on a baking sheet about 1 1/2 inch apart. (I suggest using parchment paper if you have it).

6. Bake cookies for 8 minutes then remove from the oven and press the back of a 1/2 teaspoon into the center of each cookie.

7. Fill the indentation with 1/2 teaspoon cherry jam/spreadable fruit. Bake the cookies for 2 to 4 more minutes, until cookies are golden and jam is set.

8. Let cool and then move to a cooling rack.

9. Cookies can be stored for up to 4 days.

Nutrition: (Serving Size: 1 cookie): 75 CAL, 2 G FAT, 1 G SAT FAT, 0 G TRANS FAT, 3 MG CHOL, 41 MG SOD, 13 G CARB, 1 G FIB, 1 G PROT, 11 MG CALC. POINTS VALUE: 1

Notes: The actual recipe does call for Cherry Jam but I have never seen a Cherry Jam and the closest thing I could find was spreadable fruit which has about the same consistency of jam but with less sugar. It seemed to work out so... Also make sure your butter is very softened because if it isn't it makes rolling the dough very hard. The first time I did this the butter was not soft enough and I had to microwave the dough to make the butter in it soften and to make the dough actually sticky.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:24 am
. . . .

Now you've made me really want to make raspberry thumbprint cookies again.

Best cookies everrrrrrrrrrrr gonk

Toast and Bananas

Tipsy Codger

Roslin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:54 am
Omg, these would be so good with raspberry!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:33 pm
Yum. D:

Wait, I have a chocolate cake recipe too. I think I'm going to make it now. 8D

Magic Chocolate Cake

1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
3/4 cup sugar or other sweetener
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup cold water

Preheat the oven to 350F. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder in a 9x9-inch baking dish and stir with a fork until mixed. Make a well in the center and add the vanilla, oil, vinegar, and water. Stir with a fork until well mixed. Clean the sides of the dish with a rubber spatula. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

It doesn't have nutritional information, but it's healthy because it uses oil instead of butter (which is saturated fat), no eggs, no dairy, and you can use a sugar substitute. :3 It's pretty tasty too. I make it because it doesn't have milk, which I can't digest.  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

beaulolais

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:22 pm
oh yum

and now i have the munchies so bad!  
Health and Fitness

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff